sternum pain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the post Amy, I was just going to ask the same thing. I'm 16 days post op and really only feel the ache when I sleep, or get out of bed. I'm also a stomach sleeper, and to my surprise I woke up in the middle of the night on my stomach last night and it felt better than i thought it would. I was able to sleep on my side 3rd day post op. My only concern is the aching, it seems to be getting worse. I'm not sure if I'm just noticing it more because my neck and back arent as sore anymore, or if it really is worsening.

Has anyone else felt more aches and pains several weeks later? It's not that the aching bothers me pain wise, I'm just concerned i did something wrong and keep checking in the mirror to make sure the sternum is aligned properly.

Cort

Howdy All:

Well I am about 9 months post-op and my I have some variable pain in the ribs and sternum. Some days, its just fine, other days, it hurts like hell! I get these "pinchie" feelings in my ribs sometimes when I am sitting and take a deep breath. It really sucks!

This week, for some reason, it has been much worse than usual but last week was more active than usual. One thing I will say is that it has been a very stressful month and stress seems to be a real contributor to this! Poor sleeping habits, tossing and turning etc.

Before all of this, side sleeping had been pretty much all right. Left side is less painful than the right, but it only used to be painful until I get up and start moving around.

I am growing very impatient about how long it is taking for the discomfort to stop. I know it could take as long as a year or more, but jeez! I have had enough now!

Also, I am reading about some folks who have have no sternum. Why do they remove the sternum? I dont even know where to begin with the questions on how that would impact your normal activities.

Thank you for all of the responses ....it's comforting to know I'm not alone! Although bummed to learn that many of you still have sternum pain/discomfort at 9-12 months or more.
I will say the body pillow helps..at least it minimizes the number of times I try to turn over on my stomach during the night!
Amy

Latest posts

Back