sternum pain keeps going!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski girl

I'm now six MONTHS post-AVR and my sternum has yet to stop hurting. It doesn't seem to hurt when I'm paddling, or doing weights, or yoga (things I'd expect might make it hurt) but my xiphoid process is making itself known almost constantly otherwise and with intermittent stabs that almost drop me to the floor.

First question - has anyone else gone through this and how long did it last?

Second question - has anyone had to have their sternums re-repaired (other than just removal of the wires) and what was that like?

I'm going back to see my surgeon on Thursday so I'm keen to hear if others have been through anything similar. Thanks!!

The xiphoid process was the last area of the sternum (6 months post surgery) to not be sore when pressure was applied to the sternum such as when leaning against a solid object.
I never had a problem with random intermittent pain.
I can't help regarding having the sternum re-repaired.

Ahhhh OME if anyone applies pressure to my xiphoid process I'm sure I will whack them with a reflexive 'twitch' of an arm!! :) Interesting to hear that your XP was the slowest bit to heal, thanks for that!!

I am at seven weeks post-op and my sternum doesn't hurt per se anymore. It is sore during certain movements yet, but I don't consider it to be painful, and even when sore it is only after moving in certain directions, etc. At 5 weeks I still had quite a bit of pain with movement, so it has been only in the last two weeks or so that it has gotten much better.

Hi, I'm coming up to 3 yrs since my op. I was opened up twice within a week due to a leak in my valve so I was a bit soar but not for that long. What I can tell you I do get stabbing feeling in my chest till today which just comes at any time. I may not get it for a few weeks but when I do there are tears... They use to last from 5 mins to 30 and not nice. I started to take Antennex which help, pain goes within 5 mins.They told me cause they had to open me up twice within such a short period the nerves are playing games with me. They told it will go....still waiting. Hope you find out on Thursday and then all good.

Latest posts

Back