Ross Procedure....am I going the Right Way?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vhmoriarty

Is is true there are not alot of Ross Patients? My surgeon has performed over 72. No deaths.....only 4 have been repaired and one was just cause he didnt like the way it looked. To me that is pretty remarkable.

I guess my question is why did you chose against the Ross? Was it a option for you? Are there anyone that you can refer me to similar with the Ross?

Hi Valerie,

My hubby had the ross procedure at the age of 32 and he is really happy with his choice. They are many options for AVR out there and in the end you need to research them all and make the best decision that seems right for you. (Or you can let your surgeon decide!) Feel free to ask any questions/thoughts you may have.

Cheers,
Yolanda

Im 43 and looked at the Ross as an option. I ultimately went with a mechanical valve for my Aortic valve. My surgeon, who is one of the big dogs in Cleveland Clinic told me he wasn't a fan due to re-op rates compared to mechanical valve recipients. He simply stated that I can be a one valve patient with a mechanical or a two valve patient with a Ross. That struck a nerve with me.

On the flip side, since I've been on this site for over 18 months now and there have been a number of folks who have had Ross procedures and only a handful have had complications. Most seem very pleased with their choice. Personally I was a bit more conservative, I wanted to go with the type of procedure that gave me the best chance of not having to go through it again. I may ultimately need another surgery but all things being equal I thought mechanical gave me the best chance of my surgery being one and done.

I had an ascending aortic aneurysm repaired in 2002. I looked for a surgeon to do the Ross, found one at Rush here in Chicago with well over 100 done. He looked at my test results and recommended that I have the damaged portion of the aorta replaced and that they save my aortic valve in what is known as a "valve sparing" procedure. So far it has held up well.

The Ross procedure didn't exist in 1990 when I first had my valve replaced. My mechanical would still be going strong 19 years later if my aorta had not become a problem. I replaced it this time with the same type of mechanical valve with a conduit graft to replace the ascending aorta. Barring any further complications, I should be set for life.

My decision to have a mechanical valve was driven much the same as Ctyguy's (Scott). I had already had open heart surgery at the age of 2 and wanted to do everything I could to make my AVR be the last OHS for me.

We all make choices based on the information we have and our individual situations. My best advice to you is to make your decision and never look back saying "I shoulda, coulda, or woulda."

I met with all the yada yada workers today before my ross on 11/13.

I looked over my echos, ekgs, etc right along with them. Everything is in perfect order except my aortic valve.

So it looks to be that Ross is Right For ME!

I actually wanted the Ross porcedure too. In my case, my surgeon felt there is a high likelihood my pulmonic root is too weak to work well for a swap, so it was ruled out and I had to go for the AVR.

I had a Ross and I'm happy with it. Just remember that you're choosing between several options, all of which will save your life. All the options, really, can be a good choice, and only you can decide which one is most likely to be the best choice for you. I believe there was a poll a while back where forum members were asked if they were happy with their valve choice. Almost everyone said they were. You probably will, too, after it's all said and done.
Message me if you'd like to talk about my experience with my Ross.

A Ross procedure has been mentioned as on option for me - even at 56. I am considering that, but as far as how manya re done, I think a lot. The surgeon I saw in Austin, Dr. John (Chip) Oswalt told me he had done over 300 (he gave me a precise number, but I don't have it with me) with a 7 to 10% failure rate. Not as in death, but as in requiring additional surgery or treatment. I think it is becoming more and more common - and as the case with anything, practice makes perfect.

Rhena

hi valerie,
i don't believe there is a RIGHT or WRONG valve choice; i just think it's a very personal choice.
my husband, joey, had a ross procedure by a surgeon who had done many many rp's_ dr. paul stelzer. joey was his #304. it was very reassuring to know that there wouldn't be any surprises once in surgery, since by doing so many , chances were he'd encountered any and all of those.
so far so good. joey still has intermittent afib issues but we revisit those from time to time.
again, any of these surgeries will save your life; it's all about what is good for YOU.
this was the right choice for joey (and me).
good luck on the 13th. we'll be thinking of you and praying that all goes smoothly.
be well,
sylvia

My doctors counselled against the RP simply because they felt my BAV and vessel condition really meant that I'd be having a re-op sooner than later. Turns out I needed a re-op quite soon anyway, but now, I have regurg at my mitral (mild) and a bit of a leak at my pulmonary valve.

I'm making certain that these minor problems stay foreward on my doctors' radars. I don't want PH or COPD to limit my life especially since I've done all in my power to avoid CHF. So, be sure you can accept the idea of early re-op if things don't work out annnnd be sure to let your surgeon know your plan B.

Best wishes no matter which way you decide this very personal choice.

