Sleeping in a bed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katielady72

I have spent the majority of my post op time sleeping in a recliner, mostly due to the fact that it hurt so much to get in and out of bed. I was wondering if anyone else did the same thing and also how long it took to adjust to sleeping in a bed. I have recently decided to sleep in a bed, or recently became brave enough to sleep in a bed heh. I am 12 weeks post op and I found that it hurt very much, like a stingy, burny feeling around my scar. I am a woman with more than average up top so I know they sutured me extra well and I dont normally sleep with a bra on, but after about 6 hours in the bed I got up and it felt like I already described. Has anyone else been in this position. Thanks, Katie

While in hospital, did they not show you how to get out of bed?
Cross your arms, like your hugging yourself with hands on shoulders (right hand on left shoulder, left hand on right shoulder) do a half roll (kind of thing) to one side of the bed and one at time, use your legs to help you up. I squeezed my calfs against the bed.
Even though I have 4 recliners (2 in couch, 2 in love seat) I never use one of them, slept in my own bed right from day one.

Good Luck

3 wks post op and I finally went from recliner to bed. Having said that, our beds are temperpedic and move like hospital beds. If I lay flat, it hurts. Can't see how anyone could lay flat. Now, sleep is a whole other issue. If someone has scoop on that, lemme know.

I 'slept' on our sofa propped up on large pillows for about six weeks post op. After about four weeks I found I was able to sleep for an hour or so lying down on my side and gradully increased the anount of time. Once I was able to stay lying down - only on my sides, never flat on my back - it was bliss and I began to be able to actually sleep. I don't know how anyone can sleep properly in a sitting/reclining position ! I can't remember how long it took me to be able to lie flat on my back, but normally I prefer to sleep on one side or another.

For about the first 4 weeks post-op, I slept in a recliner, not because of chest/sternum/incision pain but because of stomach pain due to being so "stopped up" by the surgical and post-op pain meds. I was on a small dosage, but apparently my digestive system is very sensitive to these meds. At about week 4 I was re-admitted to the hospital for evaluation, as we didn't know why I felt so lousy. I was screened for endocarditis (thankfully not an issue), then I brought the docs to realize that my innards were not behaving. They administered a bottle of industrial strength laxative (magnesium citrate), which sorted it all out in very short order. After that, I was perfectly comfortable at home sleeping in my bed, even flat on my back. With all the complications, I don't know how soon I would have felt comfortable in a regular bed, but I'd bet it wouldn't have been long.

I think some of the bed/sleeping position issues may come from two things. First, how quickly you are able to regain normal body flexibility. I was lucky here - I had little loss of mobility as long as I moved slowly and carefully. So, in normal daily activities I was constantly stretching and flexing both muscles and my scar, so getting into and out of bed weren't a problem. Second, those of us who are "smaller" probably have an advantage here, as we are not moving as much body mass, and the "dangly bits" aren't as likely to cause pulling or strain. (I can't believe I said that. . . if Ross was still with us, he and I would have a 3-day jousting match with slightly off-color comments back and forth. Sorry for the digression, but I still miss him.)

I'm only 3 weeks post op, but we don't currently have a recliner so I've been sleeping in a bed since I got home. My husband went and bought me a large wedge pillow the day I came home and that has helped tremendously. I could not have slept flat either at first, but I'm almost at that point now. I think the wedge has been good for transitioning. I started sleeping nearly upright and layer turned the wedge so I just slept on an incline. Good luck!

I was taught how to get in and out of bed in the hospital. I don't have a problem getting in and out of bed, it's the pulling sensation that is upsetting. I was just wondering how long it took for other people to get over the pain of the strain of the pulling on the scar. I have been in the bed for 3 or 4 days now, I am using a pillow to prop me up against the wall so I don't roll over on my back at night and it is getting easier. Apparently when they were closing me up they tore a hole in my muscle under my right breast and I am waiting for the scar tissue to form there so I have alot of muscle pain. Thanks for all the responses, everything helps!!

I second the comments on the 'scar pulling'. DW and I had a 'fight' the first night back from the hospital. She's a night-owl and is used to sitting up with the TV for all hours, which is where the recliner is. I wasn't sure I could lay flat on the bed. I managed and it probably helped long-term as it forced me to stretch the chest tissue a bit.

Thanks for all the replies, I have been back in a bed now for a week and it has gotten much easier. There is still some scar pulling but it is easing off and I compensate by holding a pillow against the scar until I stand up.

I traveled for surgery so I had to sleep in a regular (hotel) bed as soon as I left the hospital. However, at four months post-op, I still hug a pillow when I sit up in the morning because I'll feel some pulling at the top of my scar. It goes away quickly, but the pillow allows me to feel like I can control the discomfort.

river-wear;n848746 said:
I traveled for surgery so I had to sleep in a regular (hotel) bed as soon as I left the hospital. However, at four months post-op, I still hug a pillow when I sit up in the morning because I'll feel some pulling at the top of my scar. It goes away quickly, but the pillow allows me to feel like I can control the discomfort.

This is exactly how it is for me

Back