Sternum repair after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe he was talking about Sternal dehiscence

I was Lyn. I didn't know how to spell it so I googled it and got the first spelling which was "dissonance" which has a similar meaning. Sorry about the confusion. I have a brother in law who is an anesthesiologist who passed the requirements for the American Board of Medical Acupuncture and practices to this day. I asked him about acupuncture for sternal dehiscence and that in his opinion it would be unlikely that acupuncture would cure sternal dehiscence. I am not doubting your knowledge, and if there is a study where acupuncture or other non invasive procedures have cured this problem not only would I admit that I am wrong but I would spread the word to others. I think it's just such a tough bone to heal...that's why they usually resort to wiring it together and not allowing one to drive or lift over 10 pounds for at least 6 weeks. It's a tough bone to get to heal. This is assuming that the surgeon (or his assistant) made a really smooth cut during surgery. I know that probably sounds gross for those of you who haven't had surgery yet (but very important to the bones fusing back together correctly).

Bryon, I didn't make myself understood, sorry. When I checked out dehiscence it certainly seemed to me that debriding.... Probably wrong term, but you get the picture ... Would be needed for a fresh start. What I was referring to was just a "boost"to get the 2 sides talking again if the person were a slow healer. In Chinese, you're cutting down one important meridian!!!! I was just going adjunctive, but, no, with dehiscence I agree, it's already past ...well I guess you 'd say the phone lines are cut, or the poles are down....it's not like you just have to place the calls with the needles.... Sorry I didn't post sooner, I'm at the "what the...???" stage of AS;my surgery is in a week, and I think my BNP goes up when I screw up and ...do the dishes or some other equally demanding triathlon sport and then I have to miss an a ppt for the next day because I STILL was upended too much for my regurgitating and whatever else stenosed AV. Thanks for the post. It makes more sense when it makes more sense, huh?! Thanks! Michelle

Bryon, I didn't make myself understood, sorry. When I checked out dehiscence it certainly seemed to me that debriding.... Probably wrong term, but you get the picture ... Would be needed for a fresh start. What I was referring to was just a "boost"to get the 2 sides talking again if the person were a slow healer. In Chinese, you're cutting down one important meridian!!!! I was just going adjunctive, but, no, with dehiscence I agree, it's already past ...well I guess you 'd say the phone lines are cut, or the poles are down....it's not like you just have to place the calls with the needles.... Sorry I didn't post sooner, I'm at the "what the...???" stage of AS;my surgery is in a week, and I think my BNP goes up when I screw up and ...do the dishes or some other equally demanding triathlon sport and then I have to miss an a ppt for the next day because I STILL was upended too much for my regurgitating and whatever else stenosed AV. Thanks for the post. It makes more sense when it makes more sense, huh?! Thanks! Michelle

Yes debriding is the correct term. They would most likely have to reopen you and cut away any bad tissue..or if the bones were healed but not fused together, I'd imagine they would have to debride the 2 sides so you have a fresh cuts so to speak that could heal when placed back next to each other. it would definatly involve surgery..which is why I asked if there was alot of movement or "just" clicks if they pushed on it and if they knew how much was fused or not fused..Yes unfortunately this is another one of those things I got to learn about because i'm Justin's Mom....who BTW not that it is after midnight turns 23 today....YEAH he had his first surgery 10 days later--
Anyway, they had to take all of his wires out except the very top and the bottom was VERY bad, but luckily it healed with 'just" doing the muscle flap, to get a good supply of blood/oxygen to the bone and hold it together so it could heal since they didn't want to risk new wires etc. One of my friends needed a wound vac for a while.

Hi Lyn thank you. What a mom you are! Jason is one lucky son.
You know I think if anyone just googles wikipedia's dehiscence AND debridement, and/ or sternal, again wikipedia, they give hints BEFORE you go in... Are you a diabetic, missing vitamin C, etc....so much that I would think post-op the rowdy folk would stop playing football too soon ( just kidding) or torqing...AND eating all their good vitamin-packed proper foods AND making sure no one with colds or a house full of allergens or WHATever so they don't cough or sneeze... Those wikipedia sites are enough to get anybody to do THEIR part of the healing process!! But if ya don't know, how can ya? And if it's nothing one's own person can do, that's where the Dr.s do their magic and it's not up to us then, so things then should be going just as they should. I guess most of life is, really, just showing up....

Latest posts

Back