Scary Diagnosis

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woop, thats great news!!!

Not wanting to give you something new to worry about (by any means!) but has anyone spoken to you about the increased risk of heart infections with a dodgy mitral valve? I got through 35 years with not a clue anything was up with mine (apparently genetic) until endocarditis weaselled its way in. These days I just need to be careful about dental treatment and general cuts where nastiness could potentially get into my bloodstream and take antibiotics, it's definitely good to be aware of (if it even applies to you) but nothing to worry about.

Excellent news anyway, big internet high five! :)

Triff - Thanks for the heads up about infections...I will ask the doctor that ....I am meeting with him this AM to see what this all means now....even though it is not severe, I still have it.

adgirl, good luck with the doctor's appointment -- let us know how it goes. As Steve said, getting a diagnosis is good news -- it is the precursor to getting the problem fixed and going on with life. That's the common thread here. But it is perfectly normal to be scared at first.

BTW, in answer to a couple of comment, we DO have a glossary of terms and acronyms here. Check the "sticky" above , or the "Reference Sources" topic.

superbob -- saw the doctor this AM and for right now my diagnosis is mild mitral valve regurgitation and he will monitor me yearly....I am going to another doctor at the mayo clinic for another opinion next month....I do have to have a stress test and another problem came up with the TEE test and that is that when putting the probe down my throat, the doctor discovered that it was narrow (esophageal stricture I think they call it) so now I have to have that checked out...it never ends.....

I am hoping that is not going to be an issue since I'm still reeling from the valve issue.....saying my prayers....

Well, basically it sounds like you are in the waiting room. We've got some folks here who've been in the waiting room for years and years -- I know it seems stressful right now, but stick with the good folks here and they will help you.

Latest posts

Back