Sorbitol is Evil!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkicar

Bought some sugar free lemon wafer cookies at Kroger's last night, thinking how good it was for me to have something sweet that was sugar free.
last night I ate a few; and had a few with lunch today. This after noon when I went downtown for my INR check (which was 3.1, thanks!), I started having horrific diarrhea--I felt like I'd done a bowel prep. Which apparently, by eating these sugar free cookies made with sorbitol, I had, since sorbitol is also used as a laxative.
According to the web, the amount needed to create diarrhea is 10 g. From the label, the amount per serving is 9 grams, and I ate the equivalent of 5servings (3 cookies per serving). So I expect I should be enjoying the aftereffects tomorrow as well, since I ate some today (included in the 5 servings).
They were little cookies, I didn't realize 3 cookies was a "serving"--after all they're wafers!!

Oh well. Guess I'll enjoy staying close to the toitie!:(

Don't forget to record your WEIGHT,
and to tell us how much you lose. :eek:

You just may be onto the next Diet Craze! :D

'AL Capshaw'

I have just 2 words to say....LOL

I have just 2 words to say....LOL

OH LOORRRRDDDYYYYY!!!! LOL All kidding aside, I wished you had asked me about sugar free, I would have been glad to have warned you about this horrible side effect.....I have experienced it as well, but since then I watch what I have with sorbitol because even just a little bit has a "not so pleasant and polite" effect on me. Hope you feel better soon! Harrybaby:eek:

LOL...yep...many of those horrid tasting sugar-replacements have the added bonus of being like a laxative...I get the same result from 1 piece of chewing-gum made with the stuff or a small drink of diet-coke...

I hope it wears off soon and you are back to normal. I often wondered if it was just me who had trouble with these products, now I know I am not alone :) .

Yep...:rolleyes:
I gotta avoid ALL sugar free stuff.. same reason..

I go for the Good ole fashioned Sugar laden choices;)

Hope you are doing better....thanks for the tip. If I ever need to refer to Sorbitol:D. Would rather eat my laxative:p

i leanerd that the hard way I drink alot of ice tea (over a gallon a day) so thought I should try crystal light instead of regular since it is alot of calories, I couldn't go very far from the bathroom for at least a day, and threw the rest of the cute little containers out, Lyn

Thanks for this vivid reminder to read labels. As a type 2 diabetic, eating sugary goodies is not a good option for me. I have found some things that are sweetened with Splenda that taste fine and don't have the laxative effect. However, I think you are right about Sorbitol -- I tried some sugar-free wafers (also bought them at Kroger) that had the same effect you described. I tossed them without reading the label and vowed never to buy them again, but I bet they were saturated with Sorbitol.

Its darn annoying really...you have to spend all your time studying the packaging to make sure that there is none of that evil Sorbitol in there.

Mmmm...sorbitol....
Had that as a laxative two days after surgery. I have a "spastic" colon, as my GP says, and either I'm going or not going. Just happened I was on a constipation run that week.

Can't really say that sorbitol does that to me personally, but my mom can't even have a packet of Splenda in her iced tea when we go out for lunch or she'll be visiting the ladies'. Guess with this stuff, a dab'll do ya. ;)

Debi (debster913)

Latest posts

Back