Shaving before surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't worry about it. They'll do it for you in pre-op. I still don't understand the purpose but. A nurse had an electric trimmer and shaved my entire body from the chin down to my toes. I can only assume it's a measure to prevent infection somehow. Although there so many tapes, leads and bandages they stick to your body you'll be glad there's no hair.

I sort of had two preops as I was bumped from a Monday, then done on Wednesday. I was admitted on Sunday the day before first scheduled. That day sometime a nurse brought electric clippers with a disposable head and instructed me to shave my chest. I had no idea how much so just did upper chest. The nurse mentioned I'd want a lot more shaved as she mentioned they're going to put a lt of tape on me and I wouldn't want hair in those spots. So she shaved basically everywhere from chin to hips. and arms done to the wrists. The next morning just before going to operating room I was bumped.

The Tuesday night before the actual surgery, another nurse instructed me to shave chest. I mentioned I would need a razor or something. She brought me a disposable blade razor that time.

I didn't shave the hair on hands between wrist and knuckles. The morning after surgery I noticed those areas on both hands were covered with tape to hold the IV lines.

If it were me, next time I'd want to ensure Torso and arms were shaved and do it myself preadmission. However, from reading these forums some people who did this got their surgery postponed because its an infection risk.

I'd shave nothing if I were you.....I went in as is. I didn't even shave my face. In my pre op they told me they would handle any shaving. When I awoke after surgery (they shaved me after I was unconscious in the OR), all they shaved was about a 5" wide strip all the way down the middle of my chest - nothing else. I don't get why someone would shave head to toe - makes no sense. I also had a redish dye all over my chest, neck etc when I woke up - this was the preventive stuff they put on me to kill any chance of infection.
Tony

I'd shave nothing if I were you.....I went in as is. I didn't even shave my face. In my pre op they told me they would handle any shaving. When I awoke after surgery (they shaved me after I was unconscious in the OR), all they shaved was about a 5" wide strip all the way down the middle of my chest - nothing else. I don't get why someone would shave head to toe - makes no sense. I also had a redish dye all over my chest, neck etc when I woke up - this was the preventive stuff they put on me to kill any chance of infection.
Tony

My experience is much like Tony's. I didn't shave anything - I just left it up to the OR team. Since I'm not a hairy guy, they didn't have much work to do. Even though I was also scheduled for a bypass, since the plan was to bypass to my left interior mammary artery, they didn't need to shave my legs either. They just shaved and swabbed my abdomen. Of course, once they were removing all the IV's, I might have wished that they had shaved more of my arms and hands, but the discomfort didn't last long.

Be prepared to lose everything from your ankles to your adams apple. Hopefully your nurse has a sharp razor, mine felt as though it pulled most of my hair out. Good thing I have, or had only 6 chest hairs, but I was proud of them 6 hairs. HA Thanx, Tank.

Back