Still blue, are you?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dick0236

Dick0236

Well said. It is also important to have the support of all of your loved ones too as I have found out through lack of it from my eldest son.

Last edited:
I've lived my life in chronic anxiety until the beginning of this year. I was able to get rid of it on my own but I think the surgery has sucked my will and fortitude dry, so I need to focus on resolving my anxiety again. I need to stop focusing on all of the things that have gone wrong.

Yes family is most important, if I didn't have my husband I wouldn't know what to do. He's great at making me feel calm and he's been taking care of all the household stuff. My mom has been great as well, she comes over on her days off and makes lunch for me.

I had my surgery over a year ago. I believe that I suffered from some sort of anxiety disorder prior to surgery and after as well, so I'm not sure if anything has changed really. I must admit that I find myself more impatient. That is the biggest difference that I've noticed. I seem to have less tolerance and more irritability towards things.

Ejc I feel the same. I'm very irritable and impatient. I've found myself taking fits of rage more in the past three weeks than the prior 6 months.

I have been feeling very blue today. Three weeks out from surgery. Feeling very frustrated that my heart feels like it is beating out of my chest and constantly beating in one ear. Don't know that I can live like this. It is way more than what I expected. Thought I would have thesurgery and then it would be over, back to normalcy. It is becoming evident that this is not the way it is. It is going to be a long process. Didn't expect this. I have been crying off and on all day. Having moments where I feel light headed and nauseous. Is this normal? Is this how it's going to be forever. When does the beating go away?

Michelle, well in my case, 2009 was a transitional year. We lost our 16 year old dog 3 weeks prior to my surgery. We adopted 2 dogs, one prior one after surgery. I had forgotten the discipline necessary in training. My wife started telecommuting which should be a good thing. Little things would set me off and a I didn't know why. I had no reason to be impatient about anything but I couldn't help it it seemed. I'm just about getting relaxed but it took about a year. You'll get past that pleural effusion btw.

I found two things to be very useful in recovering from Valve Replacement. One was "Guided Imagery", which is soothing sounds and voices on CD or other media that walk you through pleasant situations, etc. The hospital gave me a couple of CD's by Diane Tusek that were great. Here is a site that has some for free download: https://members.kaiserpermanente.org/redirects/listen/?kp_shortcut_referrer=kp.org/listen

The other thing that really made the difference in my recovery was exercise. I spent long hours in the gym and on my bicycle trying to regain my pre-op physical condition. It took me over a year, but once I was able to replicate my weekly pre-op 18 mile bicycle ride I considered myself pretty much fully recovered. I've continued the exercise routines and find them to be great stress relievers as well as being very healthful and beneficial.

The forceful beating, I believe, comes from your heart having to work so hard prior to surgery. It is still beating like it has to push very hard to get the blood through. This will settle down after a while as your heart remodels and comes back to a normal size and function. Don't get discouraged, this is all part of the healing process. Your heart is very touchy right now, and rightly so, it has been invaded severely. But it will all improve little by little.

Be very patient with yourself. Allow yourself to feel these raw feelings. Then give yourself a time limit on how this affects you. Also be very patient with your body and its ability to heal itself. It does take time, it has to heal cell by cell. But it will heal and you will feel better.

Cherie, when are you following up with your surgeon and/or cardiologist? It takes some time. Don't be afraid to contact them.

Is it beating normally or are you talking about palpitations? I noticed mine was beating insanely loud too and mine was a repair, then I compared my husbands and it was the same. My heart was so weak before that now that it's normal it seems too strong. Then because of other issues they switched me to a much stronger beta blocker and now my heart is slower and mh blood pressure is extremely low, so I don't feel normal heart beats as much. It is frustrating and disappointing to feel like you are going to be fixed and then have more problems. I've had tons of complications and yes, I'd be dead without the surgery, but that thought can't always fix the blues. It barely works for me. I just think to myself that I'm healing and soon enough I can walk up the stairs and sleep on my stomach. I'm healing, you are healing, it has to get better. I'm almost at 4 weeks out, it might help to talk to eachother my email is [email protected].

Michelle/Cherie, Michelle is right as is Nancy. The heart does take some time to adjust. Look at it this way. Your heart was just evaluated during surgery. You probably had all your issues dealt with. As another poster mentioned somewhere, just keep exercising and stay active. It gets better.

Yes, I do wonder if you ever REALLY get COMPLETELY over it, mentally and especially emotionally. For me the best therapy is to try and keep busy, phyically active and just get on with my life. I do however, recommend counseling. Anti-depressant may help for the short term, but I personally do not think they are a cure for the long term.

Hey all,
My heart is beating regularly. I saw cardiologist last week and see cardiothoracic surgeon tomorrow. Cardiologist said everything sounds great. I keep crying and don't understand why. Can feel my heart beating at the base of my throat. People lay their hand on my chest and can feel it. They say it is freaky. I am a strong person, I don't understand why I am feeling this way. This all is just not what I thought. I know I am lucky to have found it and get it fixed, and that I am lucky I don't have something that can't be cured, but the beating is driving me crazy because I can feel it. Is this normal?

When mine was beating hard it drove me crazy too. I could feel it in my stomach and my neck. It would be so string that my husband could feel it just by laying next to me in bed. You'll be okay, it will become less intense and one day you won't notice it at all. Oh and I get crying spells too, just out of nowhere I'll just start crying, multiple times a day. That's a sign of depression, you should see a therapist. I'm looking for one myself.

Yes, the beating is very strong. That will subside in time. Be strong. Be patient. In the meantime you MAY want to take A LOW DOSE of Xanax, or Ambien, just to help you sleep.

Take care

Back