Sad and angry here tongiht

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Scottie

Hi folks ..I know I don't post here very often ...but I do follow and pray for you all ... I am just so upset here tonight ...today I attended the funeral of one of my 16 yr old son's friends who was killed in a car crash last Sunday night ..tomorrow we attend the other funeral ...one more lad is still criticial in hospital ..I do believe in God and pray every night for you all ...but this week I must admit my faith in God has been sorely tested ..these were two lovely lads ..just started at University...both talented in both the sporting and music fields as well as academic ..they were both only children leaving their parents just devasted ..but more importantly they were both lovely lads ..well liked and respected by both their peers and adults who knew them ...our community is just stunned that two wonderful boys who were starting out in life could be so cruely snatched away ..for ever ...my son was part of the guard of honour today ....
why?
Scottie

Hi Scottie,

I can understand that you feel so terribly sad right now. Two gorgeous young lads in the prime of their lives. Yes, at times it feels that things are just not fair, and that it seems that God in heaven doesn't care. But he does Scottie! I know that he must be crying at what he sees happening in the world below him.
But when he created us, he made us all free moral agents with the right to choose right from wrong. When we make the wrong decision, any of us, there is a consequense and often it ends in the death of loved ones. Why did God let that horrendous act of war happen in New York? God was not involved in that. People were! They made the choice. They had hate and envy in their hearts for the people of the United States.
You did not say how the accident happened. Maybe you can elaborate a bit more.
All I can do from this far away is pray for the families that just lost their only sons and pray for the one that is still critical in hospital. and pray that he'll live.
I also will say a prayer for you so that your heart won't be sad anymore and that you won't blame God for this.

Let me hear from you.

Christina

Dear Scottie - I am always sorry to hear about the youth leaving us in such a horrid way. When my daughter was 16 (she's now 47) was about to graduate high school, her two best friends (sisters)were out on a Saturday night with two other friends (also sisters) when they were killed in a terrible auto accident - all four of them. The two families were desolate and inconsolable. The friends of these girls gathered at our house and stayed together day after day to help one another. To this day, I think my daughter's life was forever changed - she has never been quite ok since that dreadful time. She had planned to go off to college with one of them; therefore she never went. She usually would have been with them on a Saturday night but she had a date that night and was saved. Our community was also griefstricken and the church overflowed and people stood outside. The entire high school was in attendance. It left a mark on the community and they still talk about it. You, too, will always remember the days the boys died. My heart goes out to you and to your community, Scottie. God bless you all

God's tears

God's tears

Dear Scottie --

That's truly devastating. If our sharing your pain is of any help, we truly do so. May God's spirit of comfort be with you and your son and all the family and friends of the lost companion.

I can only think in circumstances like these that God, too, is crying. In the Christian tradition, after all, God too lost a Child in horribly tragic circumstances. Though we have the assurance of faith that all will be healed and reunited in the end, if in ways we can't understand, that doesn't reduce the powerful grief that I -- or, I think, God -- feel when the tragedy strikes. Why couldn't God prevent it? Maybe it's a consequence of the freedom and risk that was built into our universe, without which we probably wouldn't be human. The only remedy I find lies in the love we have for each other and our ability to build out of tragedy new relationships and new ways of protecting against it.

There is a wonderful story at the end of the first section of Jan de Hartog's history of the Quaker movement, "The Peaceable Kingdom," that has helped me. George Fox, one of the founders of Quaker Christianity in Britain, converted among others Margaret Fell, widow of a rich Judge and resident of Swarthmore Hall. As Margaret became more aware of her social surroundings, she discovered in the dungeon of the castle a series of cells where pauper children who had simply trespassed on the property or stolen a single apple were held in the dark and on starvation rations for years, subsisting as virtual animals when they didn't die of inanition. The experience shook her to the core and she just about lost her faith. George Fox happened by at that time, realized the crisis she was going through and took her on an evening carriage ride for comfort and support.

Margaret spilled out the horror and bitterness she had felt at her discovery. "How," she asked, "can there be a just God in Heaven if such pain and suffering exist under our very noses? Why doesn't God do something to prevent this, to save these children?"

The culminating moment of the first section of the book comes when George reaches over in the dark carriage to grasp her by the wrist. "Margaret," he cries, "don't you see?! He only has you to reach them!"

So maybe God, too, mourns and needs us to bandage these wounds and help make a world where our risks and tragedies are better handled, to be "instruments of His peace," as Saint Francis of Assisi said in the famous prayer. Perhaps He (She?)* strengthens us, shares our sorrows (feels them even more acutely) and yearns to act through and with us -- while abstaining, like a good parent, from forcing the act. Certainly love is the first step -- yours for your son, his for his friend, ours for you.

Sorry for the length. Please ignore any part of this that is not helpful. Your experience and what comes of it is more important than anything I say.

Peter

* I presume our God is above gender distinctions! (The problem doesn't arise in my wife's Persian culture -- though it's predominantly Muslim -- because 3rd person pronouns have no gender, so God is by grammatical definition both male and female!)

Last edited:
Hi Scotti, I'm sorry to hear that. A dear friend of my family's died on Wednesday night at 8:00. He died of pancreatic cancer in pain. I feel bad because I live 1823 miles away, and couldn't make it back before he died and couldn't say good bye. I couldn't even make it back for the wake and funeral, which I hear was beautiful. It was this morning. We just couldn't afford it with my heart surgery and all. Mike was an adult, but still...he was only 54 years old! We've both had a tough year, like I told my mom, the only difference is, I lived, Mike didn't. I will keep you and your son in my prayers, and please, keep your spirits up.

Thankyou

Thankyou

Thankyou for letting me get off some steam ...and yes I still do believe in God ..you're all right ...it was not his fault ..sorry Peter I still tend to think of God as male :)....
I know over the world many tragedies happen every day ,mostly at the hands of fellow man upon man ...but when it hits home it can be awful ...one reason why it's so lovely to know that although we have never met and live so many thousands of miles aparts we can still care about each other and reach out to comfort ...which you did ..for this I thankyou .
My son is slowly recovering ,the parents are having a dreadful time as expected and we are all trying to find some way to comfort them ..the critical lad is making a steady recovery ...it will take many many months but the outlook is hopeful and as his mum has said she is so fortunate to have him .
Thankyou
Scottie

Thanks for the update, Scottie. We're hangin' in there with you!

Peter

I'm sorry

I'm sorry

Dear Scottie.
I confess that I read your message the other day and didn't even take the time to extend my sympathy to you. I was so wrapped up in my own situation that I totally forgot about it until I saw it again today.

I'm so sorry about your son's friends. Please know that my thoughts, sympathy and prayers go out to you, your son, and the boys' families. And remember, there's a reason for everything that happens in life. Someday, it will be revealed to us all. It's really hard at the time to reason it all out, but it's not our responsibility to do that. It's up to Someone else.

Barbara (mimi)

hi scottie!
i, too, am so sorry about the sad news of your sons friend....
i agree with mimi (barbara) in that i feel everything happens for a reason. it may not make sense at the time, but i do believe that.
please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.
we are all here if you need to talk..
-sylvia

Latest posts

Back