Ross Procedure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marvin

I have just found out that i will need to have my aoertic valve replace and one of the options given to me was the Ross vs the mechanical. I am looking for information from anyone who has had it and their opion on it. Was the pulmany valve replace with a donor valve or someothe type of valve. With the type of work I do and the possiblity of getting cut and haveing problems with my blood clotting if I have the mechanical valve is of concern to me. Any information would be greatly appreaciated.

I had mine in 2000

I had mine in 2000

Hi Marvin.
I had my RP at Cleveland Clinic in August of 2000.
My pulmonic valve was replaced with a homograph (human tissue)
Sounds like you are very active. I am and the thought of the coumadin scared the crap out of me. (in all fairness I would no longer be afraid of the coumadin after what I learned here on this site)
There are many option out there and you, as the patient, need to learn everything you can about each of the choices and make an educated decision as to what valve type fits you.
That was one thing that kept me interested in Cleveland Clinic (other them being rated the #1 Heart Facility in the Country), the cardio gave me web addresses and other places for me to go to gather information on my heart and the options that are out there for me.

Not to get long winded (my story is in the Personal Stories section of the site), the choice you make is personal to you.....no two situations are alike and you must make the choice with as much education as you can get.
This is a great place to learn. However, each of us have our bias'.

God Bless and keep us informed.

Ben

Welcome Aboard Marvin.

You can find LOTS of posts about the Ross Procedure by clicking on "search" at the top of the page. Also, there is another website (probably referred to in one of those posts) dealing with Ross Procedure.

Hope you will find these helpful.

'AL'

Hi Marvin,

You will find it hard to make the final decision. At least you found this web site before your surgery. I did not. I had a Ross procedure this past summer and have been doing very well. As things stand now, I would do it again. Coumadin did scare me but now I would be more accepting of it after reading so much more about it. Do the search and read all you can about it. I'd be happy to fill you in more via e mail if you want. Good luck with the decision and welcome!

Heather

Welcome Marvin,

I too am shopping for a valve and I'm leaning towards the Ross Procedure. I found a link somewhere on this site that was very informative and also had some personal stories. I believe the link is www.myrossprocedure.com

Marvin,

Welcome to the site; welcome to the waiting room; welcome to the ongoing valve selection debates! I've been interested in the Ross, too, since I got the word about surgery. Another interesting Ross site:

www.rossregistry.com

It's definitely in the Ross procedure promotion camp, but it's still got a lot of usefull information.

I would like to thank everyone that has replied to my post. I am still searching and am waiting for my date for surgey to be set. I should find that out in the next few days. That gives me more time to study each option. Does anyone know if you have to have another operation after the ross proc is it more likely to replace the donor pulmonary valve or the pulmonary valve that has been placed for the aorta valve? I read somewhere that it was more to replace the donor valve.

That's my understanding too Marvin. But since the pulmonary valve is under less pressure, it tends to hold up well. I found a site somewhere that broke down the mortality rates for Ross procedure and percentage of patients not requiring reoperation for the aortic autograph and pulmonary homograph in years. If I can find it I will post it on this thread.

Marvin,

I recommend that you read the thread entitled Anecdotal Observances, especially the post from Kenny F defending Tissue Valves.

'AL'

hi marvin!
i agree with all the others... coumadin, although joey wouldn't want to take it even today, is much more palatable when you take the time to learn about it.
it's often those who do not take it who tend to shy away from it.
valve choice is such a personal thing. and, once you've made your decision, your choice will be the right one for you.
joey had his r.p. about 2 1/2 years ago and is doing really well. he is 5 months younger than you are.
please take your time to do some research and if you have any questions at all, please feel free to email me at:[email protected] anytime.
i wish you all the best in your search, sylvia

Well got the news today that my surgery will be Feb 6th. So I will have to make my decison soon. Just wanted to let everyone know how much all your information has helped. I have been looking at the other links you have suggested.

hi marvin!
where do you live and where do you plan on having the surgery? who is your surgeon?
please let us know how you are doing as your date gets closer..
also, if possible, please have someone post and let us know how the surgery went.
stay well, sylvia

Sylvia

I will be having my surgey done at The Heart Center of Indiana in Indianapolis, I live in Lafayette which is about 1hr away. So my wife and I will be going down on Thursday to spend the day with our daughter who is attending IUPUI. Then that night our other two sons will be coming down also one is at Purdue University and the other is at Indiana State. So we plan to have a nice evening all together then go to the Heart Center at 5am. This is only about 15 mins from our daughters apt. My wife will let everyone know how things are going. Needless to say I will be glad when it is over and I am on the up side of things

Good luck, Marvin

Good luck, Marvin

Glad to hear that your wait's almost over. Drive carefully tomorrow - bad weather's coming (again) - we just keep passing it on to you guys.

May your mountain be a molehill and the truck miss you altogether.

If you could, please have someone post about your condition as soon as possible after surgery; we worry about everyone, including newbies. We'll be watching . . . ;)

Hope all goes well and you get out of the hospital soon and back home.

just wanted to let everyone know that we had all the pre op done today and now will be going to have the surgery done at 6 am on Feb 6. Will let you know how marvin is doing when he comes out. Thank you all for your information and prayers.

Hopefully Marvin is out of surgery by now and doing well!

yipee !!!!

yipee !!!!

So glad he is doing well. Tell him that we said keep walking, breathing, and resting and we will add the prayers, cyberhugs, and best wishes. Tell him please that everday will be much better than the day before.
Steve

marvin is doing alot better today. he will be up and walking more and has been more awake then he has been for the past 3 days. seems like the kidney problem is resolving itself and his breathing is coming along(breathing exercises not one of his favorite things but he is doing them).

Barb

Latest posts

Back