Sternum Wire Removal

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeddyLee

Well, 1 year and 2 months after my AVR, I will be going "back under." Only this time, I am merely having my sternum (maybe it's sternal haha) wires removed. I might actually be a little more nervous about this than I was for my original surgery. What I'm not entirely sure about, is whether or not they are going to be using local or general anesthesia. Upon doing some reading on the internet, I've heard that it can depend on how many wires they are removing. They spoke like they will be removing all of mine, so who knows.

I am supposed to contact them the week before the surgery, to confirm the time and all of that. I guess I could just ask then haha. I guess I'm just a little bummed to be having another surgery, even though it is a fairly minor procedure.

The top 2 are causing a bit of pain. There are about 3, midway down that are protruding out. They aren't exposed, but they do seem to be coming further out as time goes on. I'm also having some chest/pectoral muscle tightness near the one that is sticking out the most. Sometimes even simply moving my right arm across my body makes me feel like I'm going to rip in half.

I actually wasn't even going to mention it, but my cardiologist saw it and referred me back to the surgeon. One of the Nurse Practitioner's came in to look at it before the surgeon and basically asked if I had any pain associated with it. (which I did) She then said they don't even need an xray to see that something is funky. So now I'm scheduled to have them removed.

I've had mine removed after my 2nd and 3rd surgeries. Your sternum will feel stiff and sore for awhile and then when healed, you won't even know they took them out, except that the ones that bothered you are gone, no more pain. The first time the doc only cut little slits where each one was, but my 2nd removal was more involved, I was put under general anesthesia, and the doc cut me all the way up and down like a new incision. I wasn't expecting that based on my first experience.

I had all of mine removed about 8 months after my first surgery under general anesthesia. It was same day surgery, and besides the new incision I was good to go. I had some slight discomfort for a few days but it was worth it not to have the daily pain and aggravation that the wires caused.

I'm feeling pretty good about it. I'm looking forward to not having these dang things jabbing out of my chest. It looks like a xylophone haha.

I didn't realize these wires were to be removed. I am 2+ years post-op. Do you think I should check w my surgeon ? even if there is no discomfort ?
Thanks
As far as I know the general view of surgeons is that they are not something slated as "to be removed". There are however circumstance when they are removed, such as when they cause discomfort or when they become a risk.

As I understood it removal is not considered risk free, as the sharp end of the wire can cause some risks of cutting or scratching something delicate around the back.

To make it a bit clearer, drill two holes in a bit of wood and thread some stout wire into one hole and back out the other. Just as it is done with tour sternum. Now twist the two ends together as a twist tie, just as it is done in your sternum.

Now, take a set of side cutters and snip one side of that twirl and then with pliers grab the knotty end and wrench it through. This is exactly what the wire removal process is.

Now, examine the wire tie that you have cut and see how sharp the cut end is?

Imagine that just behind your sternum are things like your heart. These things could be nicked by the wire.

Yes it is done but it is not routine.

Lastly, EVERY operation you have is another opportunity for bacteria to get into your body, pulling the wires through could give something (if it were present) a free ride to the other side of your sternum.

Surgeons know all this, which is why under normal circumstances the wires are simply left there.

Below is one of my xrays showing the wires. A careful look will also show the wires that remained from previous surgery and my valve :)
8168266981_d63a28c4ee_b.jpg

I didn't realize these wires were to be removed. I am 2+ years post-op. Do you think I should check w my surgeon ? even if there is no discomfort ?
Thanks

The vast majority of us are fine leaving the wires as is.
For some, there is discomfort/pain, irritation and the recommendation is to remove them.
If they aren't bothering you, leave them alone. :)

OP......GeddyLee,

Please let us know how it goes for you when you have the removals.
Hope it is easy and fast and provides good relief for you.

I still have mine, after 9+ years. They do ache at times when I bump them on something. I did talk to a surgeon about removal and he said if there's no constant pain and the wires aren't protruding, it's best to leave them.

Reactions: Amy
Well, that was a pretty simple procedure. It took about an hour and a half. They removed all of them under general anesthesia. I did have a bit of trouble with the breathing tube when I woke up. I choked on it pretty nicely and they just yanked it out. At least that's how I remember it haha. I'm having a fair amount of pain at the moment, but it's nowhere near unbearable or anything. I didn't get any prescription for pain relievers. They just suggested that I take some Tylenol or something, if need be. I haven't needed it yet, thankfully.

glad to hear it all went well with no complications. They are "simple procedures" especially when you are unconscious and uninvolved.

:)

Back