run/bike with a history of a-fib/flutter?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

South Sound Sailor

2 weeks ago I dealt with pericardial effusion. I bounced back. Yesterday was one of the best days I've had post-surgery until 9:00 PM. Just as I was ready to call it a day, I noticed my heart rate was doing something funny, like it was both racing and skipping beats. Checked my BP and it was elevated. Pulse bouncing between 100 and 130 bpms. 1 hour later I was at the E/R in Olympia and found out I was experiencing atrial flutter with some signs of fib. Early this morning I received "synchronous electric cardioversion." My heart rate/rhythm was monitored for about 3 hours following the cardioversion and I was assured by the doc that I was back in rhythm.

The experience was not entirely bad. I have to tell you that the "rush" I experienced from the sedation RX, well let's just say it was "like WOW man!!!" ;)

So I came home and read through some of the older threads and I feel I have a better understanding. Most of all, I know that unfortunately, this is a common thing that happens post-op. Scared the heck out of me last night. But I'm home now and my doctors are advising continue on with normal recovery lifestyle.

This whole recovery process has been one crazy ride. Guess it's best to be on the ride than the alternative. And I guess all I can do now is hope that I never experience the flutter/fib again but I also know recurrence is a real possibility.

I do have some questions that I did not see directly addressed in older threads... how does fib/flutter impact exercise, especially long distance aerobic exercise (running/biking)? Does anyone out there with a history of fib/flutter have experience with training for 10Ks and longer runs? Are there serious health risks in doing long runs if fib/flutter can assert itself at any time? Thanks for any info!

Steve C.

South Sound Sailor said:
I do have some questions that I did not see directly addressed in older threads... how does fib/flutter impact exercise, especially long distance aerobic exercise (running/biking)? Does anyone out there with a history of fib/flutter have experience with training for 10Ks and longer runs? Are there serious health risks in doing long runs if fib/flutter can assert itself at any time? Thanks for any info!
Steve C.

This is a question I will be asking my heart rhythm cardio on March 6th. I increased my running intervals to 6 minutes yesterday, total time running was 24 minutes, 10 minutes walking in between. I felt great during and after, no issues. I had a-flutter post op, took flecanaide for several weeks, stopped about 3 weeks ago or so. I woke up last night and had trouble falling back to sleep. I noticed my heart beat really fast for a few seconds, settled down, and I fell back to sleep. Today, I had another episode, but it has not come back. My first thoughts are a-flutter again as my previous post op episodes came at rest. Currently, I'm on metoprolol XL, 25 mg a day and I take it at night. This cardio may just increase my metoprolol and that's all. He also asked if I had a history of arrythmias and the only thing I knew about were PVCs brought on with exercise and palpitations at rest.

Im four months out and Ive had three bouts with A-Fib, two that required hospital stays and I.V drugs, Its been two months or so since the last one and Im off all medication except aspirin, so far so good. My cardio said not to worry about exercise of any kind just go for it (his words). Im told its not unusual to experience Flutter or A-Fib in the first few months.
Good luck. It is a wild ride isnt it.

Hi SS,

I talked to the rhythm cardio about our running and he said that if we did not have an arrythmia such as atrial fib/flutter before, the further out from surgery we are, the less likely to develop one. He did say that if we notice any heart rhythm sensations similar to what we experienced post op with afib/flutter, we should be prescribed a monitor to wear for a period of time to track what is going on. He said not to worry during our runs. :)

He wants to see me again in 6 months, if nothing amiss, he'll release me back to my cardio. :) :)

Back