Scar Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinalovescats

Im 9 months out,but I was wondering does the scar eventually fade or will it always be there?
It doesn't bother me,most stare and say I'm brave.
so I was wondering if anyone else gets stares from time to time.

I'm almost twelve years out from replacement, but my scar remains. It's very thin and a light pink color. Few, if any, people make mention of it when I'm wearing something where it is visible.

The top end of my scar easily shows with most things I wear (three years out from surgery), I don't try and hide it but no one stares as far as I'm aware. No one has ever said anything. My husband says it's good it shows actually !

Well, being a fella I've not as yet been in a situation where it was displayed. I was told to keep out of the sun for a year. Mine has widened a bit as it is flattening out. There's a straight line down the middle with a pink aura. I suspect the redness will fade and I'll be left with the line. I saw one guy and he had a very thin line. You had to look closely to even notice. Occasionally, it gets itchy. I'm about seven months out.

i get stares for behavioural reasons.

I'm one of those folks whose scars fade and blend in with the surrounding skin color. If I look carefully, I can find my scar by the change in texture and a narrow raised area. If I look in a mirror so that the focal distance is, say, 3 feet or more, I cannot even see the scar. Even more invisible during the summer if I have been outdoors without a shirt. I am just about 6 years out, and other than the lump of my pacemaker, one can really not see any outward indications of heart surgery.

epstns;n873284 said:
I'm one of those folks whose scars fade and blend in with the surrounding skin color. If I look carefully, I can find my scar by the change in texture and a narrow raised area. If I look in a mirror so that the focal distance is, say, 3 feet or more, I cannot even see the scar. Even more invisible during the summer if I have been outdoors without a shirt. I am just about 6 years out, and other than the lump of my pacemaker, one can really not see any outward indications of heart surgery.
How wide is the narrow raised area? It could be that because I'm using a silicon gel, my scar is flattening, widening it out a bit. But it doesn't look much different to the photos people have posted.

I think we scar differently on different parts of the body. Minimal on legs, arms and face; more so on my torso. I had a big cut on my leg, I have to look closely to find it.

I don't mind, I'm actually quite fascinated by it as it heals/evolves. There's a part about 2x2 mm that is bright red. Don't know what that's about.

i can understand why it would be anxiety-provoking for a young girl.

Trina, type 'ohs scar' in Google images to see pictures of your cohort looking happy and glamorous... And then there's our homie, Adam Pick, looking like a lobster on the beach.

Agian;n873285 said:
I think we scar differently on different parts of the body. Minimal on legs, arms and face; more so on my torso. I had a big cut on my leg, I have to look closely to find it.

and at different times in our lives too (in my experience)

Agian - sorry for the delay, but work sometimes gets in the way of communication.

In my case, the narrow raised portion of my sternal scar is only about 3/16 inch wide. It is really difficult to see from any distance outside my "personal space." I'm one of the ones who wouldn't have worried if my scar was visible, so it is ironic that mine really isn't.

I have too many other scars to count, in various places on my body. The only one that remains brightly visible is the scar from a hernia repair that was done about 50 years ago. It must have something to do with the surgical procedures and medications used then versus now. At least that one is covered by clothing. (I'm in the States -- we don't do clothing optional beaches here. . . )

epstns;n873557 said:
Agian - sorry for the delay, but work sometimes gets in the way of communication.

In my case, the narrow raised portion of my sternal scar is only about 3/16 inch wide.
That's around half a cm, which is about how wide my scar is. I think this is standard. I know one guy who has one about the same width as it would be if it was drawn on with texta. Thanks for the info.

I don't like the look of my scar now as the wire removal made it look a bit messy at the top so tend to keep my top button done up now days, all good though :)

My pacemaker scar is almost invisible now, and my OHS scar is visible but faint - I am 2.5 years since surgery, and did apply Bio oil for a very long time (sometimes daily when I remembered, for about a year) which is supposed to reduce scarring. Oil is not great when it gets on clothes of course, but it's easier for a man to walk around shirtless while it's absorbed!

Warrick;n873617 said:
I don't like the look of my scar now as the wire removal made it look a bit messy at the top...

there goes your Bikini modelling career ... you'll need to find another job now ;-)

Trinalovescats;n873188 said:
Im 9 months out,but I was wondering does the scar eventually fade or will it always be there?
It doesn't bother me,most stare and say I'm brave.
so I was wondering if anyone else gets stares from time to time.

it will always be there.

You can consider it a door opener for the sorts of stupid questions which normally go through peoples minds (but now that you have a scar too they'll ask YOU too)

On this image you can see at least two generations of my scars clearly. The most obvious of the older ones dates from 1992

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/c2.staticflickr.com\/4\/3873\/14359984689_1377ed3cfa_b.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I have used cocoa butter on my scars and it seems to have really helped to fade the scars away.
Two OHS and you can barely see them.
A farmer down the road told me about this years ago, there is some truth to some of these old home remedies.

Back