Running

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

della_anne

I would just like to say that that's really great that people with heart conditions are still able to run marathons, that's amazing. I know that I myself cannot. How you gusy do it? I have no idea. I guess it really depends on each individuals specific condition. I myself know that I get short of breath if I try to run for long periods of time. Any physical activity I have to be sure to pace myself.
But for those of you who run....Keep on going!

Danielle

For the first year or so after my surgery, just walking was a big deal - I never invisioned that I would ever be able to run any distance.

About two years after my surgery, I tried running and it was horrible at first. I tried to jog/plod/shuffle/run at a "conversational" pace (i.e., at a speed where you can still maintain a normal conversation), but was only able to go a few yards at a time without stopping and walking. My legs and joints just ached at first. Gradually I was able to go a bit further without walking and after about three months was able to make it a half mile without stopping. After a year I was up to two miles. I was doing about 15-16 minute miles which meant I was frequently getting passed by power walkers and women jogging while pushing baby carriages.

Now three years later, I'm relatively comfortable doing 11-1/2 minute miles for up to 4 miles or so. I really enjoy running, even though I'm probably never going to be much faster than I am now.

I guess my point in all this is that sometimes you don't know what your limits are until you explore them. With your doctor's permission, try walking at first and when you feel like it then jog a few steps. It takes time for you body to build aerobic capacity, but if you stick with it for a while you might be surprised.

Mark

Each person's time table may be different, but the steps (pun intended) in the process are similar, regardless of the fitness level when you start.

Walking is the base. Build distance slowly. Add some jogging - get doctor's okay. Again, build distance slowly. Have fun. If it's not fun, then find some other activity that is fun.

Pacing yourself is absolutely essential for distance running, or any long activity. Being out of breath may mean that you going too fast, not that you have reached a limit. Alternating walk/run has helped me slow down. After walking for a minute, my heart rate drops, my breathing slows, and it's easier to resume at a slower pace. Alternating is easier on the joints and muscles as well. Remember to get plenty of rest and drink lots of water

I was a couch potato 3 years ago. Couldn't run 100 yards without gasping for breath and taking a nap. I didn't start running until I had been walking for several months. In that time I built up to a 12 mile walk and came to two conclusions.
1. I can cover the same ground faster and burn calories faster if I were to run.
2. Get a new pair of shoes - good ones at the running store.

Latest posts

Back