Sterum not fused together at the top

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tex

Hi, i went to my hospital appointment yesterday thinking i was going about a sterum wire that had come out, but after a chest xray was told it wasnt that but my sterum had not fused together at the top, they have put me on some tabs for the pain and swelling, i have to go back in 2 weeks they are talking about further surgery and then wearning a brace to make sure it does fuse back together.
Just wondered if anybody has had this happen to them, or anybody else they know.
Was pretty upset it just seems one thing after another, not sure what this operation would entail
Thanks for your help
Jane

Hi Jane, sorry it wasn't something as simple as a wire. I hope it fuses soon. Did they say what kind of surgery they would do?

Jane, this is the first I have heard of this here and I too hope it fuses on its own and you don't need further surgery again. Will keep you in my prayers!

Jane,
Ask the doctor's if you can just wear a brace that would keep your sternum in the correct position, and maybe add some vitimin supplement to finish healing the bone on its own without re-opening the area. Did they say it was infected or something? I wish you only the best and hope that everything gets resolved quickly. :D

Hi Phyllis, my doctor did say yesterday it was very common, trust it to happen to me!, I thought it was not very common as nobody has repiled saying they had, had it done. Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Hi, i will do i will do anything that doesnt involve me being reopened, i will ask him about what you have said, he didnt say they was any infection, he just said it was very inflamed. Thanks for help this site is just so good to speak to people who have been through all this and pass on useful information like i said yesterday wish i had found it before i had my aortic vave replaced and my mitral valve replaced, thanks for your help.

I've never heard of this happening so can't offer any insight. Sorry it's happening to you. I hope it can be resolved without surgery. Best wishes and good luck.

Hey Tex not trying to steal your thread but what a coincidence I just left the hospital tonight getting x rays for my lower sternum clicking and popping and very painful will find out tomorrow if it is unstable.

Sorry to hear it hasn't fused properly for you Tex. I know I had quite a bulge at the top of my sternum the first few weeks out of surgery, but apparently that was fairly normal and it has now settled right down, but I was concerned that it hadn't fused back properly. I hope the non-surgical methods are able to fix the problem for you.

Hi, i will do i will do anything that doesnt involve me being reopened, i will ask him about what you have said, he didnt say they was any infection, he just said it was very inflamed. Thanks for help this site is just so good to speak to people who have been through all this and pass on useful information like i said yesterday wish i had found it before i had my aortic vave replaced and my mitral valve replaced, thanks for your help.

You would know if they thought there was an infection, you'd be on antibiotics and probably readmitted.

Hello Tex there was a chap in my ward at Oxford who had a problem with the bone joining again but it was a simple job to fix it only thing the stitches looked like I had sewn them,he was fine after.Good luck mate.

Sounds painfull, hope you can find a easy way round and dont need to have further surgery, all the best.

Back