September 30, 2008

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoodie978

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
So we went to Dr Miller at Stanford and the scheduled date is 9/30/2008. Still a little far off, due to Dr Miller being out for most of the month of August.

Dr Miller was AMAZING and I am so glad we are going to him.

As it turns out the aneurysm is 6.1 at it biggest and it will need to be replaced up into the arch of the aorta, sparing the branches.

Another bit of information is that he is going to leave in the previous aortic, St Judes, valve and not replace it with another one. He thinks there should be no problems in the future with it.

Keep us in your prayers...

My prayers are definately with you and I wish a fast and uneventful recovery.

Aja

My prayers and thoughts are with you. Say HI to Dr Miller and Dr. Oyer at Stanford for me. Dr. Oyer did my surgery and his staff was great made me feel so comfortable being there. I traveled 800 miles to have them do the surgery and I don't regret it in the least... There the BEST!!!!

You're in great hands!

You're in great hands!

Totally agree on Miller and his team being AMAZING. He/they fixed my ascending aorta, partial arch and valve about a year and a half ago. You'll do great. Just make sure to take it EASY this summer!

Dr Miller will be out all of August. They dont want to do it now and then have him be gone. Also, we have had to FIGHT with insurance company to get everything at Stanford approved. Because of Jons first surgery, he was unable to get a PPO and had to get a HMO. We were sent to local surgeons, but after I researched it, we took the steps needed to get transferred to Stanford.

Because of Jons large size his baseline average would be larger than most. And after it was discovered on CT we went back for past medical records. It was found in Reno at 5.7, on Echo, 5 years ago. He was never told about it and they never ordered a CTA. Negligence on their part, I have yet to call that office. Because he is asymptomatic and the aneurysm is "stable"...we wait.

To be quite honest, 6.1 is quite high, and it is quite negligent on the doctors' behalf to not let you know of such a condition. Make sure you are diligently watching the levels of energy that you (or your husband, whomever you're posting for im not quite sure) understand that if you get tired extremely easily and constantly feel the need to take breaks from things, rest, etc. i would not put off this surgery for 2 months. My AV and Ascending were at 5.7cm i believe at the time of my doctors visit and only one month later, less (4/17/07-5/11/07) i ballooned to a massive 7.4cm. Be CAREFUL.

yes, the wait is driving us nuts. and as the it gets closer, the higher the anxiety gets. he routinely takes his BP and is following the physical limitations he was given.

as far as waiting, we really dont have a choice. it was found 7 and 5 years ago on echo, he was never informed of it, and it is pretty much the same size. so, because its stable, as in non dissecting or growing, we are wait for this particular surgeon.

we plan on contacting the drs that never told him after he has recovered from the procedure...taking it one step at a time.

im glad you are doing well.

yes, the wait is driving us nuts. and as the it gets closer, the higher the anxiety gets. he routinely takes his BP and is following the physical limitations he was given.

as far as waiting, we really dont have a choice. it was found 7 and 5 years ago on echo, he was never informed of it, and it is pretty much the same size. so, because its stable, as in non dissecting or growing, we are wait for this particular surgeon.

we plan on contacting the drs that never told him after he has recovered from the procedure...taking it one step at a time.

im glad you are doing well.

I know your anxious. We all were/are. It just bothers the crap out of me because mine ruptured before ever getting to 5.0 and now they're leaving you guys go beyond 6. Scares the hell out of me!

ME TOO!

ive been working in the ER for three years, so what i see isnt pretty. everyday i look at my patients and try not to relate it to him. sometimes i want to cry at work...but i havent yet. i have faith and trust in Dr Miller and his staff, and God, and this piece of Dacron thats going in his chest.

i wish it was 2 months from now and that right now i was helping jon put on his socks so i could make him go for his second walk of the day....

Good luck to both of you. I would say that it is as tough on the spouse as it is the patient. I know my wife had a hard time, cried alot just before and then during surgery. Take care of each other an be safe.

Eric

My best wishes and prayers are with you! I'm happy to hear that you're in the hands of such a great doctor. Best wishes for a complete easy recovery! Take care, Dawn-Marie

Latest posts

Back