Running a 10k a year and a day after my op!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triff

Heyups, just dropping by to see if anyone has any tips or advice beyond that my cardiologist and non-cyborg running mates have already. :)

On 8th June last year I had a mechanical MVR, then during my rehab decided to raise money for my hospital's charity by going on a trek to Machu Picchu, which is happening in October this year. As part of our fundraising, I've somehow agreed to run 10k with two of my fellow trekkers (four mates are coming with me, all for the same cause) which is happening one year and one day after my op. A lot of people think I'm daft for doing this, but my cardiologist gave me the thumbs up and these days I'm all about letting some silly little scar keep me down.

That said, I'm no runner - I do mountain bike and I'm pretty fit, I also climb and snowboard (weather permitting) but I'm definitely not in my best shape ever. I've been very busy at work lately but I'm now fully into a training schedule (of sorts) with just under 4 weeks to go until the run. I'm thinking of doing it pushing a drip stand, and we're discussing how (or if) we can raise money along the route to put towards our charity, but mainly the drip stand suggestion is an excuse to not take it at runner's pace ;)

So anyway, I'm just wondering what experiences anyone who's had a valve replacement and is a runner has had, and if you have any tips or advice aside from the general fitness/training side of things that might be useful to me. As it is I'm planning on building up my strength/stamina until I can (hopefully) do a 10k without stopping, I don't care how long it takes me.

Thanks in advance!

I ran a 10k after about one year, but I had always been a runner and by then it was already my 7th race post-op. You say you have 4 weeks to go but don't say how far you've run recently. I'm assuming you can go at least 3 miles non-stop.

Over the next 4 weeks you should be running 3 days a week, preferably 4. Do 3 each day and one longer run say 4 the first weekend, 5 the next and 6 the third, but do not increase the daily 3 miler. It doesn't matter if you walk for portions of the long runs. Say you get to your current 3 mile limit. Keep going until it becomes stressful, then stop and walk a minute or two and run again. Run/walk until you get the planned distance in. By the 4th week, 10k non-stop should be no problem as long as you go at an easy pace from the start. Don't allow yourself to be pulled in by the adrenaline rush. Start way at the back of the pack and stay there. If you catch yourself passing many people, slow down.

Good for you Triff. Doing events to raise money for charities always seem to make them more meaningful.
Jack gave you good advice since you claim not to be a runner. Follow it and you'll do fine.
As a long time runner with a preference of marathons, I ran one, one year and one day post aortic valve replacement surgery. That was 6 1/2 years ago and I was 68 so you should have no problem. Good luck on both adventures.

Congrats on taking on the challenge! My two senior runners here have given you one good advice. You certainly should not have any problems running a 5k. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Latest posts

Back