So, glad that I went with an ON-X Mechanical Aortic Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heart Of The Sunrise

In light of my serious non-heart related post-op complications I am so glad that I went with a mechanical valve. I cannot imagine doing another OHS a second or third time. My mother is 89 years old. So that would likely be what I would be looking at. I will be 57 on 4/12. No thanks!!!!!:eek2: There are no guarantees that in the future I will not need another OHS. But, being that my surgery was extremely successful and now my recovery is proceeding pleasantly, it is unlikely. I am working on getting my strength back, establishing a consistent INR in the 2.0 to 3.0 range.Last number while in hospital was 2.4, I did have a spike of 4.0. I had blood drawn yesterday. I will get the new number early today. Good to have control over my diet again with excellent home-cooked food instead of whatever that is that they make us eat while in the hospital.:thumbup: I am finally aware of the sound of my new valve.I find it pleasant. It reminds me of the sound of a horse trotting. Being that my neighbors raise Arabian Horses I guess I will look over my shoulder occasionally thinking that someone left the pasture gate open. Just call me SEABISCUIT !!!:D

Hey Bina: I actually live ten minutes from Samuel Riddle's former farm where War Admiral spent his life. There is a housing development there now where the streets are named after Triple Crown Winners!:cool2: That is quite a menagerie you've got there. I particularly love the Owl and Skylar.Our latest visitor to our yard is a beautiful broad-winged hawk and her fledgling.

Last edited:
In light of my serious non-heart related post-op complications I am so glad that I went with a mechanical valve. I cannot imagine doing another OHS a second or third time. My mother is 89 years old.

Glad you like your new "accessory."
I was almost 53 when I had my MVR. My grandmothers were 99 years 5 months and 94-95 when they died, and my parents are still alive today (84 & 86). I took that into consideration.
Folks frequently report their hearts and/or valves are noisier post-op, until their heart recovers fully.
Sounds like you are having lab draws, rather INR tests via a CoaguChek or INRatio, which yield immediate results and allow for face-to-face communication if a dosage change is needed.

Continued best wishes for a quick and successful recovery. You are the person who has posted most recently about their surgery. I will be getting mine soon. Reading all you share with us really helps me pre-OHS.

Glad to hear that all has gone well for you. Best wishes for a long and healthy life.
Mark

Back