Some general questions about upcoming surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The good info continues to roll in. This in response to some hesitations I had expressed privately to normofthenorth about mech valve choice and long term implications of blood thinners for activities I hope to be involved in (cycling, skiing). Not trying to be secretive here - just a little uncertain about the protocol I guess re: public or private posting so am posting some previous content. I guess the intent IS to share so my apologies. I had indicated that I assumed that a determination of valve type would need to be made before going in but what Norm describes here sounds better. I have had some discussions with the surgeon to date, basically expressing my preference for a mechanical valve in order to avoid re-operation. This seemed to be their feeling too although I felt no pressure either way. Perhaps they seemed agreeable to help me feel comfortable with the decision. Now, after reading up and understanding that life expectancy of a bio valve may well exceed 10 years AND now recognizing the apparently real possibility that technological advances my allow future re-operations, if required, to be accomplished without OHS I would like to have another discussion with the surgeon I guess. Ultimately though, my thought would be that the most reasonable go-forward plan would be for me to discuss the relative trade-offs with the surgeon and to leave the 'best-fit" determination of what needs to be done to them. I don't see myself saying NO to anything since I cannot be as informed as the surgical team. I am OK regardless - just make the best call - that gives me the highest comfort level going in too.

Paul

Forwarded Message:
=============

Re: your post
I think a top surgical team WILL make last minute, best fit decisions -- and I think you want to encourage them to do just that. "It's not like they're going to have an array of potential valves at the ready is it" is exactly wrong, AFAIK. They should have the whole resources of the Hospital and maybe the surrounding University and Community available to them during the op. I don't know if they bring in a cooler chest with every piece they might reasonably need, or if people run stuff in from outside, or what, but they don't -- and shouldn't -- restrict their choices because they lack the "piece" they want.

I'm a competitive volleyball player -- at least I was until a year ago when I tore an Achilles tendon (my second!). In both court and beach ball, high-level play includes "sacrificing your body" by diving flat out to retrieve a ball. In high-level COURT play, the best technique is actually to hit the floor with your sternum (the very THOUGHT!!!) and SKID in the direction of the ball, both before and after the actual play. If you bruise easily, it's literally a bruising game, so it's not a great spot for an elevated INR, IMHO.

Similarly, I race little 15' "Albacore" sailboats competitively all summer. (My best result was 12th at the 1999 Worlds in Delaware.) Every time human tissue comes in high-speed contact with the reinforced plastic (GRP = fiberglas) of an Albacore, the tissue loses, and often bruises. Serious female racers have been "approached" by "interventions" over suspicion that they'd been abused! AFAIK, NONE of them was on Coumadin, but that would make the bruising worse.

OTOH, I don't "get" your concern with bike trips. Once ACT folks get stabilized on Coumadin -- as maybe 90-95% do quite successfully -- they usually only get tested every couple of weeks, and their readings don't vary much. Having a diet that "spikes" in strange directions that involve Vit. K intake (from green leafy vegetables) can make it less reliable, and ACT folks are urged to stead that out.

Check the "active folks" section of VR.org for role models and such, and there's also a "Cardiac Athletes" site, (.org), that has a bunch of others. Perhaps because the average cardio jock is much younger than me (and maybe younger than you, too), it seemed to me as if the mech valves were over-represented. Lots of runners and cyclists and triathletes, I think. Lots of pure "heart" stuff, rather than what I call "sports". I didn't see any competitive v-ballers.

Cheers,

Norm

P.S. To the extent possible, I think any exchange like this that could interest another present blogger or a future one (e.g., through Search) should be held in the public forum. I don't think we discussed any secrets here.
BAV, extended ARoot, some MV damage.
65 y.o., keen active athlete until recently, only symptomatic since mid Oct (2010).
AVR (Medtronics Hancock II) Dec. 1 w/ Dr. Feindel at UHN aka Toronto General. Also a "tuck" on the Aortic root, and a Dacron "simplicity ring" patch on my MV. ACT for 3 months for the MV patch.
Reply to Private Message

Paul, I think you posted my PM response to your PM, but not your original PM! Can you catch up with that, it might make the exchange more helpful to anybody reading it.