Take Heart
Pamela.

hey there valerie.. i was your age 10 years ago and considered the Ross.. I decided against it and went for the tissue instead for a few reasons...1) i was just plain and simple too scared of two valve surgery 2) the surgeon i met with - although world renowned-had huge hands- which i was also afraid of...and 3) i had already had 2 open hearts to fix my old valve 4) given my age and my desire for children, i knew that a reoperation was likely in any event...and i wanted to limit scar tissue on my heart to the extent possible..i guess i would say to you... do you want children and if so, have you spoken to any other ross patients who have gone thru pregnancy? at the time-- 1999- i coulndt find anyone to talk to...maybe you will have more luck..? for peace of mind.. all the same... i agree with what everyone says... its such a personal choice- there IS no right choice...its just what your gut tells you.. what your heart tells you is best for you....your life... your future..

ill be praying for you! hugs..
meg

hi valerie,
i don't believe there is a RIGHT or WRONG valve choice; i just think it's a very personal choice.
my husband, joey, had a ross procedure by a surgeon who had done many many rp's_ dr. paul stelzer. joey was his #304. it was very reassuring to know that there wouldn't be any surprises once in surgery, since by doing so many , chances were he'd encountered any and all of those.
so far so good. joey still has intermittent afib issues but we revisit those from time to time.
again, any of these surgeries will save your life; it's all about what is good for YOU.
this was the right choice for joey (and me).
good luck on the 13th. we'll be thinking of you and praying that all goes smoothly.
be well,
sylvia

Thank you so much for posting. I know the Ross is a uncommon procedure but I know there are others out there like your husband.
According to all my echos, MRIs, etc....the Ross seems perfect for me.
They are going to do a espoughal (sp?) echo before they even start the procedure so in case something is wrong they will know where to go. My pulmonary valve looks great on all the tests as well as my mitral valve. I do not have a ascending aorta, just the really bad aortic valve due to a congenital defect. I do have a plan B of going with a tissue valve if there is a problem as well and my doctor knows my descision.

hey there valerie.. i was your age 10 years ago and considered the Ross.. I decided against it and went for the tissue instead for a few reasons...1) i was just plain and simple too scared of two valve surgery 2) the surgeon i met with - although world renowned-had huge hands- which i was also afraid of...and 3) i had already had 2 open hearts to fix my old valve 4) given my age and my desire for children, i knew that a reoperation was likely in any event...and i wanted to limit scar tissue on my heart to the extent possible..i guess i would say to you... do you want children and if so, have you spoken to any other ross patients who have gone thru pregnancy? at the time-- 1999- i coulndt find anyone to talk to...maybe you will have more luck..? for peace of mind.. all the same... i agree with what everyone says... its such a personal choice- there IS no right choice...its just what your gut tells you.. what your heart tells you is best for you....your life... your future..

I have a daughter and one little angel already in heaven and a step son. So my tubes were tied while I was in the hospital with my daughter in 2007. They thought they were going to have to do my valve replacement at that time.

Is is true there are not alot of Ross Patients? My surgeon has performed over 72. No deaths.....only 4 have been repaired and one was just cause he didnt like the way it looked. To me that is pretty remarkable.

I guess my question is why did you chose against the Ross? Was it a option for you? Are there anyone that you can refer me to similar with the Ross?

I ride motorcycles and did not want to be on any ACT, it's been 2 1/2 yrs and I'm very happy of my choice so far. Only time will tell if it was the right decision but with as many minor surgeries and other non related issues I am glad I chose the Ross.

Hi Valerie,

I'm a Rosser myself. I had the Ross procedure in 2005 at the age of 26. At the time, I was very happy with the choice - and my valves are now doing great. The one downside is that I ended up with an aortic aneurysm. It's slight at the moment but it was a direct result of having had the Ross procedure.
Nowadays I believe they insert a Dacron graft or 'wrap' to prevent this - something you may want to discuss with your surgeon.

It's a highly personal choice, and can be an agonizing one - so best of luck to you! Will be thinking of you.

Melissa

Same here. Ross in 97 aneurysm and AVR 2008. Result of Ross procedure. Had no other weaknesses or stenoses, no other complications...still got an aneurysm. Like Melissa said above, I hear they "do" them a bit differently now. It does make you an automatic 2 valver. IF your childbearing is behind you, I'm not sure why you'd choose this. I know what it is like NOT to want to be on anticoag's the rest of your life, believe me, I didnt either, but it is manageable. Many of us with mechanicals test our own blood with monitors and dose ourselves (with cardiologist's blessing). Why not just have your aortic valve replaced with a tissue valve? No anticoag's and benefit of a new tissue valve? Just curious. Overall, it is you who must be comfortable. Also, one small thing I noticed...all of the Rosser's who said they are "fine and great" and all, most had their Ross done less than 10 years ago. My aneurysm repair and valve replacement were 11 years out. Not trying to scare you. Just hoping you make the most informed decision possible.

Back in 2007 I was faced with having to choose a valve at that time in case they had to replace my aortic valve at the time of delivering my daughter.

I chose the tissue at that time as well. Then I came known of the Ross Procedure. I spoke with my regular cardiologist whom was going to do the tissue valve in 2007. He said I was a perfect canadite for the Ross. I said NO I dont want to do the Ross I want to do the tissue. He asked me just to go and speak with the doctor.

So I did. I have chosen the Ross because I am hopeful that I will not have to expierence another surgery as you do with a tissue. I feel I have made the best decision at this time.

My late husband was on warfarin. I saw his life basically fall apart not just cause of warfarin but other reasons. I saw how sick he would become when his INR levels werent theraputic. I dont want to go through that.

My late husband was on warfarin. I saw his life basically fall apart not just cause of warfarin but other reasons. I saw how sick he would become when his INR levels werent theraputic. I dont want to go through that.

Too bad he wasn't around here at the time. We'd of gotten him staightened out. It stinks that the medical community has yet to get it when the drug has been on the market for almost 50 years, but they don't.

Latest posts

Back