Sternum Staples

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braveheart

I recently had a C-T scan of my chest. The radiologist mentioned "sternum staples". I honestly had not thought about that I had acquired some metal in my body, but something occurred to me after I read the radiologist's report.

Can a person with sternum staples have an M.R.I. of the chest area?:confused:

As long as they know about them, I don't think it's a problem. If I'm not mistaken, they do things a bit differently when you have metal in the body.

I specifically asked my cardio if I could have MRI with my sternum wires and he said yes.

Chest Wires

Chest Wires

I don't know about staples, but I had MRI and CT scan stuff done a few weeks ago and my chest wires presented no problems. The only place I've ever had problems with my chest wires is Denver International Airport.

-Philip

member Ben Smith sets off the alarm at the airport, as well.

was talking to a friend a couple days ago and she told me she had to have an x-ray and mri. well, she has had all sorts of surgeries, including stomach stapling. The dr was a young fellow and he freaked out about the staples, refused to x-ray her until she brought a written letter from her surgeon stating it was quite alright for her to have the test. (remember now, this is a hick back country area and this was a brand new doctor).

as a matter of fact, after your heart surgery, the first visit back to your surgeon requires an x-ray first. at least mine did, bet all y'all's did, too. That's when you can find out how many staples you've got in there.

I had two OHS at Mass General and my surgeon did not do an x-ray either time at my post op visit with him. Certainly x-rays while in patient but not after. I had smooth recovery each time with no complaints so perhaps that is why.

"...bet all y'all's did, too..."

Off Topic- when I saw your quote I immediately wondered if you live near one of my best friends who lives in the Pensacola area...sure enough you do!! Ha! She gave me a lesson in the use of y'all and all y'all a few months back!!! - Dianne (NJ)

Latest posts

Back