Self test machine comparisons/recommendations

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baradonai

I did a search for comparisons of the different machines. The postings that came up are a couple of years old.

What machines are recommended these days and why?

I mentioned the machines to my doc last year and he wasn't too hip to the idea of monitoring myself. I thought perhaps if I kept pressing the matter he might relent and prescribe one.

I have BC/BS of TN. I hope they will cover one.

Thanks guys!

baradonai said:
I did a search for comparisons of the different machines. The postings that came up are a couple of years old.

What machines are recommended these days and why?

I mentioned the machines to my doc last year and he wasn't too hip to the idea of monitoring myself. I thought perhaps if I kept pressing the matter he might relent and prescribe one.

I have BC/BS of TN. I hope they will cover one.

Thanks guys!

I currently am recommending Hemosense INRatio. It uses sensitive thromboplastin and has "onboard" controls.

Protime

Protime

Baradonai,

I've been using the Protime for more than 5 years without any problems. Yes, there are other newer models out there but this one works just fine for me. I might consider sending it in again to have it checked by ITC just to make sure it is working well, but to buy a newer model like the Hemosense INRatio I find not necessary at this point. I know several members on the forum have a Hemosense INRatio.
Hope your insurance will pay. Mine never did.

At this point in time, you only have 2 choices. Hemosense INRatio or ITC Protime. Nothing else is available to consumers at this time. I did a write up on the INRatio in the QAS forum. Have to do some searching to find the link.

Hooked on INRatio.....works for me! And it's so much better than going to the lab. Good luck to you ;)

I am using Roche 'CoaguChek' with great success. Please note that although there is no censoring or monitoring obvious on this site, that it is hosted and supported by a company that has a line of products of its own. As best I can tell at this time there is no significant difference in the machines, only convenience and cost of supplies.

Getting your insurance company to come on board is an individual issue. QAS (site sponsor) seems to have staff to help with insurance. Tapestry, which handles CoaguChek also has the same support. (http://coagnow.com/indexFramed.html).

Be advised that with Medicare guidelines covering only mechanical heart valves, that treatment for afib itself is more difficult to get approved privately. In regard to valves, you must have been on warfarin for 4 months before being eligible for home monitoring.

Financially, it is probably not in the insurance company's interest to allow home monitoring purely on the basis of the tests. However, the medical evidence points to much better control with home monitoring. This translates into reduced occurrence of complications from out of range therapeutic treatment. Although the lab I go to charges Blues Cross $32.00 for an INR test, they get paid $8.37. The cost of a home machine and supplies far exceeds that cost.

Best to you

DrAllan

DrAllan

I believe there are only a handful of us valvers..who already own a hometesting machine ..who are on Medicare.I decided to pay out of my pocket for 25 cuvettes..(which should last me7-8 months..rather than go thru medicare. I think they have too many rules..like, if they pay for supplies..you have to check your INR once a week, call in, ect.....that's what I have a hometester for..the freedom of that.:p ...Bonnie

I have a ProTime right now. It needs to be sent in to have the battery replaced. Before I do that, I'm having QAS pursue my insurance (BC/BS of Illinois) for the purchase of an INRatio. It's much smaller than the ProTime and the supplies don't require refrigeration. ProTime supplies require refrigeration.

I think both machines are equally reliable, but the INRation is much smaller and would be easier to travel with (my reason for wanting one.) I also think that the supplies for INRation cost less, but I'm not sure about that. I think QAS deals with both. Coagucheck for home use in the US was taken off the market and right now is only sold to medical offices.

Dr. Allen

Dr. Allen

What Bonnie said is true for us, except that my husband tests weekly. We have always paid for his supplies and will continue to do so. We purchased the ProTime System when it was the only machine available for home use. At least with medical concerns, I am not comfortable with new items. There may be no differences between the available machines, but I prefer one that has been around a while. That being the case, when Al needs a new machine, he will purchase a CoaguChek. An overseas vacation may be in our future.
Blanche

Wow how nice it would be to have insurance. I had to sell all of my belongings to get my inratio machine. Well worth it though I must add. Ufortunately for me here In my area I am now considered "UN" insurable for life so Ive started standing on the side of the freeway with a sign that reads
"need coumadin.....the spice of life" So far all Ive gotten is a million questions about coumadin but no big givers. HA!!! Oh sorry was just informed its NOT April 1st yet. Well hope you laughed anyway but I did have to pay out of pocket for ALL supplies and the machine and it is STILL worth it.:D

imhayley said:
Wow how nice it would be to have insurance. I had to sell all of my belongings to get my inratio machine. Well worth it though I must add. Ufortunately for me here In my area I am now considered "UN" insurable for life so Ive started standing on the side of the freeway with a sign that reads
"need coumadin.....the spice of life" So far all Ive gotten is a million questions about coumadin but no big givers. HA!!! Oh sorry was just informed its NOT April 1st yet. Well hope you laughed anyway but I did have to pay out of pocket for ALL supplies and the machine and it is STILL worth it.:D

Hayley,
We haven't heard from you for a while... how is your INR these days?

Raytel

Raytel

http://www.inrselftest.com/

My doctor prescribed the Raytel one. The website is above. Does anyone have any experience with this one?

I don't have it yet. Still trying to get insurance approval.

Thanks!

looking beautiful

looking beautiful

Cris
Ive actually stayed between 2.5-3.5 for 3 entire weeks. wooo hooooo! First time so far since surgery that its been stable. Thanks for asking and hope your doing awesome!!!!!!

Cris N said:
Hayley,
We haven't heard from you for a while... how is your INR these days?
:D

Latest posts

Back