Rx identification safeguard

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dick0236

Eat the elephant one bite at a time
Supporting Member
Yesterday, my wife, who is a retired RN, was given a "wrong" prescription by her Walmart pharmacy. While it was not a critical mistake, it was a serious drug switch. She went online and found that Rx drugs should have the "strength", "color" and "shape" of the drug listed on a sticker that is affixed to the pill container. This is intended as a further check to prevent errors and is a very good idea. Unfortunately, I could not find this kind of infor on any of my drug containers. When I checked with my local druggist, Kroger Pharmacy, that information is only included on Rx's filled at the local store. Since most of my drugs are 90 day supplies, they are sent to a "central Pharmacy" for filling....and the Central Pharmacy printers do not have that ID capability. I have instructed Kroger to no longer send any of my Rx's to the central operation and to fill them on-site.....which they readily agreed to do.

On a side note....during our conversation this morning, we compared pills......old people develop some strange habits LOL. We both take Lisinopril. I take 20mg from Kroger(Watson Labs)any my wife takes 40mg from Walmart(International Lab). Both drugs were same shape(round), the same diameter, and both were YELLOW in color. Hers did have 40 imprinted on the tab while mine had no strength identification. That surprised me as I thought Rx drugs had standardized strength coloring....not so. Warfarin is one of only a few drugs whose strength color is standard throughout the industry. Since Warfarin was the only drug I took until my mid 60s, I thought Rx drug colors identified the drug's strength.....nope!! Let the buyer beware.

Dick,

Glad your wife was cautious about the prescription. I wonder if this mistake happened with someone who is not as observative!:eek2:

Such mistakes are scary! And the similarity of the two pills is scarier, as one can easily take the wrong dose/pill by mistake!

Check your pills against the linked image. The 20-mg "Watson" Lisinopril should carry the imprint "408" which identifies the strength of 20 mg: http://pi.watson.com/show_image.asp?material_number=00591040801&type=product_shot.

Thanks for sharing.

Dick
I am not aware of what the regulatory requirements of Rx labelling are in the US.
However I always refer for Rx by the compound name rather than the trade name. Eg Warfarin rather than the trade name Coumadin.
In Australian the label attached by the pharmacist has the compound name and strength. This should eliminate any confusion with generic medications for those out of patent that may have a different shape or colour to the original patented medication.
The doctor usually writes an Rx for a compound rather than a patented trade name.

Dick,
I understand some pharmacies color code their bottle tops for various family members. You might want to look into this, even if you have to change pharmacies, if you are concerned you and your wife might accidentally pick up each other's bottles!

Back