Signs of afib?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lynn

I don't want to hi-jack John's thread so can anyone tell me what the signs of being in afib are??

Is it higher bp and heart rate?

My uncle is in chronic A-fib and he can't tell. When I was in A-fib post-op, my heart raced and jerked and beat very hard and wild and knocked the wind out of me at 198 beats per minute and my less experienced family doctor caught it on an EKG and diagnosed it as A-fib but I do recall the cardio saying I was having A-flutter also when I saw him a few days later. Since that time, different members here have posted different symptoms of A-fib and I have wondered how many of us may be having both and may be accidently misleading in our descriptions.

Geebee wrote down some clinical descriptions of it in another thread, I think, so I'll try to track that down and post it here.

Are you having something like that?

[Edit - On May 13 of this year I posted a thread with a question about A-flutter and Gina (Geebee) had some very good descriptions and information there including this:

"A-flutter quite often occurs in those who have a-fib. I have had a-flutter from time to time and it is a very fast but very regular beat, unlike a-fib which is very irregular but not usually faster than a normal heart rate.

A-flutter always makes me dizzy and I work hard to get out of it as quickly as possible. The feeling is one of a racing heart."
]

Lynn, technically it is the lack of P waves on an EKG.

I have had a lot of experience with intermitent afib over the past 6 years or so. It comes and goes, but mostly has been under control with a good med, no caffine and supplements.

Afib occurs when the upper chamber (the atria) of your heart starts fibrillating rather beating normally. I picture it as sort of a quivering motion. The electrical impulses that should control it get stuck in a re-entrant pattern so that you don't get good solid beats.

The lower chamber (ventricle) tries to compensate for the decrease in flow by beating harder and faster.

Physically, the symptoms I feel are a very rapid, irregular heart beat. The irregularity is the key. You might get a couple of good, hard beats and then sort of a fluttery feeling if you take your pulse. My rate can go as high as 200, but it usually hangs around 130. Usually it stops on it's own.

If you suspect afib, and EKG is the only sure way to know. But most of us can tell the difference between a strong, steady regular heart beat and one that is unusually fast and irregular.

Hope that helps.

Hi Lynn.... I don't know the tech-no definition but when I use to go in to a-fib I could "feel" it. Some times it was a rhythm thing sometimes it was heart rate and sometimes it was both. Some will say the can't feel it at all. It made me feel fuzzy (no comments) and sometimes a bit nauseated. My cardio always wants to do the EKG and one reason is to make sure I am not in a-fib....he finally has come to believe me when I say I have no problem in that area.

I wish you the best.

Tom

Does your pacemaker give you any information on that? Maybe you just need an adjustment.

Could it just be stress? I know you've been very busy with your family lately. Been drinking too much coffee, or salted foods?

Please call the cardio and end the suspense. Maybe you'll get an event monitor if an EKG doesnt' catch anything.

Please be well. Keep us posted.

Marguerite

Ya, I'm thinking stress....and you Ms. Marguerite have not answered my email!!!

Thanks everyone, I'll keep an eye on it!:eek:

As someone already said, A-fib's hallmark is the irregularity; your rate is not as important as the misfiring and ineffective blood movement through the heart because the contractions aren't coordinated. A-flutter, if you saw it on an EKG, looks regular but with a sawtooth pattern between beats. And it may also be more rapid. A-Fib has irregular QRS waves (the tall "spikes") with a wobbly line in between, and the QRS's are irregular.
Here's a good explanation from the Merck webpage: http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec03/ch027/ch027c.html

When I developed a pericardial effusion after surgery, I would go into periods where my heart was racing, but I could also feel the irregular heartbeat. I never felt dizzy or lightheaded, but that's also a symptom. On my EKG I went back and forth between fib and flutter. Fortunately the day I went back to my cardio in Cleveland my heart accomodated me and went into the funky rhythm after I walked from the waiting room to the exam room, so they got to see it in all it's glory :( , which was followed by an echo and the opportunity to spend five more days in the hospital.

Bina

Bina

"supra" means above or over

That means your PSVT originates in the atria, "above" the ventricle.

"A supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) is a rapid rhythm of the heart in which the origin of the electrical signal is either the atria or the AV node. These rhythms require the atria or the AV node for either initiation or maintenance. This is in contrast to ventricular tachycardias, which are tachycardias that are not dependent on the atria or AV node."

You do NOT want a ventricular tachycardia :eek: :eek:

Susan BAV said:
My uncle is in chronic A-fib and he can't tell.

*nods*

Same here ... more or less.

When I was first told I had it after my 2003 surgery, I remember looking at the doctor and going, "eh, What?!". I couldn't feel it then ... and, as far as I know, I never DID feel it.

*shudders*

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"And the simple truth so very much clearer" ... Everything ... 'Hooch'

barbwil said:
...You do NOT want a ventricular tachycardia :eek: :eek:

That's the truth. And it reminds me that I had never before nor never since seen so many wild-eyed nurses frantically and repeatedly chase down a hospital hallway and burst into a patient's room as when my sweet dad was hospitalized with recurring V-tach about a year before he died of other causes. He was on heart monitors but couldn't even tell when the V-tach would come on him until the nurses would fly in the room. It was a dangerous time for him but he came through it okay after receiving a pacer. (His diagnosis was hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.)

But when I wore a holter monitor several months before my AVR, my cardio at the time told me in the most non-chalant way that I was "having some V-tach" along with other more innocuous extra beats. I don't know if my examples of V-tach really weren't dangerous or if it was just another example of what a lousy cardio he was:confused:.

Stress and/or anxiety was what brought on A-fib in me and thats exactly what it felt like...my heart was racing at over 200bpm and with a brand new St.Judes' valve it was very loud. I was feeling very nauseaous and dizzy. Two Digoxin IV's and a few hours later I returned to normal. (I was in hospital when it occurred.)

Dont be afraid to call your Doc if you get worried.

:eek: :eek: I don't want to hi-jack this either but I have a question. I felt my heart get "ready" to jump into a-fib a couple of times recently (those who have had this will know what I mean). I have had two occasions that I really over ate with spicy food:eek: :eek: and that is when it happened. Anybody else ever notice rate or rhythm changes with pigging out?:eek: :eek: :eek:

Damn, I know better but sometimes that makes no difference. This is the first time in over a year that I have felt this.....scary.

Yes, after my evening meal I can have some borderline, thumping, kind of threatening heartbeats....I think the heart is compensating for the extra work load of digesting all that food.....And I eat low fat, low sodium, zero spicy.
Have a BANANA, COOKER..

Latest posts

Back