Scar Saga

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mara

My scar is still driving me crazy! I have tried every over-the-counter remedy and had no relief.

I know some people on here had cortisone injections. I wanted to find out:
1. did it help?
2. how much?
3. when post-op did you have it done?

I have heard that I should not think about it until one year post-op, but this dang keloid is itchy and sore and I hate it! If I wear a t-shirt that rubs in the scar it really aggravates it and makes it itch and burn! arghhh.

-Mara

After my 1st AVR in 89 my scar bugged me also.
My surgeon prescribed a cream that I think was some type of cortisone and it really helped.
Sorry I can't come up with the name brand.
And sorry to hear that yours is driving you nuts.
After my 2nd AVr I had no problems what so ever.
Wonder why? Oh the mysteries of the human body and healing.
Gail

Hi Mara,

I had a lot of itching almost the whole first year post-op on my scar. I remember still itching a couple of months ago. A few weeks ago it dawned on me that the itching has eased up quite a bit. Now only every once in a while it may bug me. I do apply Aloe cream to the scar twice a day which helped somewhat with the itching. I was using it more to help the scar fade. I never did cortisone so I don't know anything about the efeect that may have. By the way, sorry you couldn't get to the mini-reunion. Hope to meet you in October!

Hey Mara!
My surgeon's associate told me to rub vitamin e oil on mine... and it worked!!! I bought a little jar of the oil, but you can open a capsule and use that. It is very sticky stuff though. I used it also on my mastectomy scar as soon as I was able.... and I never really had an itching problem with it at all.

Take care,
Zazzy

Vit E Cream

Vit E Cream

Hi Mara,

I also used Vit E..but in cream form..it helped alot...the 'bra' drove me nuts!!! I'd have to wear it at work and found a cold wet cloth, applied just briefly, helped for a short time while at work.

Good luck..it will get better in time!!!

Joan *~*

Scar

Scar

I have to echo the vitamin E recommendations...I take capsuls so I just poked a hole in a capsul and used it up. I too used it on my mastectomy scars also...my surgeon recommended that. Hope you find some help

Vitamin E cream helped me quite a bit and is much less sticky than the oil. Make sure you apply it somewhat liberally and massage it into the scar until the cream disappears. Keep kneading it into the keloid - it helps break them down.

So, how long after surgery should you wait before trying the vitamin E?

Chris

I developed the keloids gradually. This began approximately 2 months post op and it began as an itching sensation. At about 5 months post op, my wife was at a plastic surgeon for a follow-up visit. We had a long term relationship with this doctor so I asked her about the keloids. She recommended the vitamin E cream as a first step which I began using immediately. I would ask your surgeon when you could begin using the cream - but suppose it would have to wait until the incision has fully healed to prevent contamination and until rubbing the cream into the area would not cause any discomfort.

Vit E cream

Vit E cream

I can't remember the exact time frame, but do remember the scar need to heal to a point, and then got the ok from my Doc before applying anything. I went back to work at 8 weeks...part-time, so I know for me it was probably about 6 weeks. I'm sure it differs for everyone, tho. Most important to get your Doc's ok first.

Joan *~*

Hi guys,
After Zazzy posted about vitamin E I bought some oil and have been using it for about 4 days. It really is starting to work! Amazing. The itching is a lot better. Who'd a thunk it?
Thanks!
-Mara

Glad to be of help Mara!!! It can be sticky... but better sticky than itchy!!!

Take care,
Zazz

Where is Ben's Itchy Scar?

Where is Ben's Itchy Scar?

I know for a fact that Ben Smith had a big time itcher at the reunion in Scottsdale. He couldn't stop rubbing that thing.

He'll chime in here sooner or later and let you know.

My scar hasn't bothered me for over 2 and a half years. (3 years since surgery) so I'm not much help. I do know that from what I've heard, time is your greatest friend.

Be patient - itchy will subcide :)

Mara,

I have an ugly 9 inch keloid scar and it still bothers me to this day. Not as bad as it did 18 months ago, but I can feel it often when I get up out of bed or out of a chair and try to stand up. Mine does not itch, but it pulls and hurts. I have put everything under the sun on it but the scar isn't looking any better today than it did 18 months ago.
I happened to see Ben's scar in Scottsdale and it looked worse than mine, but he was proud of his badge of honor he said. (No, I did not show him mine. LOL!!!)

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

Hi Christina,

My scar is long, too but just a thin line. The things I found helpful were the massaging the scar with the Vit E cream to break up the scar tissues, as someone else mentioned. In addition to that I went to physical therapy about 1 year post-op. This taught me different things I could do to 'stretch' the area and have it become more flexible. It is hard to explain, but it really helped alot!!! It's been too long for you to feel this uncomfortable, I think, but of course it is different for each person. I hope you ask your Doc about ordering some physical therapy for you. He/She may agree that it might help! I hope so..Take care, Joan *~*

Latest posts

Back