Most surgical teams wouldn't have much trouble honoring your wishes on the mech-vs-tissue choice, AFAIK. But in many other decisions, a good team should be expected -- and encouraged -- to do some "improvisation" on the basis of the TEE results and the direct-examination results. It was that "improvisation" that spared my original AR, which looked good, and which they expect to last a long time, esp. with the little tightening "tuck" they gave it. No guarantees here or ever, but it sounds like a fancy and reasonable professional judgment, made by a fancy professional team -- so even a pushy and opinionated guy like is happy with the choice.

My impression is that these surgical teams (certainly mine) generally have easy access to a very wide range of alternative "spare parts" and "repair tools", even after the Op starts. I'm glad I didn't forbid them from using the ones they thought most appropriate. OTOH, if they'd installed a mechanical AV instead of the one we discussed, I'd have felt bait-and-switched.

Even as it was, they'd forgotten to tell me that the "Simplici-T" ring necessitates ACT for 3 months. Not the end of the world, but we all agree it should have been mentioned before I got knocked out.

<SNIP>

Most surgical teams wouldn't have much trouble honoring your wishes on the mech-vs-tissue choice, AFAIK. <SNIP>

My impression is that these surgical teams (certainly mine) generally have easy access to a very wide range of alternative "spare parts" and "repair tools", even after the Op starts. I'm glad I didn't forbid them from using the ones they thought most appropriate. OTOH, if they'd installed a mechanical AV instead of the one we discussed, I'd have felt bait-and-switched. <SNIP>

Do NOT *ASSUME* that all Surgical Teams will have access to OR be willing to use ANY / ALL Valve Options.

MANY Surgeons and Hospitals limit their Valve Offerings. Some of the Major Heart Hospitals in the USA are known to put their valve business up for Competitive Bid and offer only 2 Tissue and 2 Mechanical Valves, usually based on the outcome from the 'competitive bid'. I know a couple of surgeons who only offer ONE Mechanical and ONE Tissue Valve.

If you (anyone) have an interest in a particular Valve (or procedure) it is wise to find a surgeon with Experience using that Valve or Procedure.
Not All Surgeons are familiar with ALL the Valve Options or Procedures.

BTW, what is AFAIK?

'AL'

AFAIK = As Far As I Know. AFAICS, AFAIR, = can see, recall. . .

I didn't mean to imply anything different than what you wrote, Al.

I think the general choice of valve can usually be agreed in advance -- obviously choosing a valve that your own surgeon uses, and is comfy and experienced with. And I'd expect that choice to be honored virtually 100% of the time. (I'd never heard of pig or cow valves until maybe 9 months ago, when my guy told me he prefered pig. He also seemed to prefer a tissue valve for me, but would do mech if I asked.)

To the extent that there's "improv" during surgery -- say, more or less AR replace/repair, more or less or different MV repair -- the best teams probably have experience with several options. Ironically, I think you might have better luck getting exactly what you specified with a surgeon who's seen less, or is comfy doing fewer different "tricks".

I got a Dacron reinforcement ring around my MV, which turns out to be the variation invented by my surgeon's senior colleague, Tirone David. I think money changes hands whenever they use another one, too, but I trust that's not a major consideration in their decision-making. There are lots of MV rings (maybe 30-40), and they may only carry a handful. But if they'd decided to replace my MV instead (and they weren't sure until the TEE), they had tissue valves (pig) available in a range of sizes.

Paul's choices in Ottawa will no doubt be a little different from mine in Toronto. I understand that Ottawa is a bit friendlier to minimally invasive approaches. My guys seem happier to take the "if it ain't broke", "gold standard" approach -- witness the full sternotomies AND the tried-and-true Hancock II. I suspect I would have researched it a lot and then gone right along with their suggestions. (I'm MUCH less of a wimp on most other decisions!)

Back