Sleeping post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimjam

Hi There

I'm new to the site and have to say loving the feedback and resources it offers!

I have a BAV 51mm dilated ascending aorta with moderate regurgitation so going in for the full replacement (freestyle porcine valve) on the 7th of September in Sydney. I had a question around sleeping post op - is it advisable to get a reclining chair/bed for sleeping or in your opinion (s) will plenty of pillows and support be ok. Its quite a high bed, but I am a big chap (100kg's 191cm).

Thanks in advance!

J

Hi There

I'm new to the site and have to say loving the feedback and resources it offers!

I have a BAV 51mm dilated ascending aorta with moderate regurgitation so going in for the full replacement (freestyle porcine valve) on the 7th of September in Sydney. I had a question around sleeping post op - is it advisable to get a reclining chair/bed for sleeping or in your opinion (s) will plenty of pillows and support be ok. Its quite a high bed, but I am a big chap (100kg's 191cm).

Thanks in advance!

J

It seems like everyone who goes through replacement/repair has their own particular opinion concerning the best way to sleep post-op. It's important to keep the sternum aligned and it's complicated by the limited arm/chest mobility. Having said that, I bought a recliner and slept in it for about 10 days I still did not sleep very well, but I don't think anyone ever does. :wink2:Will you be able to get into and out of your bed without using your arms to help? One advantage of a recliner is you only have to sit down in it; there's no trying to get into it and then having to readjust your position.
Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.:smile2:

I had a median sternotomy for mitral valve repair. I slept pretty much upright in the hospital (not that you could exactly call it sleep -- they wake you up every hour -- and some nights slept in the chair next to the bed. Once home, I slept in a recliner for about 2 weeks. I'm a side sleeper and it took that long before I could get comfortable in bed. Prior to surgery, sleeping had been one of my superhero skills -- I could sleep through ANYTHING!! So, it was a rude awakening to not be able to sleep. (Did I actually SAY that??) Hope you'll find a position that works for you.
Selma

Lots of people seem to use a recliner initially after discharge home. I didn't. I sleep on my side and I used a couple of pillow stacked to support my upper arm and chest in the hospital and at home and had zero problems in terms of stress on my sternum or discomfort. I used a recliner to relax during the daytime, but slept in my bed at home just like in the hospital.

I am with Bill B on this one, I had an aortic valve replaced with a partial sternotomy June 26th of this year. I used a recliner for the first week after discharge and then was sleeping whilst hugging a pillow flat on my bed for the rest of the time.

Lots and lots of pillows will make anything work. I built a nest in the recliner for the first week or so home, before finally moving upstairs to the bed. Lying flat was really difficult for me (203cm & now 110kg -- was 100kg before going in), but my wife picked up some pillow wedges that helped me nest in the bed. It took several more weeks before I could lie flat. My problem wasn't in my sternum as much as in my diaphragm, which had a few holes punched through it in the course of the surgery.

The one good thing about a recliner is that you have a good excuse to get one if you have really wanted one. I do like dozing off in ours when something boring is on TV. Several sports come to mind there!

Hi there,
I've just had the bentalls procedure (aortic valve, root & ascending aorta replacement) at the prince of Wales hospital in Sydney. I was home after 7 days, all went well so far. I've been home for 4 days now. Which hospital are you going into?

As for sleeping post op, my girlfriend went out & bought a V shaped pillow & 2 normal pillows to prop up in bed. I found this relatively comfortable as I could slide down if I wanted (although you need help to get up from the flat position!) I just think that if you get used to the recliner, then you've got to make the transition to sleeping in a bed. You may as well start as you mean to go on.

Let us know how you get on,

Ross

Some great info here- thanks so much. I think a large pile of pillows are the order of the day and a forgiving wife to haul me out of bed when required :)

Ross I too am from the uk - came over 13 years ago and live in Sydney having my op at Macquarie university hospital with Dr Michael Wilson (RPA) full benthall as you have. My diagnosis came out of the blue in June this year after a routine check up picked up a murmur, not what you expect at 37 but glad they did. Sounds like your going well!

