So, what's the general pre-op procedure?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrichardson

So my surgery is scheduled for 8:30 AM on the date I mentioned in my other post about it. But they want me at the hospital at 6:30 AM for pre-op prep, I'm guessing anyway. They said they want me there at 6:30 AM.

Anyway, What's the general pre-op prep that they do? I know that they'll probably be sticking IVs and such in me, hospital gown, all that stuff. But what else do they do? I'm guessing part of that time will be to allow the anesthetic to kick in, too.

So what was your experience?

My wife and son are coming with me the day before. They're going to stay in a hotel near the hospital. So we're going to stay overnight into Sunday morning, and then head to the hospital. I'll be a new man when I come out of surgery! I'm trying really hard to keep a positive outlook...

You'll be a new man but be patient with yourself. Don't expect that you'll jump right back into normal life. Recovering is a slow process so don't lose that positive attitude.

As for preop that's not much you'll really need to expect. To be honest I think in my mind I sort of drifted off before they even gave me anything so my memory of that part isn't great. I was just ready to get things started I guess. The one thing that they didn't tell me about ahead of time was that after you strip down they'd shave my entire body, yes every single square inch from chin to toe. That was slightly awkward.

You're there early to take care of a bunch of things. There will be changing into the gown, shaving, IVs going in, the all important 'making sure that you are the person they think you are, and that you're scheduled for the thing you need!', getting monitors on, getting the whole team up to speed on the procedure, and getting you safely under anaesthetic. Certainly, if they were rushing, these things could be done very quickly, but it is better if they take their time!
In my case, I particularly recall making my way slowly through the hospital on a gurney, stopping here and there for one bit of the intake or another. At one point I was just in a room with the other waiting patients, and two cops who I chatted with about the guy they were waiting for, who they had shot the night before!
My Anaesthesiologist met me in the hall and looked over my binder, then asked me to personally confirm certain details. (Not before jokingly picking up the binder upside down, and pretending to be confused!).
If your experience is anything like mine, it will be weirdly slow and laid back, though still feel orderly, efficient and professional.
PK

Exactly what yotphix said. Just getting ready for the surgery. At my hospital they had a big "waiting" room with lots of hustling and bustling going on. Each patient's bed had curtains around it but it was basically a holding tank for everyone undergoing heart surgery that day. So don't be intimidated if your surroundings are similar. I found it fascinating to watch the goings on. And I was treated very nicely.

So yesterday I had my final consult/meeting/testing. They gave me the antiseptic soap to use, and some stuff to shove up my nose.

Took them three times to do the blood draws, though. Numbers came back good. A couple I might need to work on, but nothing serious.

Anyhow, they kind of explained things to me. It's almost like I'm going to be hooked up like a Borg...

There's going to be an "ultrasound" thing down my throat, a catheter tube thing in my neck, and all the other stuff they're going to be hooking me up to. At least until I'm out of ICU. I'm about as ready as I'm going to be. The night before I'm likely going to be incredibly nervous, but I feel like I'm in great hands.

mrichardson;n864323 said:
It's almost like I'm going to be hooked up like a Borg....
That's how I felt, though the ultrasound thing (transoesophageal echocardiogram) was only down my throat during the actual operation. You're still a bit of a Borg later in ICU - I got my husband to take a photo of me in ICU, me as a Borg with tubes and things attached :) Becasue I was half naked I won't post the photo on forum though ! I felt great even though I was a Borg, good pain relief at that stage too.

I am having my avr with on x valve June 13, so I am a little scared right now, trying to wrap this whole thing around my head. I am a nurse first assist in surgery, so I know a little more than I would like to. Glad I found this support site , it sure helps to read these.

My experience has been that waiting for my surgery date was the hardest part of the entire ordeal. Once I was in the pre-op area and getting prepped for surgery (with the help of a "feel good" shot the first time but not the second) I became much more calm as it was now out of my hands (too late to run away lol). For my first surgery they gave me something to sedate me (but not knock me out) and did most of the prep work in a separate room before taking me into the operating room. For my second surgery they took me directly into the operating theater and the anesthesiologist set the mask near my mouth but not directly over it (that was a neat trick). I drifted off without remembering a thing while they were prepping me. I'm sure the routine varies by hospital and by surgeon, but once the ball gets rolling the fear/anxiety will dissipate.

Latest posts

Back