Showed off my OHS scar!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking forward to seeing this gown...what a bargain!...Purple in its many shades is my absolute favourite colour so I know I am going to love it.

Some of my scar is the thin white line sort and the other half is lumpy red bits and I have never tried to hide it. While out shopping oneday in Summer a guy approached me and congratulated me on wearing my scar proudly.

Hi aussigal,

Sounds like we have the same type of zipper. I begged the surgeon before my second operation to "pretty up" the scar from surgery numero uno (even said I'd put him in my will if he was successful) :) but no luck. I just don't heal well.

I then spent a ton of money buying every scar removal product on the market but finally gave up being self-conscious about it. It's part of me and without it I wouldn't be here.

Can't wait to see the photo of the gown as well.

Cheers,
Michelle

Sorry -- don't have any photos yet.

Will have my sister photograph me in the dress this weekend & I'll post it here.

And, no, I don't keloid. However, the incision has an odd-looking red mark on either side, like a spider vein.

And I see all the guys licking their lips wondering if there will be close-ups!:D:D:D:D

thanks for the inspriation

thanks for the inspriation

I just went out and bought myself a low cut 2 peice bathing suit. Your post was inspiring, and there was a good sale at Old Navy! Im going to the cabin this weekend, and cant wait to wear it! (hopefully it will be warm enough in northern MN) :) I also have several V and scoop neck shirts that I was thinking I would be putting in the back of my closet for a while...my scar is pretty fresh though, so I dont want to be too much. I may make them work in the future though!
take care and keep showin it off!
Ingrid

This has been a topic much discussed at my house

This has been a topic much discussed at my house

I discovered this site a couple of months after my OHS (January 3, 2008) to repair my mitral and tricuspid valves - I only wish that I had seen it before as many of my questions would have been answered sooner.

Anyway, we are off to a pool party this weekend and I have been worrying about finding a turtle neck swimsuit. My husband says that the scar is my badge of courage. I'm not so sure that others want to see this particular badge.

Having read the many posts above I'm thinking that I just shouldn't worry.

Thanks for all of the wonderful posts in all of the forums - this should be required reading for everyone!

Cheers!
Judy

Coming up on OHS later this year, I appreciate these posts and will take inspiration from them. I've had a couple of surgeons comment on their efforts to manage the incision (e.g., through location of the partial sternotomy) with an understanding of women's desire to wear low necks, look good, etc. My instant reaction has been, "this is the least of my concerns" - but this is easy to say, perhaps harder to feel when there's a real scar. Your example is encouraging. Thank you.

scar

scar

I LOVE MY SCAR!! I am so proud of it, and I show it off to just about anyone that wants to see it!! I went swimming yesterday (in my new 2-piece) with some friends and they thought my scar was cool, we compared scars, they had C- section ones and scars from other things. I'm going to a community pool to lap swim and have no problem with the scar, I have more issues with my varicous veins :eek: Just a thought for everyone--- when I look at my scar I am so-- thankful for all the things I can do now that I could'nt do before surgery , I am thankful that medical science can fix the problems we are born with and we live in a time and place that it can be done! Now I can do most of the things easer and better that I had a hard time doing before surgery, I can walk, swim, bike, shop, work, and hike longer and faster than I have in a long--- time! So everyone be proud of your scar no matter what it looks like (mine is red, thick, 9 inches) and be so very thankful you have your life back!! Debbie :)

My wonderful surgeon commented that he makes the skin incision as small as he can but the bone incision beneath is longer. That is part of the reason for the large bump some of us have at the top of our incisions immediately post op. It is swelling.

(Mine disappeared entirely both surgeries within 2-3 months.)

I discovered this site a couple of months after my OHS (January 3, 2008) to repair my mitral and tricuspid valves - I only wish that I had seen it before as many of my questions would have been answered sooner.

Anyway, we are off to a pool party this weekend and I have been worrying about finding a turtle neck swimsuit. My husband says that the scar is my badge of courage. I'm not so sure that others want to see this particular badge.

Thanks for all of the wonderful posts in all of the forums - this should be required reading for everyone!

Cheers!
Judy

Hi Judy,

I see that this is your first post. Just wanted to welcome you to our funny farm here. :D This is a great place for sharing experiences and ideas, and often having some fun in the process. Look forward to your posts.

Cheers,

Cheers!
Judy

Hi Judy. Why not go down to the tawdry shirt forum and give us a picture? :D

Hi Judy

Hi Judy

I, too, wanted to welcome you

I haven't been on in a very long time, have been very busy, but I am just down the road from you, in St. Catharines.

Words of warning, though, ladies (and gents - same applies here) keep those scars out of the sun for about a year. I am coming up on my 10-month valversary (wow, already!), and my OHS scar is the best one I have, both in looks (I don't usually scar well, they go wide and white) and also 'cos if I didn't have it, I wouldn't be sitting here typing this and being too busy to post !

Sorry -- don't have any photos yet.

Will have my sister photograph me in the dress this weekend & I'll post it here.

And, no, I don't keloid. However, the incision has an odd-looking red mark on either side, like a spider vein.

I'll bet you'll look stunning! :)

I've never tried to hide my battle scar(s).....heck, I'm proud to be around to show it, so you be proud too girl! :)

Am having problems with my laptop -- getting an "active desktop display" error message (grrrrrrrr) -- and have an appt for my nephew (Ph.D. student) to look at it Saturday.

So, I haven't been able to do anything with the photos my sister took until now. She took photos in my parents' back yard, in heavy shade, w/out flash (for whatever reason), so I've had to tinker with this.

Here is the best photo of me in the "revealing" dress. WARNING: I have no makeup on, hair not styled, etc. (I'm hoping I've resized this photo correctly.)

Marsha, I just see cleavage! or wait - is that a scar?;) Only her surgeon knows for sure.:D

You look beautiful!

Latest posts

Back