Shortness of Breath Post-Surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgammo

Hello all,

I haven't been on here for a while, but things have been extremely well, until just recently. I had my 6 month echo and EKG in December 2012 and my Cardio told me that everything looked perfect. Just last week, I started experiencing what I believe to be shortness of breath and fatigue, but it doesn't seem to be very extreme. It usually occurs when I perform actions that require me to bend down and back up repeatedly (playing basketball). About 2 months post-op, I was playing football and riding my bike, however, and I wasn't experiencing this sensation.

Is it likely that my heart is having problems just 4 weeks after my echo revealed everything as being perfect?

Is it possible that the Atenolol that I'm taking now is causing this? (I'm still taking 50mg, 2 times per day)

Could my anxiety be causing it?

Any other ideas on what could be causing this?

I know this is going to sound extremely stupid, but I'll ask/say it anyways. I was wrestling with my friend a couple of weeks ago, and that is when I started experiencing these feelings. Is it possible that our wrestling knocked the valve out of place somehow?

Thanks in advance for all of your help and God bless!

Hey Peter, Shalom! (nothing missing, nothing broken)

Just so you know I've experienced intermittent SOB since surgery. Just recently I can say it has improved greatly. If you're that worried go see a doctor ASAP. I've come to realize that recovery can take 3-5 years not 12 months. I'm 17 months out and feel better now than I did at 12 months. Slow and steady wins the race and you've just started.

Pgammo,

the heart and lungs are intimately connected, and cardiac issues can often manifest as signs and symptoms involving breathing and the lungs. For example, heart failure or valve failure or incompitence can sometimes cause pressure changes in the blood supply in the lungs and this can cause a subtle or sometimes catastropic shift of "fluid" from the blood vessels into the air sacs in the lungs....this is called pulmonary oedema, and years ago it was called "cardiac asthma" because they knew it was related to the heart, yet the symptoms of air hungar or shortness of breath mimicked asthama...sometimes people get a wheeze, sometimes people get short of breath, sometmes people develop oedema (or swelleng) elsewhere such as in the ankles, and while there are other causes for these conditions, a failing heart muscle or a failing heart valve can absolutely be the cause.

Interestingly also, atenolol is a class of drug called a "beta blocker". There are beta 1 receptors in the heart and thses receptors a selectively targeted by atenolol....its called a selective beta 1 blocker, however sometimes, some individuas get some beta 2 effects. There are beta 2 receptors in the lungs and the airways, and sometimes people can get breathless and short of breath when taking beta blockers because there can be some beta 2 effects, which can cause narrowing of the airways. The beta blocker aims to keep your heart rate normal and your blood pressure lower, especially while the new vales settles in and to give the heart a chance to rest and for the heart muscle to return to a normal shape and size. However another effect is that when you exert yoru self, your heart may not increase in rate and strength of contaction sufficiently to provide sufficient blood flow to your lungs and otehr organs and hence yoiu can feel weak or short of breath..

and thats just for starters.....so the message here dear "pgammo" is that if you feel short of breath or have chest pain or light headed or feel a fever, GET IT CHECKED BY YOUR DOCTOR, and ideally your cardiologist as soon as possible. Honestly, it may be nothing or it may well be that you need your medication adjusted, or something else. Honestly, you need your pulse rate checked, your blood pressure checked, your medication checked, you need your lungs listened to for evidence of pulmonary oedema, you need your blood checked for signs of infection, you need your heart and valves listened to very carefully by an experienced practitioner (and sometimes that is not always a general practitioner) ...and thats just for starters. Get to the doctor!

I trust all is well, and let us know how you get on,

kind regards.

I also agree that this is worth at least a discussion with your cardio. I can also say from my own experience that I had similar "symptoms" that would come and go, especially when I must bend over and then stand straight. I have found that as we have reduced my beta blocker dosage (from 100 mg/day to 50 mg/day and now to 25 mg/day) the symptoms have lessened. We did not begin to reduce my beta blocker dosage until I was about 12 months out from surgery, with the most recent reduction at 18 months out.

All that said, as I now am nearing the 2 year mark (can't believe it, myself), I'm feeling than I have for many years - so I also agree that the healing process is potentially a long one.

I am over 5 months post op and have been exercising more and more. However, what used to be a very routine jog of 4 miles I am unable to do at this point. I am only able to go maybe 1/2 mile, then I have to walk a bit and let the heart rate go down to 120 before jogging again. My heart rate goes up to 150 very quickly and as I am 60, my max is supposed to be 160 (220 minus age). So, I'm not sure if 150 is a good rate to keep it at but I don't know how else to go about it! To me, this has been a struggle to regain my fitness but it seems to be coming slowly.
You are so much younger but you sound like you are VERY active, with wrestling, football, basketball, etc. I'd run it by my cardiologist or perhaps talk to the heart rehab folks at the nearest hospital that has a cardio rehab program. I have called and visited them on three occasions. They were very willing to discuss my issues and to offer suggestions.

How is your blood pressure? Atenol drops BP and if BP is too low bending down and up again quickly can cause lightheadedness. Just a thought...when in doubt get it checked out.

Best,
Ruth

Latest posts

Back