Scars and wedding dresses?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinityheart8891

Hey Guys
I just want to let everyone know I am following the boards, not posting much though, hope all is well, and I am thinking of everyone here, always. . .

anyways, I am starting to make plans, no official engagement yet, but its in the works. . .

What are everyone's thoughts on scars and wedding dresses?

Thanks in advance?

There was a "Say Yes to the Dress" episode in the last 3-4 months that featured a bride-to-be who had had OHS as a child. She brought her brothers w/ her who favored very revealing dresses and she wanted a more traditional, more modest dress. She left without buying a dress.

Some people say wear your scar with pride, which works good for most situations, but maybe not a wedding. My thoughts: Go with whatever you feel comfortable with, but remember that all eyes are on the bride and her dress. There are many styles that would do an adequate job of covering some OHS scars, but I have seen some people whose scars started at the bone between the clavicles.
Necklaces -- worn by many brides -- would help draw the eye toward something other than an OHS scar.

I'm sure you'll find a dress that makes you feel beautiful and which you will be comfortable wearing.

Beside marshas suggestions, if you want a lower cut dress , but not want everyone to see your scar, you could use some of the very good concealors they make now that even cover tatoos, but aren't thick and pasty

I'm with Marsha. Wear what makes you feel good.

Show the scar if you want to, or if the dress you really love shows it more than you like, use a distraction or camouflage, like a necklace or makeup (may rub off on your dress).

Congratulations! Depending on the bodice, you may think about lace that can conceal your scar if that's what you prefer. I found this link that may give you some ideas: Bodice.

Look at this one: A-Line / Princess Halter Chapel Train Organza Wedding Dress (SVWBD040).

You have lots of options and I'm sure you will be absolutely gorgeous no matter what type you choose. I am so excited for you.

Maybe my daughter will get married some day and I'll get to have lots of fun helping her, or not. :)

I'm not likely to wear a wedding dress myself (maybe on Halloween with some blood or something) but I personally like my scar. It's kind of cool, and showing it is not only honest, but also demonstrates self-confidence. There is nothing sexier than self-confidence. On the other hand, there's no shame in hiding it. What makes you feel good, is good, but I vote for proudly on display!

Hmmmm, nowadays there are more dresses with plunging necklines and showing lots of skin, but there are still
some super nice, classy dresses with higher necklines too. Try some on and see what "clicks" for you.

Oh my, have I missed something here? Congrats to you Miss Morgan.

If it were me........I'd find the dress that was "ME" and of course comfortable and everything else that goes along finding that perfect wedding dress, then if it was a big concern worry about the scar later. Maybe a simple piece of lace could be sewn into the neckline if it's to low for your liking.

But really, find the dress you love Morgan - that's all that matters.

Last edited:
How wonderful! Congrats!
Here's a thought... many of today's brides (think Princess Kate of William and Catherine) have 2 dresses! I guess it's one for the ceremony and one for the party! Because it is likely that there will be formal photos of you in your wedding (ceremony) dress, personally, I would keep the majority of your scar covered up. It's your one moment to be demure, the blushing bride, the princess we all dream about when we are little girls. Scars are us, this is true. But somehow, with all that white and floweriness that embraces the wedding ceremony -- I just think keeping things like that under wraps will give you a prettier "picture" when you look back on things. All eyes will be upon you. You will be hugging and smiling and close-up with all kinds of people -- many who may not know you, really -- his extended family and friends. Why bother with it -- just keep it tucked away until....

after the ceremony and such (not sure how involved yours will be) cake cutting, toasts, etc.. has passed, and you can slip away and put on the "second dress" that can be fun and revealing and just as bride-like! Then all your "party" pictures will show all of you!

Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be wonderful!!

Congrats, again, from someone who's coming up on 31 years of (a pretty darn good) marriage.

:smile2: Marguerite

hey guys!

Thanks so much for the support, These stories are so helpful! sorry it took so long to get back to everyone, but I have thought alot about it, and I definitely agree that I will not let my scar dictate my wedding dress. as a matter of fact I've already done some looking on line, and I think I know what I want, gotta see if it looks good on me first

I figure there isnt much I can do about the scar (it goes all the way to above the level of my collar bones), and its not like I really care most days anyways. . . like many have said, its part of me! If I can find a necklace I like to help take the center of attention off the scar I may do that, but otherwise, I'm gonna let it be!

Back