Sex after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm wondering if the discharge nurses/PA/Doctors give ground rules for when sex is okay more to men than women?

Both my surgeries, no one mentioned a word about sex to me. They sure knew I am married. :)
How many women had it mentioned? How many of the guys?

My discharge instructions Okeyed sex with a bolded caution on to be careful not to elevate the heart rate rapidly.

Last edited:
My discharge instructions Okeyed sex with a bolded caution on to be careful not to elevate the heart rate rapidly.

LOL....have they never had great sex before in their lives? What a bunch of ding dongs. The whole point is
to get that HR into the "near death" zone or it just ain't fun at all....;)

It appears that y'all are just full of........................................dirty thoughts ???

*grins devilishly*

Guilty as charged.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_04.16.11_Dwight.IL *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"When's this fever going to break?" __ Carlos Santana __ 'Why Don't You And I?'

After the first surgery it was not much of an issue as I wasn't seeing anyone.

This time it was 3 weeks after discharge (hospital discharge for you dirty minds :p) and I did not do much of the work if you know what I mean. ;)

I feel like one's sternum should be solid before one has sex with no limitations just like driving a car...lol. Seriously...any activity that could potentially put stress and cause injury to your sternum before it is healed is not a good idea. This is coming from someone who did a bit more activity after my first surgery than I should have (not sex but other stuff) and ended up having to get my sternal wires removed. Just be smart about sex after surgery. If your sternum hurts during the act stop. If it doesn't keep going. :D BTW I am not a doctor or Dr. Ruth so I take no responsibility for my opinionated responses.

We have to wait after surgery for sex ??????????????????????? Dang it, I assumed it came with the ICU package ( You know, IV, Chest tubes, Foley catheter, breathing tube, and SEX !) I feel thats the least the hospital can do, is provide 30 or 40 orgasms, with what they charge for care. ....Since my bloody insurance company made me miss my surgery date, waiting on an MRI approval, the added stress it has caused me, it seems totally realistic to me, they should pay for a stress reliever as well as a pain reliever !!! My MRI is finally being done tomorrow, so I guess I will call my Surgeon, to place me on his April calendar, and make sure Gerald Butler is waiting for me in ICU ! ( Don't worry, I will be gentle with HIM since he is now 41 and make sure there is a defibrillator on hand for HIM, if HE should need it ! ! )
Renee

Go Team 2011 !!!!

THIS IS A GUIDE HANDED to all cardiac patients
http://www.smgh.ca/_uploads/PageContent/documents/Heart_Surgery.pdf
.........Page 50 spells out "may resume if can comfortably walk up two flights of stairs" this makes sense as we are all different going in for surgery and still in release

This is also what my discharge nurses told me, "comfortably walk up two flights of stairs". Since we have a four-level split for a house, the stairs were something that was required when I got home, and I was able to comfortably walk up two flights after about a week and half...

When I went back in for A Flutter and was getting discharged the second time, the day nurse that was on was the same one I had for much of my recovery time. She walked us through all the paperwork and then said "You are good to go! Time to get back to working the two flights of stairs!" She looked a little surprised when I told her that I had already passed that barrier! Unlike the original poster, though, my A flutter and first time were unrelated...

Back