Some good info from a cardiologist friend about OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleowoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
We had a friend come over today who is a retired cardiologist and she had so many useful things to tell me about OHS. She happens to have had it herself (CABG) some years ago so she knows from the perspective of first hand experience as well as by being a doctor.

She explained to me that the brain registers all that happens to the body during surgery, just as the brain registers physical things, discomforts, noises, lights etc during sleep. Even though the patient will not be consciously aware of what is happening and none of us will ever recall it (except sometimes with intraoperative awareness, which is rare), but it will be there in our brains at a lower level. That is one of the reasons for the extreme tiredness post operatively, and one of the reasons for emotional fragilty. I didn't find that disturbing, but reassuring, because I think nothing is worse for a person to undergo some kind of trauma and for them to be told "it didn't happen", that is a double whammy, and with surgery, because we're unconscious that does, in a sense, happen, but since I now know that part of me will know exactly what is happening I know that whatever trauma my body will feel is validated at a certain level of experience.

She also told me that when I am given the anaesthetic that it is very good if the anaesthetist or someone holds my hand, she said that human contact at that point gives a very good feeling.

When I asked about the stitches that are used to 'sew' in the valve and to sew up the aorta afterwards, she explained that as soon as the needle leaves the hole where it has been put, the body starts to heal up the 'hole'/join and that it does this very quickly. The stitches aren't what's keeping things together, they're just kind of guidance while the body does it's work quickly.

She also explained that when the operation is finished, the anaesthetic team will make all sorts of checks which I won't remember, for example, they will ask me if I can hear them and for me to raise a hand or something if I can, they check so many things before they take me into the recovery room because if there is a problem it is better that it is discovered while still in theatre.

She let me feel her sternum ! It was 13 years ago that she had her OHS and I could feel the place where the two sides of her sternum were joined !

My wife was in the room when I was brought into the ICU. The nurse told her what she was doing each step of the way. At one point she told my wife she was giving me something that would make me forget anything I may have seen or heard in the last few hours. I do know they woke me up I think 2 times in ICU, that I remember, for a quick check before the 3rd time when I woke up and they said they were pulling out the vents tubes. Not a bad experience at all.

I read somewhere that they bring you out a little bit to check your nurological responses, which would match with them checking you out before leaving surgery.

I don't remember squat... I woke up, they took out the vent tube and I've been tree hopping every since ... I can't even remember why I entered the room much less surgery where I was for all practical purposes dead and then revived :biggrin2:

I think it's important for me to add the surgery and recovery were nowhere near as bad or painful as I imagined. I pray I never have to do it again but if I do I'll walk in, lay down and say get-er done:thumbup:

I can't even remember why I entered the room much less surgery where I was for all practical purposes dead and then revived :biggrin2:
Ah, that's what my cardiologist friend also said - that I would be to all intents and purposes dead ! And then revived :) But not brain dead !

I think it's important for me to add the surgery and recovery were nowhere near as bad or painful as I imagined. I pray I never have to do it again but if I do I'll walk in, lay down and say get-er done:thumbup:
I'll have to have it again as I'm going for tissue !

I've had such good support from my GP and cardiologist, both the friend and the one I consult (I don't consult my friend, I don't believe in mixing friendship and medical, but she was just telling me about surgery so that's okay), that I feel fine now, not anxious, and very well physically too :) If anyone says I'll feel 'better' when I come out of surgery I will - I don't know what I'll do, but they simply don't know that I really do feel very well, absolutley no symptoms and full of strength and energy :smile2:

Last edited:
Wonderful post.
Thank you for it.

If it is any comfort for those who face a second OHS, while I had no difficulties or road bumps recovering from my first surgery, my second one four years later was even easier on me. The moment I woke from my second surgery, I knew instantly I was less dibilitated and right from the start stronger than I had been the first time.

Latest posts

Back