St Jude Mechanical valves: Are there different models?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CATDOG

New researcher asking questions for the future:
Are there different models of St Jude Mechanical Aortic valves? I don't mean sizes, or aortic vs mitral, I was wondering about features. Are there different features still in use with different hinges, lengths, or coatings or .....? I'm assuming all the current models are bi-leaflet. Is the Regent mentioned in another post the latest model?

I like the sound of the On-X valve, but I'm told the SJM is the gold standard around here--according to my regular cardio doc. I haven't asked for a referral anywhere yet.

For those of you in the living room, who decided (or needed) to travel out of town for surgery, how manageable was the travel back home afterwards? Is this a really difficult prospect if there aren't any other drivers in the house? Is flying allowed or even tolerable?

There are several St. Judes Models, but I think all bi-leaflet design:
http://www.sjmprofessional.com/Products/US/Heart-Valve-Replacement/St-Jude-Medical-Regent.aspx

You might want to check out the debate on this older post:

http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?32219-what-to-do-(St.Jude-vs.-On-x)

I don't think you could go wrong with the ON-X or the St. Jude Regent. The Regent is a newer model design than the Masters Series noted in the above link.

The On-X might be better for avoiding potential pannus growth issues. St. Jude is definitely the "default" bileaflet mechanical valve and has a long proven history. However, note that the guy who designed St. Jude also designed On-X.

If your surgeon has more experience with the St. Jude than with the On-X, then the St. Jude might be the way to go.

I, personally, am going with the On-X. I have access to a very good surgeon here who prefers the On-X valve and has been implanting them for years.

Good luck with your valve choice.

Last edited:
Jack Bokros, PH.D., was instrumental in the design of ALL 4 of the major Mechanical Valves made in the USA. Do a VR Search for "Bokros" to learn more about his background.

The St. Jude Master's Series has evolved for over 30 years. The St. Jude Regent came out *after* the On-X Valves came onto the world market in 1996. On-X has produced over 100,000 valves to date.

For those of you in the living room, who decided (or needed) to travel out of town for surgery, how manageable was the travel back home afterwards? Is this a really difficult prospect if there aren't any other drivers in the house? Is flying allowed or even tolerable?

I had a 550 mile flight to the hospital of my choice. Had complications from surgery and my hospital stay was extended to 20 days. I was in a wheel chair at the airport and the flight home wasn't about an hour. Wasn't feeling well and glad the flight was no longer. It would have been very unpleasant to made the trip in any type vehicle. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.
We had a motorhome and wife could have drove but due to the surgery complications we were glad we didn't make that choice.

Good luck!

I can't help you with info about the valve info, but can tell you that there have been many members, including myself, who have traveled for successfully for surgery. I flew home without any problems about 10 days post op. I was advised to use a wheel chair throughout the airport, which I did, and I was fine.

Once you get home, you are going to need someone who can drive. You aren't going to be allowed to do it for 4-6 weeks and as several others have pointed out in the past, if you do it anyway and have an accident, there is a chance your insurance won't cover you since you went against medical advise. You will need rides to some Dr's appts. and have someone go to the grocery for you etc.

Hi,

I just had an On-X valve put in , (aortic position). I had an issue with my first valve, a St Judes, and it had to be replaced. This issue I had/have is that I had pannus tissue growth under the valve, it was narrowing the entrance into it from the heart, and therefore, the valve needed to be replaced, and the pannus removed. While it is most likely a true statement that the mechanical valves will last your lifetime, that does not guarantee that your body will reject it, and produce pannus around it.
My original St Jude valve lasted me 10 1/2 years. I never dreamed I would require a re-due surgery. The surgeon I had at the CCF was a St Judes guy for years, but now the only valve he uses is the On-X.

I flew to the hospital that I had my surgery performed at. The flight was about 1 hour and 30 min. Returniing home, I was wheeled down to the plane in a wheelchair, and of course, they had one waiting at the otheer end to take me to the luggage area. I did not have any problems with the flight being too rough, and no complications from flying. (Although, a day later I did have complications with fluid build-up in my chest cavity, and had to be admitted to a local hospital for treatment.)

Feel comfortable with your choices.

Rob

I had my St. Jude implanted in 1991 - I don't think the On-X was even an option. For me, fortunately, it's been ticking away for 19 years (although the ticking may not be quite as loud when I first had it implanted). I was fortunate to be only 30 miles or so from the hospital -- the drive home was uneventful.

