sternum wires

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi just wanted to update and say that all the previous pain and discomfort I had related to the wires has gone, it's brilliant and I'm real pleased they are out,

only had the dressing off last Friday and was surprised how short the incision scars were- he must have done a bit of digging, bit sore to touch at the top incision as there's the end of a dissolving stitch sticking out a wee bit but otherwise real good.

I have some quite protrusive bumps happening along my scar line now and a couple of them are intermittently irritating. What is considered "normal" as far as this goes? My previous incision line had some bumpiness but this time around is definitely markedly worse. I am fairly lean so just putting it down to that and pretending it's a non-issue... lalalalaaaa...

Mellyouttaphase;n870641 said:
I have some quite protrusive bumps happening along my scar line now and a couple of them are intermittently irritating. What is considered "normal" as far as this goes? My previous incision line had some bumpiness but this time around is definitely markedly worse. I am fairly lean so just putting it down to that and pretending it's a non-issue... lalalalaaaa...

just wondering, is it "scar bumpy" stuff or can you feel a nodule under the scar that stays put when you move the skin around above it with your finger tip?

I've had my wires at the top taken out on the last two sugeries (one for another reason than the other).

Mellyouttaphase;n870671 said:
The bumps are definitely stationary underneath the scar. Starts right at the top and they are at regular intervals the whole way down.

Thanks, sounds like your wires to me, i could feel the bumps and then the cardiologist said yep they are the wires, I was surprised there were 8 in there , I could feel 4 of them, when I did a first aid refresher course back in October they had a skeleton and i could count the 8 gaps in the ribs where they fit them all in

Warrick;n870741 said:
It was in the corner, I think they got it out of the closet...

Mouth-to-mouth would do **** all for a skeleton. Instead of the chest rising, the air would come out the eye sockets and hit you on the side of the head.

You guys come out with some crazy **** sometimes.

Mellyouttaphase;n870641 said:
I have some quite protrusive bumps happening along my scar line now and a couple of them are intermittently irritating. What is considered "normal" as far as this goes? .
I wonder if the bumps are caused by bony growths (osteophytes) over the wires ? I can’t feel the wires so wonder if they’re getting ‘covered' over ? Cardiologist said they were wires though. Mine are 'stationary' under the skin like yours.

Paleowoman;n870835 said:
I wonder if the bumps are caused by bony growths (osteophytes) over the wires ? I can’t feel the wires so wonder if they’re getting ‘covered' over ? Cardiologist said they were wires though. Mine are 'stationary' under the skin like yours.
Yes, that makes sense. One would think that wires feel sharp.
The bumps could be the bone healing over them.
Your surgeon is the expert in this, not the cardio.

Agian;n870843 said:
Yes, that makes sense. One would think that wires feel sharp.
The bumps could be the bone healing over them.
Your surgeon is the expert in this, not the cardio.
Yes but I was discharged from the surgeon over 2 1/2 years ago, so it's the cardio I see (and repeatedly like you bemoaned in the other thread - three times this year alone with three echos :( ). I wouldn't want to see the surgeon at all - she was typical surgeon, didn't listen, didn't answer questions, even made mistakes in her reports - next time I go for a surgeon who is not only good at their job of cutting and sewing, but also good at listening and answering questions etc (my one was good at cutting and sewing I believe from the stats in the SCTS website but that's all - I'm still annoyed at her). I suppose I could ask to be referred to another surgeon if I wanted as the cardio says that if the wires get too bothersome the answer is surgery, which I don't particulalry want, on the other hand if bone is growing over the wires wouldn't that be a problem when it comes to a "re-do" ? Or maybe it wouldn't ?

Paleowoman;n870850 said:
Yes but I was discharged from the surgeon over 2 1/2 years ago, so it's the cardio I see (and repeatedly like you bemoaned in the other thread - three times this year alone with three echos :( ). I wouldn't want to see the surgeon at all - she was typical surgeon, didn't listen, didn't answer questions, even made mistakes in her reports - next time I go for a surgeon who is not only good at their job of cutting and sewing, but also good at listening and answering questions etc (my one was good at cutting and sewing I believe from the stats in the SCTS website but that's all - I'm still annoyed at her). I suppose I could ask to be referred to another surgeon if I wanted as the cardio says that if the wires get too bothersome the answer is surgery, which I don't particulalry want, on the other hand if bone is growing over the wires wouldn't that be a problem when it comes to a "re-do" ? Or maybe it wouldn't ?

Yes, I remember you telling us your surgeon was a moo.
Can't the mug order an X-ray to have a look.

does anyone else still have a noise from their sternum??, my sternum still knocks every time I take a right step, I mainly only hear it at night but now I occaisionally hear it during the day now so it does seem like it has gotten louder,
when the surgeon did my wires afterwards he said my sternum was "solid as" , maybe its the end of a rib and cartilidge or something? I was expecting it to go away after my wires were out but no, so apart from the sound it doesn't bother me

Agian;n870864 said:
Yes, I remember you telling us your surgeon was a moo.
Can't the mug order an X-ray to have a look.
I think I might ask the GP or cardio for an x-ray if the discomfort persists and those 'lumps' become more pronounced.

Hi

Warrick;n870873 said:
does anyone else still have a noise from their sternum??

not for a while now, but for at least a few years after

when the surgeon did my wires afterwards he said my sternum was "solid as"

well that's the definitive things ... getting an eyball on it and pulling through the wires ... if it wasn't solid he'd know it more than any scan would likely reveal

, maybe its the end of a rib and cartilidge or something?

I believe I've phrased it as its the same as knuckle cracking ... totally nothing to do with bones, certainly nothing to do with the sternum bone. But if you look properly at the anatomy of the sternum you can see other points which may cause it ... rather like when my hip "clunks" doing exersize to free that up (and prevent sciatic nerve pain)

... I was expecting it to go away after my wires were out but no,

I sure as heck wasn't ... the wires were doing nothing to hold the bone together anymore ... and if they were it would be a really bad thing.

Warrick - I, too, would "vote" for it being some bone/cartilage friction and motion. As pellicle noted, there are numerous movable junctions among the ribs, sternum and cartilage, so perhaps it is one of those that you hear and feel. I don't have this in my sternum, but I do have similar noises and feelings at other spots where I've had previous injuries - and surgery could be considered a "controlled injury."

Back