Staying the Course -- 09-21-2015

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Welcome to a new Staying the Course week. As was noted in last week's thread, a new day or new week are nothing to take for granted. Life is fragile. Each day is a gift so let's make the most of it.

I appear to be up 2 pounds from last Monday. I think that was due to some careless eating over the weekend, so I intend to be more active today and less of a piggy eater (even turning down the bargain Krispy Kremes you can get in the Carolinas the Monday after a Panthers win). I will take another look at the scales tomorrow.

For much of my life, I have searched in vain for a pedometer that works. So I am overjoyed with my Vivofit2 from Garmin. It even tells me when I have been sitting at this computer too long (which happens frequently) and I need to get up and move around. I am going to try to obey -- it is a good thing to avoid ossification (is that an appropriate word -- I just threw it out there)? ***

Anyway, best wishes to all -- look forward to hearing how you all are doing.

Cheers,

SUPERBOB

*** Re "Ossification: I guess this definition No. 3 from The Free Dictionary applies:

a. The process of becoming set in a rigidly conventional pattern, as of behavior, habits, or beliefs.

(As in keeping your behind habitually glued to a seat in front of a computer)

www.steadfastdawgwalker.com

Last edited:
Duffey -- you just dial up on your phone and get a weight loss? Must be a smart phone? Just being a smart-a$$ of course -- congrats on a 3,4 pound loss -- sure beats sorry old me.

By all means, we must avoid ossification! :Smile:

Friday we had a HUGE dinner at The Lost Cajun, Saturday the church bazaar with unlimited baked goods and hotdogs and topped it off by Fazolli's for Sunday lunch (pizza, lasagna and spaghetti)..... I can't believe what the scales said ..... believe it or not TheChimp is too embarrassed to share the numbers....

Cooker;n858536 said:
Friday we had a HUGE dinner at The Lost Cajun, Saturday the church bazaar with unlimited baked goods and hotdogs and topped it off by Fazolli's for Sunday lunch (pizza, lasagna and spaghetti)..... I can't believe what the scales said ..... believe it or not TheChimp is too embarrassed to share the numbers....

Hot dogs on Sunday amid all the football games = my downfall, too, Cooker. Tonight we had broiled salmon -- that's better nutrition though hot dogs sure as heck still taste better to me. ; )

I'll try to weigh tomorrow. Kids threw me a surprise bday party on Saturday. Then I pigged out again yesterday and today with friends who had driven to Houston from Alabama. Not a good thing to do with surgery 9 days away. Tomorrow I'm back on the wagon.

Duffey, good for you!

Weighed in 9/22 at 154.4. Up about 1 lb.

Last edited:
Well, it sounds like folks are doing fairly well -- no off-the-chart numbers (The Chimp's aren't off the chart until he posts them). I've been out and about, with some careful choices at local restaurants, and have been stable within a pound for the last week or two. I'm between 153 and 155 lbs., depending upon the sodium content of whatever I've been eating most recently. For me, the sodium is the culprit in my weight fluctuations in the short term. I appear to be very sensitive to it, as we've been following low fat and sodium diets for many years. I guess the less sodium you consume, the more it causes variations in your fluid retention, and therefore weight.

I think we are settling back into the early fall routine - watching what we eat and trying to get out to walk as much as we can, since during winter walks are often precluded when people don't shovel walks.

honeybunny, I know what it's like to be in the waiting room, and my best thoughts go with you as you prepare for your surgery.

I think Steve is right: With fall's arrival, we are settling into more of a routine. Day after tomorrow will be the 49th wedding anniversary for DW and I, so we will go to our favorite restaurant by the sea and no doubt share a decadent dessert. However, it is a seafood restaurant, and it will broil your order ... and anyway, not to worry about caloric intake on such an occasion, right?

Steve rues the eventual arrival of winter weather -- and I understand; doubt I could survive a Chicago winter. But down here, I enjoy putting on a few layers and taking longer walks as it gets colder.

Cheers to all...

No weighing today, no way! Last night anniversary (49) dinner at Sea Captain's: split of champagne; appetizer of pan-seared scallops with chutney and feta cheese in some sort of special vinagarette sauce (we are going to try to re-create; it was deelish!); fresh salad and cole slaw; perfectly broiled flounder, scallops, shrimp, and oysters; for dessert: creme brule (she); hummingbird cake (me), delightful Southern spice cake delicacy with pecans, pineapple, etc. and banana creme frosting. No weighing for a while for Superbob!

Superbob, my "heartiest" congratulations to you and your wife on your 49th wedding anniversary. I believe that calories consumed on special days do not count.

Garserin;n858678 said:
Superbob, my "heartiest" congratulations to you and your wife on your 49th wedding anniversary. I believe that calories consumed on special days do not count.

Thanks very much, Garserin...my son and his family followed up by taking us to Outback last night. For the first time ever at Outback, my steak was kinda tough so I only ate a portion. I usually get the prime rib, should have stuck with that. But it was all just as well, given the previous night's feasting. Managed to escape without dessert too.

Highlight of the evening; My DIL asked my DW what was the secret of staying together 49 years and she replied, "Overlooking a lot of things." No doubt.

Congrats once again on number 49, Superbob. I've stayed the course, but the scales are reading all over the place. Probably serves me right for stepping on them on a Saturday. I usually ignore the week-end and face the music on Monday.

Back