Still feeling down 6 months down the line

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tex

I was reading a thread started by Brian, about feeling down after having his OHS. This seems to be the norm for a lot of people. My problem is i am 6 months post surgery and still feel like this, cry at the drop of a hat for no reason, just cant be bothered to do much, even talking to my hubby who has been just been brillant is to much for me, he says i just sit there in my own little world. He asked whats wrong and all i can say is i dont know!!!!!!. I have lost my job well retired on ill health as they put it, my son going into the army the end of this month, then had problems with my sterum. I am on anti-depressants and have been for 4 months now, and i start counciling next week.
In a day i have a few hours where i feel normal what ever that means, but im sick of feeling like this, i was never like this before the operation, always worked for 28 years in a special school with kids with challenging behaviours which i loved, was always out and about with family and friends, i now make excuses not to go out.
Sometimes i think will i ever feel normal again. I cant thank the hospital for what they did for me, giving me my life back, but now i have this to deal with.
Does anybody else feel like this 6 months down the line.
Thanks Jane

Jane, Depression is very common after OHS. You may just not be on the right anti-depressant for you. Since you have been on this one for four months, I think you need to talk to your Dr. about trying something else. Counselling may also help. Unfortunately, it takes some people a longer time to feel "normal" again. Give it time, you'll get there.

Kim

I found myself going in circles like that. For me, it was the shock of surgery and the matter of actually surviving it, then coping with the idea of having artificial parts keeping me alive. Believe me, it was a real kick in my pants. I'd play it over and over in my head. I owned it, it possessed me.

One day I asked myself when was I going to realize I am alive and I need to stop this compulsive thinking and get on with what is otherwise a great life. Things that I missed because of programing at work suddenly jumped out at me and said, "Look at me, see me, touch me, feel me, I am life" and since then, I've taken a whole different mind set.

I still have a few down days, but it's mostly the unnecessary extra stressors that keep getting thrown in my face of which seems like being singled out for abuse, that really are the root cause of my down.

I have to agree with Kim, if your not feeling any better, then it's time for meds change and hopefully, once everything is in balance for you again, you can come off of them for good. ;)

Ditto what's already been said. It gets better with time. 6 months isn't a long time given how traumatic OHS is on your body and mind. Best wishes and good luck.

At 6 mths post op, I was still a wreck....physically and emotionally.
Jane, give yourself some more time. Try to go for a drive with your husband, look at some nice scenery, find a fun hobby, turn this into a time of renewal. You will get better and focusing on minor accomplishments helps alot.

Jane,
Don't beat yourself up over the depression. It takes each person a different amount of time to get back into the swing of things. Possibly some of your down feelings stem from being forced to quit doing the job you loved. If there is an organization where you could volunteer your time (reading to shut-ins or visiting senior citizen homes, etc.) that might give you a whole new lease on life. Your son going into the Army can also be a stressor. I know that my sister said my mom was down for a long time when I left California to go to basic training in S. Carolina. So try just getting out of the house a little bit each day, it doesn't have to be long. Breathe in the air, enjoy the day. Slow and steady will win the race.

Hi Jane,

You're not alone in feeling depressed following OHS. I'm dealing with those same feelings and finding myself still getting upset, especially during those times when I'm relating what happened to a healthcare provider or friend. I'm eleven weeks out now and found myself in this same situation during my evaluation meetings for cardiac rehab. The nurse told me in no uncertain terms that I should consider seeing a counselor to work out my issues. My main concern is that if I don't resolve this issue now, it will crop up if and when I ever have to have surgery again. I took the referral info, but haven't made the call yet--but I am considering it. Please keep posting, this is something that many of us need to talk about and I thank you for bringing it up.

I'm Jane, too.

I am 9 months out now and have just started saying aloud to myself "oh my goodness,,what did I do". The reality takes quite a while to set in.

I try to have a routine. This helps alot. I work a part time job also, which helps with my routine. I have been on antidepressants since 1990, long before my first surgery. I've been on trycyclics, SSRI's, u name it, for depression. I am now on generic celexa which seems to keep me from bad days. It is rough, but you are not alone. I have had counseling also, for a while, then I knew it was lifting. Sit in the sun, watch a good movie, breathe deeply, marvel over your having survived the surgery, count blessings, smell the roses, find pleasure in little things.

Jane, heart problems and depression often go hand in hand as any cardiologist will tell you. you are not the first vr member who has had some long term depression. Looking back, I can't recall it being permanent in any one of us (I have been a member for 10 yrs). Some dealt with it on their own, some their regular dr and a few tried the psychiatrist. If you are at the point that it is debilitating, you might consider another avenue than the one you are on. I wish you all the very best because depression is plain out and out awful. Blessins........

Tex,

Hello.....first, hats off to you for working with special needs people as you have done. I am a special ed teacher and the mom to a special needs son. It is definitely rewarding!

I had a very hard time with depression and I began to worry. I was already on Cymbalta. My neurologist moved me from 60 mg to 90 mg of the Cymbalta. I agree with the others....talk about a med change or get an increase in the meds if possible.

I feel like a new person. I felt just as you have before the increase.

Are you sleeping? I had a very hard time with insomnia, but have gotten on a small dose of ambien. It has helped me tremendosly.

I just can't stand for anyone to feel as you do. I hope you get some help.

Please keep us posted!

Hi Tex,

Well, I am 15 mos post surgery, and I still get depressed sometimes. I had several complications, which I think postponed my recovery, physically and emotionally. Physically, I am just starting to feel much better. I believe the rest will follow. I do take the lowest dose of Alprazolam to help me sleep, since my surgery. I am currently weaning myself off of this. I went to my cardio today, and my stress test according to him was " just perfect". The Dr. said as long as my yearly echo is good, and the other medical tests, I should not worry about some of the aches and pains. We all recover differently.

I do believe that part of your depression stems from the fact that you are used to working at a job that you enjoyed. Your life has changed considerably since your surgery. Six months is not a long time, believe me. Please don't be so hard on yourself. It WILL GET BETTER FOR YOU! Try to focus on something you enjoy. I believe it's perfectly normal, in fact, for you to be feeling this way.

I just want to thank everybody for our lovely replies to my thread, im sat here in tears reading them. I have made an appointment to go back and see my GP like some of you said i have been on Escitalopram 40mgs now for 4 months and they should be working. No i dont sleep at night perhaps a couple of hours if that, then im so tired during the day and if i do have a nap during the day i cant sleep at night. When i had my OHS i never imagined my life would turn out like this retired and on a pension at 45. They say they cant do risk assessments on me and also get insurance, so its bye bye Jane basically.
Thanks again for all your replies it helps to know that im not on my own feeling like this 6 months down the line.
God Bless you all
Jane

My Experience

My Experience

About 2 months out I was having irregular heartbeats, racing heart episodes, and was starting to obsess and getting depressed that I would never be "normal". I would check my pulse every five minutes, couldn't sleep, blah blah blah.

Long story short I got kind of mad, grabbed my girlfriend, jumped in my car and drove from Boise, Idaho to the Puget Sound through a blizzard, with me driving. We visited friends on the way, looked at horses, went wine tasting, rode ferries - and I never checked my pulse once on that trip.. I never had a racing heart episode again and have never looked back.

I don't know if you can call me normal but I am loving life. For me getting out of the house and changing the scenery was huge - go see the world is my advice.

Back