Sausage and Spinach Roll-ups

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wise

For all of you losing weight and for those who just like eating tasty food, here's a very good recipe.

For you WW members, each serving is 3 points. Cindy and I make this for dinner and we eat 2 Roll-ups (6 pts).

Sausage and Spinach Roll-ups

Serves: 4

POINTS value: 3

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 pound low-fat Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
1 onion, chopped
1 (10-ounce) package frozen leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 large egg, lightly beaten
8 (12 x 17-inch) sheets phyllo dough, thawed according to package directions

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray; set aside. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and onion and cook, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the spinach and then the egg.

2. Place 1 phyllo sheet on a dry work surface (cover the remaining dough with plastic wrap to keep it moist). Spray lightly with nonstick spray; top with a second sheet and spray lightly. Fold the 2 sheets in half, making a 12 x 8 1/2-inch rectangle. Spread one fourth of the sausage mixture over the rectangle and roll up from one of the narrow ends. Place seam side down on the baking sheet and spray lightly with nonstick spray. Repeat with the remaining phyllo and filling, making 4 rolls. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.

PER SERVING (1 roll): 156 Cal, 8 g Fat, 2 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 82 mg Chol, 644 mg Sod, 9 g Carb, 2 g Fib, 12 g Prot, 86 mg Calc.

Wow! That sounds really good! I'm going to give it a try. I hate feeling like I'm "dieting" and this would sound wonderful even if I didn't have to really watch my intake. Thanks for sharing this.

That sounds terrific. I may have my dinner set for tonight if I can get out to the store today.

Thanks Wise!

Karlynn said:
That sounds terrific. I may have my dinner set for tonight if I can get out to the store today.

Thanks Wise!

One thing I meant to mention is that I couldn't find smoked Italian sausage. I bought Butterball Smoked Sausage and added Italian seasoning and garlic. It doesn't have casings so I just broke it up with my hands and put it in the skillet.

An interesting thing is that I don't generally like sausages other than breakfast sausage. I'm hooked.

I wish I liked sausage. This sounds really good, but I wonder how it would taste without the sausage?

Mary said:
I wish I liked sausage. This sounds really good, but I wonder how it would taste without the sausage?

You might like it this recipe Mary; I'm not into this kind of sausage normally. However, you would need something to replace it if you didn't use sausage. Cindy suggests ground turkey with Italian seasoning added or whatever seasoning you may prefer. I guess tofu could be used for those who don't want meat. Another option could be mushrooms. Maybe adding some cheese also.

The phyllo dough is low in points. What I bought counts as 1 point for up to three sheets of phyllo dough. Get some phyllo Mary and come up with some more recipes for us!!

Wise said:
You might like it this recipe Mary; I'm not into this kind of sausage normally. However, you would need something to replace it if you didn't use sausage. Cindy suggests ground turkey with Italian seasoning added or whatever seasoning you may prefer. I guess tofu could be used for those who don't want meat. Another option could be mushrooms. Maybe adding some cheese also.

The phyllo dough is low in points. What I bought counts as 1 point for up to three sheets of phyllo dough. Get some phyllo Mary and come up with some more recipes for us!!

Mushrooms sound yummy! I could try ground turkey, but I would prefer the mushrooms.
I've never tried phyllo dough, but I guess it's time that I do!
Thanks, Wise and Cinday!

Mary said:
Mushrooms sound yummy! I could try ground turkey, but I would prefer the mushrooms.
I've never tried phyllo dough, but I guess it's time that I do!
Thanks, Wise and Cinday!

If you try the mushroom version, please let us know how it was. It sounds good to me too and even fewer points.

Freddie said:
All of this sounds REALLY YUMMY, and I'm going to try it!
One question - wouldn't the mushrooms make the dough soggy?
I love mushrooms.

You could cook the mushrooms in a skillet to release their moisture. After they're browned a little, they shouldn't be a soggy problem. I do this with mushrooms if I'm trying to avoid excess moisture. I use a cast iron skillet and lightly spray it with cooking spray.

I'm new to cooking with phyllo dough, so someone else may have more experience and have a better answer.

I made this today and it was really good. I did make a couple of small changes.
I cooked up a pint of fresh mushrooms and about a half of cup of really finely diced celery with the sausage and onions. The sausage I got was already cooked so I just got out my chopper and added it to the hot veggies and pushed it all over to the side of my largest skillet and then put in a bag of fresh baby spinach and just kept that in to wilt it and cook it a little. I took it out with my tongs and dried it really good. Since the sausage was already cooked there was literally no grease or extra liquid to deal with. I took the skillet off the heat and added the spinach back in and stirred in the egg.

My husband really liked them too. I'm not real good with the Phyllo dough so they tasted better than they looked. Anyway, thanks for the recipe. We'll do it again next time. I think I might add a little grated romano or parm cheese to the egg next time. You get a lot of flavor with that with not too many extra calories.

Latest posts

Back