Sense of taste

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count yourself LUCKY! Everything tasted like metal to me for about 3 weeks. Best weight loss plan ever! Pretty sure it was the anasthetic.

My sense of taste did not change at all after either of my OHS. Same foods I liked before tasted the same after. I expected to have a change of taste and watched for it but am grateful it didn't happen to me.

I wish

I wish

My taste buds have been fine- I was actually thinking I would loose a few pounds due to things not tasting good- but no such luck! My appetite did take a little while to increase, but here it is, big as ever now! If only ice cream would taste like medal...I would be one thin woman!:D

My appetite was back with a vengeance two weeks after my op - unfortunately. I too was looking forward to shedding some pounds but no, my weight is right up to pre-op levels even with the additional exercise activities.:D:D:D:D

With Chris it was more of a "got full easily" problem, and that has always affected his ability to taste. Things just don't taste "right" if atmospheric conditions aren't perfect or he feels full. As a matter of fact, he ate a banana just a couple of hours after his extubation, and the ICU staff was delighted that he went back on his feed so quickly. To celebrate, he even ate Blue Corn Tacos when we got up to the floor (the same menu item tasted better here at the local hospital, but it was all ambrosia to him), and would order extra yogurt and fruits to have later as a snack, since he would fill up quickly. We laugh about this now, but no one thought he was as sick as he was because "well, he ate all his supper and breakfast"! He even managed to eat with the Bi-Pap on his face! He didn't know why, but he stated that something told him it was going to be his last meal for awhile.

When we got home, he craved iron-rich foods and fruits, and fed him all kinds of red meat, spinach, and other stuff like liver and onions. We usually stick to low fat, but he couldn't eat as much as usual, so I bent things a little bit. He still had a significant anemia, and this helped a lot.

I won't say that his sense of taste wasn't affected at all, but it wasn't enough for him to complain. I have have worked with cancer patients and also in food service, and know that foods with strong tastes are better for these folks in stimulating their appetites.

Still Sweltering in Idaho,
-Laura

Unfortunately my taste buds were fine because I could still taste how awful hospital food was. ;):D:eek:

I never had any problems with taste.

I don't remember anything tasting different. I do know I lost 16 pounds in the hospital. I would not eat the food. When I got home, I gained that weight back (darn it). I did the weirdest things when I was in the hospital. I did not think to ask my husband or anybody to bring me something to eat that might appeal to me. When the docs would come in, I did not ask them anything. I think I was ticked off, really don't know why. Oh well, but no I can not say things tasted different.

Deb

My sense of taste was so bad after that my favourite choccy biscuits even tasted yukky!...it was a sad moment when I thought I would never enjoy them again!...luckily it passed after a few weeks.

If you have no problems with taste you are lucky...I suffered for a couple of months when I should have been eating healthily to recover from OHS I was struggling to find anything I wanted to eat.

I had family and friends preparing all of my favorite foods, but I couldn't eat them becasue my taste buds were so screwed up. My Doc said it was from the Iron pills I was taking.

I couldn't drink straight water becasue it tasted like blended rocks. Had to drink juice and kool-aid.

I'm now almost two months out and I just started tasting coffee and its pretty bitter to me. Might have to switch to tea.

Latest posts

Back