James

Be sure the nurses instruct you how to get into and out of bed too. When the surgeon gives you a temporary post-op weight restriction, it will mean that whatever weight he/she tells you -- often five pounds -- is not to be lifted or pushed or pulled for a certain number of post-op weeks. So you have to be careful even getting into and out of bed. Oh, and hold your chest while coughing or sneezing because both can be extremely painful for quite awhile post-op. Another post-op sleeping issue is that most of us struggle with night time sweats for a few weeks post-op which can be distracting and unpleasant. Also, if they give you a spirometer for breathing exercises, DO THEM because they can really help you to avoid some serious post-op side effects. Best wishes :)

You can use a recliner or regular chair to sleep for short periods. I did this during post op at home. I would get up from my bed to go to you know and it would be too much trouble to go back to bed. I would just get in the recliner and sleep for 2 to 3 hours. It just depends on which is easier for you at first. It will get easier as time passes after surgery.

We have a recliner which I never used through two OHS.
Both times, I slept in our bed from first night home but a pile of different size pillows were my best friends. I was the most comfortable in bed with my pile of pillows around me.

We have an electric couch recliner and it is very useful, but sometimes hard to reach the buttons. The lever on the old chair recliner takes more than 10 lbs pressure to pull it. I had a lot of trouble getting in and out of the hospital's recliner. I spent most the first two weeks home in the couch recliner, but it was good to also be able to move back and forth to bed (a lot). I still am only just "practicing" lying flat after I wake up for the day, but before I get up. Still way too much chest pressure at 5 wks post op to lay flat on my back. I'm using 2-3 pillows, even for my right side. Can't settle on the left yet (previous favorite position). Heart must be too close to the ribs and it shakes me with every beat.

The wedge pillows sold online in the medical supply and gadget e-stores are way too HARD and uncomfortable for me. I bought one locally, but I wish it was returnable.

Good luck. Every couple days you will look back and notice an improvement.

I am a little over one week post op. I have been sleeping in the bed at about a 35-45 degree angle simply by just propping up pillows. This has been working just fine for me. I still wake up at least twice throughout the night, though. The night before last, I was actually able to lie down almost completely flat, but I didn't want to push it. The only downside to this is it's tougher getting up and out, since you're using mostly abdominal and hip strength to lift your body up from the angle. It works for me, though.

lots of pillows and a loving life-mate, friend, wife or whatever, who can tuck you in at night and check up on you in the middle of the night for initial several days to make sure you do not need help flipping or adjusting.

CATDOG mentioned the recliner control and the later issues with sleeping in bed on the left side: I had the same experiences and used a nice firm leather recliner for a few weeks but needed my husband's help getting it to go back each night... and it took a few months before I was comfortable sleeping on my left side again. Also, the new valve will likely sound like it's beating very loudly in your ears -- many of us noted that problem. Some "white noise" sounding in your room might help with that.

I know I sound like a broken record, but YES get a recliner; to go a step further it MUST be a lazy boy. If it wasn't for my chair I would not have gotten the amount of sleep that I got. Even when I tried sleeping in the bed, I would wake up about 2am with back pain from having to stay on my back. When I got in my chair I would drift away with no pain.

TIP - line your bed and chair with towels, you will sweat like a whore in church for a few weeks after surgery while you sleep. As you wake up remove a towel and you now have a dry surface.

WARNING - as you recover you will NOT want to give up your lazy boy, so buy one that matches your other stuff. Do not name your chair despite the growing relationship, it will cost you money in marriage counseling.

good luck

Last edited:
I know I sound like a broken record, but YES get a recliner; to go a step further it MUST be a lazy boy. If it wasn't for my hair I would not have gotten the amount of sleep that I got. Even when I tried sleeping in the bed, I would wake up about 2am with back pain from having to stay on my back. When I got in my chair I would drift away with no pain.

TIP - line your bed and chair with towels, you will sweat like a whore in church for a few weeks after surgery while you sleep. As you wake up remove a towel and you now have a dry surface.

WARNING - as you recover you will NOT want to give up your lazy boy, so buy one that matches your other stuff. Do not name your chair despite the growing relationship, it will cost you money in marriage counseling.

good luck

Hook, I love your post.

Lots of pillows, however..for the first couple weeks it's not going to matter, youre sore, and you wake up often..had I done it all over again, I'd go with a recliner, that last night in the hospital I found the perfect setting on the hospital bed... Since then I have yet to find the perfect position, even close to 6 months PO.

Back