I guess that now, with more valve choices, the choice of a valve may be a bit more difficult. For myself, if I had to choose now, I'd probably give the surgeon's opinion the most value.

Good luck with your decision - I'm not sure there is a WRONG decision because On-X and St. Jude both have good histories of success and it may be a matter of who you choose to do the surgery and her experience with the valves.

mechanical valves & travel

mechanical valves & travel

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I was just too tired before, but I wasn't having any luck previously on the St. Jude website, but the links get me in. :) I'm not finished there yet.

The traveling still sounds like it will be difficult and expensive. I just don't know if the local surgeons will be experienced with the On-X. Because of other health issues, I think the better hemodynamics with fewer "split cells" might be something I should really investigate.
C

Choices?

Choices?

The information provided by others is good stuff. Valve choice is a frequent topic here as everone wants to make sure to get things right when replacement is due.

My St. Jude Masters Series valve has been working just fine since it was implanted in March 2007. Like others, I've been impressed with the research presented by the company that makes On-X.

-Philip

If you believe the hype the On-x is the latest and greatest, so that's why I chose it four months ago. (I still believe the hype) I drove 6 hours to my hospital and my wife drove me home 6 days later. I slept in the back at least half the trip and had no problems. You won't be driving yourself however for a month or more, so you would need a driver.

Just keep that positive can do attitude.

The On-X is getting a larger following each day, and deserves it. The St Jude Master seems to be the gold standard. The St. Judes Regent has worked well for me for the last 7 years.

As for the trip home, I had a 5 hour drive. My wife drove and I did fine. A driver is required for sure.

Good luck.

Several of good valves around ... I have the St Jude Master series and it continues to serve me well ... I would suggest you go with what you are comfortable with ... your research, your cardiologist and your surgeon will lead you to the correct choice for you ... good luck...

i wonder how these valves will do at the airports in the new scanning security machines. will they require all mechanical valve patients to have pat downs instead?
i know my dad has a st. jude's , but not sure which one.

For those of you that flew home, how "doped up" were you with pain-killers at that point? Were you able to walk the aisle to your seat on the plane? Were you able to think clearly enough to make connections and handle last-minute airline changes? I think one would definitely want to pick their seat carefully! I would not want to be in one of those 5 seat rows.

I kind of wish I'd asked for preliminary referrals from the cardio doc. It just seems like it's going to be difficult to travel, get rides, and get everything planned. Maybe I should have gotten started on meeting a surgeon or picking a place to go before I start to have issues. Then at least I'd have some contacts in advance. Next appt is back to the pcp, so I guess I'll see what he says. I let the cardio say come back in a year, then pretty much ducked out in relief that he wasn't saying now. I have to learn to push a little more and not run away.

For those of you that flew home, how "doped up" were you with pain-killers at that point? Were you able to walk the aisle to your seat on the plane? Were you able to think clearly enough to make connections and handle last-minute airline changes? I think one would definitely want to pick their seat carefully! I would not want to be in one of those 5 seat rows.

Although I had complications from the surgery and a 20 day hospital stay I was completely off morphine before leaving the hospital. I was still feeling terrible and required a wheel chair from the limousine to the plane. (wife was trying to cheer me up by using a limousine from the hospital to the airport). I was able to walk to my plane seat. Then had a wheelchair from the plane to our car.

No, I couldn't have taken care of making airline reservations or changes. I must have looked terrible. I was left alone in the wheelchair while wife picked up our boarding passes and two people came up and offered their help.

But remember my surgery wasn't routine. You most likely will do great! Only a very few have complications. It will be some harder for you since you don't have help. My wife spent all but part of one night with me in the hospital.

I met my surgeon for the first time the day before. He was recommended by my cardiologist. We lived about 550 miles from the hospital. But people were there for heart surgery from all over the world, so our travel was short compared to them.

Good luck, wish you the best!

I know I will have to have help. If there's a 10 lb weight limit, then I probably can't even drag my own bag. My hubby is a sweety but he can't see well enough to navigate airports without assistance himself. So as usual I will be the eyes and he will be the muscle--if he goes. I don't think he will be comfortable in a chair next to my bed for several days in a row. He's generally grossed-out by medical stuff, and afraid he will be clutzy and knock over something important.

Did most everybody here have a relative with them all the time after they moved down to a step-down unit (not CICU)?

Latest posts

Back