spirinolactone or aldactone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpha 1

has anyone ever been on this diuretic? it is supposed to be potassium sparing
so does that mean that you cant eat things with potassium in them, or do you have to be monitered with blood test regularly, also how would you know if you had too much potassium, how would one feel. i asked the docs office for a slip for blood work, just to see how it is going, if i wouldnt have asked, they probibly would never have thought about it. things seem to be fine though. does the potassium go out of ones body quickly? last blood test was the end of april. so will be getting one within the next couple of days. so after heart surgery, when you are on meds, how often really should a blood test be given just to check things out. thanks.
alpha 1

When you take a diuretic like Lasix or Zaroxolyn, it flushes potassium out of your system, so with those kinds of diuretics, you have to take a potassium supplement, prescribed by your doctor. With Aldactone or Spiranolactone, this is not necessary, since it does not flush potassium out of your system. That's all that it means.

I think it is always a good idea anyway to get bloodwork when you are on diuretics, more important when on Lasix and others like it, but kidney function should be checked out with all of them from time to time.

Latest posts

Back