Still Debating.......!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryG

With less than 9 days and a wake up til surgery day, I am still trying to figure out in my mind with which valve to use as replacement. Part of me says go with mechanical other part says go with a non-mechanical.

I have tried to way the pros and cons and come out about even, at 53 I figure I would be ready for another surgery at 63 - 68 years of age if I go with non-mechanical, if I go with mechanical then probably never but on coumadin for the rest of my life........HELP, any real stories or suggestions..!

I guess if the surgery was today my gut would tell me go mechanical.....BUT :confused:

Harry,
You do have a tough choice just like all of us have had to do.
It is a very personal choice also.
Personally I would recommend a mechanical such as the St Jude I have.
The Coumadin can be a little pain sometime but no big deal.
It's a lot less of a pain then having more surgeries down the line.
It is all long behind me and I can tell you that there is NOTHING I can't or havn't done since.
That includes a lot of major remodeling around this house of ours.
I just try to be a little more careful these days.

Harry, I am 54 years old and will have the AVR this Wednesday the 14th. My surgeon matter of factly told me that I would have the mechancial valve. It was not until I found this website that I realized I had a decision to make. After much thought and speaking and reading and speaking and reading, I have decided to go with the bovine tissue valve. I know myself and I would find it very difficult to be reminded monthly, if not daily, that I had the operation by virtue of taking Coumadin and the required blood tests. I am a nervous enough person on a good day. If I have to worry about getting cut or eating the wrong food, that would drive me into my grave, even if I had a good valve at the time of death.

My cardio doc told me last week that he did a cath on a guy who had a mech. valve put in 15 years prior and he now had a leak. The valve itself was working properly, but it still had a leak and this guy will be going through another operation even though he probably thought the valve would outlive him.......bottom line, it is our decision to make and once we make it, it will be the right decision because we made it with the best information available, (thank god for this website).

Good Luck to you and I will psot new threads as I get back on my feet so you know how the trip up the mountain was for me!.

Be well
Mark
Ft. Lauderdale

Tissue Valve

Tissue Valve

I agree with Mark and although the arguements for getting a mech put in are quite convincing, I am also the nervous type and when I was talking to one of my friends the other day, she said that I would probably drive myself, and others to drink worrying about every wee thing. I'll be going to see my cardio in a few days in order to see how my 8 year old tissue valve is progressing. I am a bit worried because 6 months ago my echo showed that the calcification process has started, and I know very well where it ends up taking me, to the operating theatre. Anyway, no matter which choice we make, we'll always have to put up with something annoying. I've had three tissue valves, all mitral ones and I'll probably choose yet another one in the future, I hope.
I wish you luck with your choice

Débora from Brazil

Neither the survival nor stroke statistics will really help you make a decision, as they favor neither mechanical nor tissue.

If you are atheletic, you may still qualify for the Ross Procedure, although the line is hedgingly drawn at 50 years old on the Ross Registration site. There are studies that say that it can be successfully performed at 70, so someone is out there doing it.

Otherwise, the decision has more to do with lifestyle and personality.

At our age, based on the "If All Goes Well..." scenario, the choice is between taking the issues, monitoring, and dangers (smaller, but real) of Coumadin on a daily basis; or relative freedom for about eighteen years, followed by monitoring, then the risks of surgery at about twenty years, followed by relative freedom for the remainder of your life.

Basically, will you handle your risk in smaller, relatively continuous pieces, or in one, big lump? It's a lot like the lottery: Cash or Annuity?

I am delighted with my Mosaic tissue valve (porcine), and the freedom it has given me. There are others here with the Perimount Magna (bovine), who are equally pleased. I did not find surgery so bad that I would be willing to deal with the risks of anticoagulation therapy every day to avoid it. To me, the surgery is a very small window of time looking out onto many years of life.

Others here are delighted with their mechanicals, and fully feel that whatever they have had to deal with regarding Coumadin is a small price for avoiding the future surgery.

I suggest you read the Coumadin forums to gain a feel for some of the benefits, constraints, risks, and regular monitoring requirements of warfarin.

An aortic homograft will last 20-25 years, which now places it within the range of the other tissue valves, which have been further improved over the last year. The difference with homografts seems to be more evident in younger recipients, who calcify their xenograft models faster. As such, I have lumped it into tissue valves for our age group.

Best wishes,

Major Dilemma

Major Dilemma

Went for final test (PFT) prior to surgery on the 21st and my cardiologist and I talked in length in regards to my bicuspid valve on whether to replace or not.

The anyurisum needs to be taken care of but as far as the valve he states that the valve seems to be working fine and just a little tight and that it would probably be fine for 5-10 years, so the dilemma is do I replace or not :confused: If I am going to get hit by that truck why not just once?

I understand that with each procedure added to OHS increase in complications could be 1-2%, but my feeling is that they are in there lets get it handled but with which type of valve?

Also I understand the Dr's take on keeping what I have for now, in that no additional medicine i.e. coumadin would be needed and who knows what type of procedure would be needed down the road to replace i.e. minimally invasive?

I just don't know, and I need to contact my thorasic surgeons office on Friday to inform of my decision.............HELP :eek:

Harry, I want to wish you the best of luck with your decision and your surgery. I am leaving in a few hours for the hospital and will have my AVR tomorrow.

I wish I could tell you that I will write a new thread after the operation so you know how my adventure was, but I think I will still be in the hospital when you go in.....look forward to speaking with you when we both get back from the other side......I can't wait to stop using that expression!

Be well!

Mark
Ft. Laudedale
T - 1!

Best wishes

Best wishes

Best wishes to you and your family - you will all be in our thoughts over the next couple of days...Don't forget to have someone post your wonderful results!!!! And remember, next time you book a vacation you all might want to try a different resort....
Lois Lane

This type of problem is common enough that both types have off-the shelf valve-and-aorta replacements. The St. Judes Regent Master Series is probably the premier of the mechanicals, and the Medtronics Freestyle is likely the most prominent tissue combo.

I would take a look at the cath reports and echoes to determine how close the valve is. If you have any history of the tests, you can start to determine how fast it is going downhill. Remember, deterioration accelerates slightly over time, as the valve gets worse. (The worse it gets, the faster it gets worse.)

Why would he feel it is OK for you to plan to get another OHS in only five years, especially when the last year or two will be marked with poor heart performance? Also, would the replaced aortic segment be a good stitch-to, when they do replace the valve, or would it have to be replaced again also? And is there any reason to believe that the valve performance might go downhill faster, because of the aortic surgery? These sound like reasonable questions for the surgeon.

I have to say I can understand why you might not want to volunteer for two surgeries that may come so closely together. You get surgery, but then it's not over - you go stand in line again waiting for surgery in very short order. It would drive me nuts.

I wish you good fortune with the decision you make.

Best wishes,

Good Luck with your decision and your upcoming surgery. Where are you having your surgery done?
Kathy H.

Back