Statin Drugs May Help Valve Patients Delay/Avoid Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PWolff

Hey all,

I recently ran across the following article: http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2002-rst/1535.html. (And just in case I didn't insert the URL correctly, here it is again: www.mayoclinic.org/news2002-rst/1535.html.)

This only applies to people with aortic stenosis. Folks with aortic insufficiency, like me, are out of luck on this one. But even for people like me with insufficiency, this could be relevant. One day (maybe soon), I have to decide between the Ross Procedure and straightforward aortic valve replacement (AVR). I'm 34 years old, and the big drawback of AVR in young guys like me is that the valve can calcify and become stenotic within 10 years or less. But if these statin drugs delay the onset of severe stenosis in native aortic valves, perhaps they do the same with replacement tissue valves??

Anyway, this looked pretty interesting and I hadn't seen it on this site before, so I hope it helps someone.

Best,

Patrick

Hi Patrick!
I am 34 years old and had my aortic valve replaced with a St. Jude, in September. I was just wondering where you heard about mechanical valves becoming calcified in 10 years. I did a lot of research before my surgery and never came across anything like that. My docs and surgeons never mentioned that to me either. They told me that it will/should last my entire life. I'm not saying you are wrong, I just want to find out more information regarding the calcification.

Thanks & Take Care!
Gail

OOPS! MY MISTAKE! SORRY!
I just realized I read your post wrong. You were not talking about mechanical valves, you were talking about tissue valves. Please disregard my post.

Take Care!
Gail

Last edited:
Hi Patrick,

I assume what you meant was that a homograph can go bad in that time. Well, that is true. However, they do go longer. I choose a homograph, and my feelings were at the time it needs replaceing there will have been so many new changes in the works. I have not regreated the fact that I made the choice I did. Once a day I take a baby asperin and that's it. martha

Hey Gail

Hey Gail

Gail,

I noticed you live in Virginia. Do you live anywhere close to Richmond? I have been diagnosed with Stenosis and Moderate/Severe regurgitation in my aortic valve at the age of 35 (two years ago). Probably need surgery sometime in next 5 years.

How did you like the Cleveland Clinic? Did you have any problems with your health care picking up the bill?

Jim

Latest posts

Back