sternum pain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crawal

Hello
I am 11 weeks post-op and am doing well overall. I do not experience any pain during the day. I am fairly active...back at work, etc. and not on any pain medications.
But at night if I try to sleep on my side or my stomach, I have pains in my sternum and wake up very achy along my incision/sternum. Sometimes even wake during the night because I turned the wrong way. I am fine if I sleep on my back (which I do not like to do).
I was just wondering if others experienced this sort of discomfort at this point in their recovery.

Amy

Oh Amy, those little aches last a long time. You may have to put up with them for up to 6 months post surgery. You're normal. Don't worry.

Hi Amy. I had my surgery June 28th 2010 and I stll feel sternum discomfort from sleeping on my side. During the day I don't even know I have had surgery. For some of us the nighttime discomfort can cantinue some time. I mentioned it to my cardiologist at my one year echo last week and he said some people experience the pain at night for up to two years. He said some people always have it. Here's hoping it isnt you or me.

Amy,

I'm 17 weeks post surgery and your post describes my experience exactly. The only time I have any discomfort is sleeping on my side or when laying stomach down. It is slowly getting better but I think it will be many more months before it is completely comfortable. Just know you aren't alone with the sternum issues....

Since my sternum was removed I have a whole different set of issues but issues non the less and to stop my ribs from tapping together under my pectoral flap, I sleep with a type of body pillow and by hugging that it keeps my arms open ...try it for the sternum....money back guarantee:thumbup:

Amy-

I've been fine sleeping on my side but with a pillow to curl around so that I don't 'close off' my chest. However at nine months post-op I still can't lie on my front!!

Amy:

I am 7 months post-0p and I can sleep on my side, but its still not very comfortable! Left is better than right for sure! It is getting better and better every week so hang in there, we will get back to our comfy side sleeping habits soon enough! LOL!!!

Hi Amy: Sounds like you are in the same spot I am - fine during the day when moving around but real "achy" during the night. I can sleep on my sides but prefer my back and when I turn it feels like the day after a good workout.

I am sure it gets better, just takes time.

Larry

Hi Amy, looks like you aren't alone in this situation. I still have issues and it has been a year since my surgery. Leaning over and reaching still cause discomfort in my sternum. I sleep with a pillow to hug when I am wanting to roll over onto either side. It will slowly get better just give it a little more time. I know it sucks when all everyone wants is a good nights sleep. Good luck! :)

I had the sternum pain for about three months, but since then haven't really noticed it much at all. After reading through all the posts, seems like I may be the lucky one in this. It will get better!

Well a chilling look at things to come for some of us newborns. I'm a big stomach sleeper! At 10 days post op its all about back sleeping, yuck. Come on stomach!

Well, this sucks, I am a side sleeper and was really looking forward to being able to sleep comfortably on my side soon. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones 14 weeks now so I'll try and be patient. I'm wondering if a body pillow would help, Anyone tried it?

Hey there! I am just over 6 weeks and when i get into bed i can lay on my side for the 1st part of the night. Then have to switch to my back. But as i am going over i am hoping that i don"t hear a crack or feel pain??? Then later on i switch to the side sleeping. I so bad want to sleep on my stomach. I am to scared to even try. I notice though the days that i am not stressing out my chest and back during the day, make it alot easier to sleep at night. Its freaking me out to hear 6-7 months! I hope its sooner then that for me!

I had an Ascending AA Repair on June 15th 2011. I've been able to sleep on my side for a few hours at a time for about 5 weeks now and able to sleep on my stomach for about 2 weeks. Although, for the past 4 or 5 nights, my sternum is very achy when I try to sleep on my sides. I will have to try the body pillow thing tonight to see if it helps!

Hey there! I am just over 6 weeks and when i get into bed i can lay on my side for the 1st part of the night. Then have to switch to my back. But as i am going over i am hoping that i don"t hear a crack or feel pain??? Then later on i switch to the side sleeping. I so bad want to sleep on my stomach. I am to scared to even try. I notice though the days that i am not stressing out my chest and back during the day, make it alot easier to sleep at night. Its freaking me out to hear 6-7 months! I hope its sooner then that for me!

Well, this sucks, I am a side sleeper and was really looking forward to being able to sleep comfortably on my side soon. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones 14 weeks now so I'll try and be patient. I'm wondering if a body pillow would help, Anyone tried it?

A FEW POINTS:

1) WELCOME TO THE FAMILY ksolay
2) Because I have no sternum my ribs still pop and crack together as there is no conevtive tissues BUT the body pillow does help stop that fo some reason
3) I wear a sternum compression shirt to add stability to my ribcage and protection in the heart area

I don't wear it at night but it may help about $30 US so worth the layout

My sternum is more uncomfortable than painful now but the inside ends of my collar bone are a bit painful still. I'm sure it will resolve itself in time.

sleeping

sleeping

When is it safe to sleep on your side? I really hate sleeping on my back and I have been sleeping in the recliner or the couch to make sure I don't try to roll on my side. Tomorrow will be 3 wks since my surgery. I have been back at work for 5 days now and today I felt so awesome and had so much energy. It is just the sleeping that is getting me down.

Hey Gina, I was sleeping on my side when i was in the hospital. I used 2 pillows to help get comfy. Its the rolling over to your back that tricky. You have to lift ur legs and cross ur arms to the chest and roll on to ur back. I have been doing this every night since. One side is easier to sleep then the other. If you are nervous have someone there to help and try it before you go to bed.

Thank you, I am getting up and down ok. But I will try that and see if it works. I don't think I slept at all last night. I was so tired at work today. I know it will get better as time goes on.

Today is 3 wks to the day of my surgery.

Latest posts

Back