sternum wires

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warrick

have a look at this image from Grays Anatomy

Gray119.png

what you might "think of" as being one bone (the sternum) is not one bone, but a bunch of smaller bones that in some place remain flexible. The Manubrium (that's marked 1) is the last to "solidfy"

Same goes for the hips ... they are meant to be mobile and flexible to some extent.

When viewed like this one can only shudder at the damage that is likely caused by repeated cut throughs and remaining wires ... which are also cut through in redo surgery

Then there is the connections between the ribs and the sternum.

Anterior-View-of-the-anatomy-Thoracic-Cage-photo.jpg

Note the cartilage joints.

You'll perhaps recall when "dressing" a deer that the ribs are not bone all the way round to the sternum on them either.

I hope this helps

I still get a cracking sound from my sternum, sometimes the first time I do a really good stretch. It doesn't concern me though, because I was having that happen before my surgery.

Thanks pellicle , I did think it was one bone not several so it makes alot more sense now, not alot of meat in that area on a deer so don't look too hard there :)

Hi

Warrick;n870905 said:
did think it was one bone not several so it makes alot more sense now, not alot of meat in that area on a deer so don't look too hard there :)

Yeah, and to my mind the lower ones may actually also have their calcification "joints" broken or disturbed, leading to clunks now and then.

I wonder how many iron filings I have in mine from various cut throughs.

Back