Slept in my own bed!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2izzy

Day 10 after surgery...Day 5 after coming home. I slept in my own bed and it felt great! The main reason that I hadn't done it sooner was that my bedroom is on the second floor while the only bathroom is on the first floor. I wasn't feeling confident enough with the stairs yet, but last night I just did it. I did wake up at about 4:30 and my husband patiently walked down the stairs with me and back up. No issues. I even woke up one time after rolling all the way onto my stomach...It wasn't super comfy, but didn't hurt like I expected.

Sorry if anyone out there feels like I'm "bragging" about how well things are going. What I'm hoping to accomplish is letting others out there know, it can be pretty smooth. I won't say "easy" or "bump free", but certainly not as bad as I had imagined pre-surgery. I do have issues to overcome...I panic easily and feel I'm becoming a bit agoraphobic and my meds still make me a bit light headed.

That is absolutely wonderful!!!!! I sounds like you got a good rest, which is amazing for general confidence and healing. Keep it up, and brag away!!

Mom2Izzy, you are an inspiration. I admire your recovery progress and hope to hear more exciting things from you every day. All this and you are off pain-killers. Amazing!!!

M2I -- So happy to hear you're making such excellent progress. Can't recall which incision you had, but either way, being off of pain pills is really good. I can empathize with the panic issue -- that's one of the things I've had to deal with even before the surgery. Interestingly, I've heard from several sources that there's some correlation between panic disorder and mitral valve prolapse. I was hoping once the mitral valve was fixed I'd be cured of the panic, but even if that's not the case, thankfully, the drugs work. :) I expect you will run the gamut of feelings after this surgery (as will I) and I wouldn't be too worried about that sense of agoraphobia. Like the depression so many people get, it will probably pass as you heal. Keep in touch. And for heaven's sake, KNIT SOMETHING!

We love hearing about your progress, don't be ashamed! Wish I was doing as well as you in my own bed. I wake up multiple times a night to aches and pains, and I HATE sleeping on my back. Glad things are going good for you mom2izzy! Look forward to more positive posts.

That's great. Keep up with your walking and enjoy having others look after you! Once I was at home and in our bed I found it really useful to 'hug' a supportive pillow at night (or in naps). It kept me from completely rolling onto my front.
Alli x

Great news!!!

Personally I find it helpful to hear other stories. It gives me a good idea of what to expect/hope for when hubby has his surgery.

I'm pretty much preparing for every possible scenario when he comes home. We have reclining furniture in the living room, so he can sleep in that if he can't get comfortable in a bed. If a bed is okay, but stairs are an issue, we have a guest bedroom on the first floor that he can use. And if stairs aren't a problem, but sharing a bed is, we have a couch in our bedroom that I will sleep on while he's in the bed. Plus we have bathrooms on both floors, so that won't be an issue. Oh, and the exercise bike is getting moved downstairs into a spare room probably within the next week or so. I'll have our boys (age 15) move it for me. I'm very glad we have them, as they've been a huge help dealing with the firewood and stoking the woodstove.

I think I've got it all covered. LOL!

Latest posts

Back