Scary - pacemaker suddenly stopped working!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elcarim

I know it is not really a valve issue, but I suspect there are others on here with pacemakers. A lady I know who has a rare heart condition and had been fitted with a pacemaker started having symptoms and it was found at her pacemaker check that the battery was completely dead. Her last check, 6months previously, had indicated 18months of battery life remaining. It is so dead that they can't even check it to see if something else might have gone wrong. It was a Medtronic Kappa, so a good brand of pacemaker.

Now this has shaken me up a bit, because I am 100% pacemaker dependent and I have a Medtronic EnPulse, which is the successor to the Kappa.

I know these type of failures are pretty rare, but having it happen to someone you know is pretty scary!

To me, pretty rare is entirely unacceptable. The companies have a responsibility to test their products for issues like that. I don't even think one failure is ok.

......A lady I know who has a rare heart condition and had been fitted with a pacemaker started having symptoms and it was found at her pacemaker check that the battery was completely dead. Her last check, 6months previously, had indicated 18months of battery life remaining. ..........

Replying to posts on VR.com does makes me realise what a whole lot of medical misfortune has come my way. :( ..................

Yes a similar thing happened to me.
A routine pacing check showed battery life of over a year. Returning six months later a worried looking technician asked "Had I been feeling well". In truth the previous few weeks had been a struggle. It turned out the battery was down below 5% capacity and this is when the Medtronic Kappa goes into emergency limp home mode to eek out battery life. The box still fires, but will not push out more than (IIRC) 40 beats a minute.
Next week I was in theatre for a rapid replacement.

Aaron, I would like to believe that these things never happen, or that they will never happen again. I have had a lot of trouble coming to terms with my pacemaker and this happening to K made a lot of my fears come back.

I went looking for studies on pacemaker reliability, and found a study that covered 2.25 MILLION pacemaker recipients in many different countries over 13 years. In that time malfunctions lead to 61 deaths. The conclusion was that you are 1000 times more likely to have a pacemaker save your life than to have it lead to your death. Risks associated with artificial valves and anticoagulant therapy are MUCH higher.

In 2002 the plans were in the works for me to have my VR that summer. We knew my pacemaker didn't have much longer to go before needing to be replaced, but thought we MIGHT be able to last long enough to do it at the same time as the VR to save me having two surgeries within a few months of each other. They started having me come in more frequently for checks. However, the NIGHT BEFORE one of my checks I suddenly started feeling very odd. I knew something was wrong because my lowest setting on the pacer was 70, but my HR was 60 no matter what I was doing... Sure enough, when I got in for the check they didn't even bother doing one, just admitted me to the hospital for a replacement. That was in April. I had my VR in June...

Even if I hadn't had the appointment already set up I would have called my EP's office to get checked. It was obvious to me that something was wrong... But like Bonzo said, it didn't quit entirely. And because I'm 100% dependent, I noticed right away. I don't think you'll have a problem noticing and getting it taken care of before it is completely dead. I can't imagine NOT noticing!

pacemaker checks

pacemaker checks

Interesting comments, I wonder if that is why I need to have my pacemaker checked every three months! I just recently had mine placed, and they said I would be calling in and doing the phone transmission once a week for a month and then every three months.

It was obvious to me that something was wrong... But like Bonzo said, it didn't quit entirely. And because I'm 100% dependent, I noticed right away. I don't think you'll have a problem noticing and getting it taken care of before it is completely dead. I can't imagine NOT noticing!

With hindsight I'm surprised I didn't put two and two together. :eek::eek: It was the lead up to Christmas and I reasoned I'd just overdone it a bit and/or was having one of those off periods. Silly really, but I didn't think it was pacing related. The techies had said there was plenty of battery life left so ................ :eek::eek::eek:

NM Mom, my experience is, with a new unit they check you frequently, then out to about every 6 months. Of course, with my new defib, I do an office or wireless check in every 3 months (at least for now) because they're checking how I'm responding to the sotolol (putting on weight, dang it, but less VT), and how I'm feeling, and do I need adjustments etc. etc. I guess it depends upon how stable you are, and they have to get a feel for that over time.

At 100% dependent, I think if my rate went down to 40 bpm or less I'd surely feel it, too, like Niki! Or just pass out.

Gee, the gang at work are already afraid I'll pull a Tim Russert on them. :D I won't let on there's always the possibility of computer malfunction!:rolleyes:

With hindsight I'm surprised I didn't put two and two together. :eek::eek: It was the lead up to Christmas and I reasoned I'd just overdone it a bit and/or was having one of those off periods. Silly really, but I didn't think it was pacing related. The techies had said there was plenty of battery life left so ................ :eek::eek::eek:

Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean anything towards you about not noticing!!! I just meant that, is someone is aware that it could be a possibility, it would be difficult to not notice and take action. I didn't realize what it was right away. I'd been on the phone with my mom when it "switched" and thought the strange feeling was due to being upset. It wasn't until the next day that I started to realize what might be happening. But I bet from now on you'll notice! ;)

Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean anything towards you about not noticing!!! I just meant that, is someone is aware that it could be a possibility, it would be difficult to not notice and take action. I didn't realize what it was right away. I'd been on the phone with my mom when it "switched" and thought the strange feeling was due to being upset. It wasn't until the next day that I started to realize what might be happening. But I bet from now on you'll notice! ;)

Hey, no offence taken, I didn't think you were having a go at me at all! :) :) Prompted by your post, just re-running the low battery events through my mind for the benefit of a wider readership. ;) :)

You know, after all this time with medical stuff, you would think I knew the answer but, when a pacemaker "fires" do you feel it?

You know, after all this time with medical stuff, you would think I knew the answer but, when a pacemaker "fires" do you feel it?

I don't. Unless it's something different from just regular pacing. I know that if the defibrillator portion goes off I'd feel it, but the pacemaker portion I've never noticed unless it was trying to slow down my HR. Probably because it maintains my HR all the time. Not sure if that's the same for everyone else, though... Besides, I don't remember what it feels like to NOT be paced. I got my first pacemaker when I was seven years old!

Nah, you don't feel the normal pacing at all, unless your rate is up, and you feel that as a more rapid beat, just like anyone.
I understand if you get "paced out" of an arrythmia you don't feel it, cardioversion feels like a thump in the chest, and defibrillation feels like a kick in the chest, but usually you are unconscious, anyway by that time.

No but if it doesn't fire it's noticeable.

For example mines capped at 160 beats a minute. Any vigorous exercise taking natural demand beyond that causes a shortness of breath.

Also it senses brisk forward motion in a vertical body (running, jogging etc) and responds to it with a more sophisticated firing pattern. Now when swimming the body is horizontal and this function is inert, so more shortness of breath. The pacing techies solution to this 'Swim vertical, like a seahorse' LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back