Scar Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
25 1/2 years, it's still there. But I'm a hairy guy so until I went gray it was almost entirely hidden.

pellicle;n873621 said:
there goes your Bikini modelling career ... you'll need to find another job now ;-)
Those sleaze bags at the agency kept promising him a contract. Scar, or no scar, this swim-wear thing wasn't going anywhere. There, I said it.

My scar from 30 years ago is white and thin and I've grown to love it. I'm actually sad that it will be replaced with a new one. I'm having my best friend do a mini photoshoot highlighting my old scar and then we'll do another one some time after surgery. I feel like it is something to be commemorated, but I'm a pretty sentimental person :p

I have a pet hypothesis that those of us who tend toward the aortic aneurysm side of the equation have the wide scars while those that don't have the thread thin, faded scars. My thought is that the scar stretches due in part to a systemic connective tissue disorder, which led to the aneurysm in the first place.

But I lack both the time and the devotion to the idea to do any meaningful research.

I have two scars, one over top of the other. Both are visible. I also have many tiny scars. From drain tubes and from entry ports for gall bladder and appendix removals (laparoscopic). Finally, there's a three inch line horizontally on my right shoulder where they had to access for the bypass machine during my aneurysm fix.

We took the kids to Disneyworld about six months after my last surgery and while I was fighting a rather nasty looking infection on my arm (which led to much scarring and bandages by itself). I think I kind of freaked out kids at the pool. Being 6' 4" with nice fresh scars all over would have been a sight to behold. Some youngsters might still be avoiding public pools and beaches all these years later.

Interesting. Have you read that somewhere Superman?
I don't mind the way the scar looks. In fact, if it had just materialised I'd think it made me look cool :)
But, it's a reminder of some unhappy days.

Agian;n876350 said:
I don't mind the way the scar looks. In fact, if it had just materialised I'd think it made me look cool :)

My lovely wife used to say: we are all born with smooth skin. Its the scars and wrinkles that show what we've been through and show our character.

Agian;n876350 said:
But, it's a reminder of some unhappy days.

No. It's my own idea invented in my mind to explain why I don't have a nice narrow scar like I see in so many bypass patients. With some allowance given for confirmation bias and selective memory.

No Title

15 months later. I've gotten use to it and no longer feel self-conscious. I think doc could have done a better job stitching it up, and I can (again) feel wires near the surface, but que serra serra. No one stares that I've noticed.

Attachments

• photo9135.jpg
    photo9135.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 111
My surgery was in 1991. I embarassed my daughter - I still hear about it - when I took her to a Father-Daughter event at her school. I had my the top shirt button open when I took her there. One of the fathers noticed my scar. Before long, four or five other fathers all had their shirts open, comparing OHS surgery scars. Most of these young guys had bypass surgeries, some had other surgeries. For young girls who were attending the event, it must have been quite a sight watching all these fathers opening their shirts, comparing scars.

My scar is still there, nearly 26 years out, but I never think about it unless someone mentions it.

Trinalovescats, I just came in from a long absence. But yes, you will keep the scar, a badge of courage for many of us. Do not worry about how it looks. You are very much alive, thank is what counts. I will tell you that what is more weird, a scar over an old one. I have to entries at the top, but then it merges into one. Hugs for today.

Trinalovescats, I just came in from a long absence. But yes, you will keep the scar, a badge of courage for many of us. Do not worry about how it looks. You are very much alive, that is what counts. I will tell you that what is more weird, a scar over an old one. I have to entries at the top, but then it merges into one. Hugs for today.

Latest posts

Back