Sprint Triathlon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkU

Did my first triathlon in more than a year yesterday. Work, family and injury issues have kept me from racing over that time.
I approached this race as a "C" race, mostly to gauge my fitness and plan my training for my "A" race in October. It was a 600M swim in the Gulf of Mexico, 13 mile bike and a 5K run on the beach on Siesta Key, FL. I came into it with several good, solid months of training behind me.

Took it easy on the swim, averaged about 2:30/100. Tried to stay out of the main pack, but ended up getting bumped and pushed by other swimmers during the second half as we came to the last turn buoy.

Bike was good, tried to keep my pedaling cadence at 85-90 rpm, and averaged just under 17 mph. I managed to keep a pretty consistent pace: people were passing me over the first half, but then I was able to re-pass some of them on the second half of the course as they faded.

Run was a semi-disaster. It was approaching 90 degrees F, and my legs pretty much gave out running on the sand. Walked a lot. Quite frankly, I didn't feel like pushing too hard and killing myself.

Still, I finished upright and after downing about a gallon of Gatorade, felt pretty good. Was a bit disappointed about the run, but now know what I need to work on over the next couple of months.

Did a 2 mile recovery run/jog this afternoon, and it was actually hotter and more miserable than it was at the race yesterday.

Back to training tomorrow...

Mark

Mark, hey, it's a good day when you finishing standing up. Each year I've ridden in the Hotter'n Hell Hundred in Wichita Falls, TX, I've felt a little frustrated when early in the ride lots of riders pass me. Later in the day, however, some of those eager hares pass me again in the truck riding back to town because their legs gave out; sometimes just finishing is good. I hope those people new to VR who worry about how "normal" their lives will be after valve replacement take the time to read your post. Thanks, Mark.

Good effort Mark. I suspect your lack of strength in the run had to do with swimming in oil-filled waters. Sorry, I just can't think of the Gulf of Mexico without picturing oil everywhere.

I've done all three sports competitively but don't do TRIs. A lot of people I train with and coach do though and one of the challenges they consistently mention is incorporating at least two events in a day into their training because of the difficulty the body has transitioning to the next sport. Training for a successful triathlon requires a tremendous time commitment.

Good luck with your "A" race.

The thing that helps me is that I enjoy getting up early and working out. During the week I get up at 5:30A to either run or go to the gym. On weekends I'll 'sleep in' until 6:30A and then run or ride. I usually swim on Tue and Thu at 5:30P on the way home from work. I try to get a second swim in on Sat afternoons.

An added advantage in working out early in the morning is that I can avoid the summer heat here in FL.

It also helps that we're empty-nesters now and with the kids gone we have more free time. Even so, I try not to let training interfere too much with time with my wife.

All-in-all I feel pretty blessed and lucky that I can still do this stuff at age 57. let alone with a mechanical heart valve. Realistically I know that I won't be able to do it forever, which makes me to appreciate it even more now.

Mark

Good job Mark! Sounds like you have a good traiing regimen for the next time. :)

good for you, Mark. So glad for you that you are back in the races and finishing. YOu have got to be proud of yourself; we are. You've been at it for a long time now and we support your every step. Blessins..........

Sounds good to me. Congratulations on the finish and keep up the good work. I do have one comment...what do you mean you won't be able to do it forever. I'm 72 and still run marathons, altho they are slower than ever. I'm planning on a swim/run event here in August (AZ is HOT in August). I keep saying my next marathon is my last one but I can't seem to make it happen. Keep up the good work.

Mark - One of my good cycling buddies turned 70 in January. He rides 14,000 miles a year. He doesn't do triathlons but he practices on hills all the time and beats all but some of the best competitive cyclists on the climbs. He's my inspiration for riding for the next 20 or 30 years. It would help if I could afford to retire.

Sounds like you're like me with the early rising. I get up when the first birdies start to chirp. Been that way as long as I can remember. I'm sharp and ready first thing in the AM and good for nothing by 10PM.

Just got the pictures - me at the finish. Note the unzipped top to show off my scar, plus it was about 95 degrees.
Triathlonrun002.jpg

Latest posts

Back