rollercoaster ride

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maisiejane

Hi all,
I am all prepared for my AVR on Monday 6th, then I receive a phone call today from my surgeons secretary to say that an emergency has come in and my surgeon needs to use my slot as the other patient is urgent, I am now going in on the 7th January and having my surgery on the 8th. This is double edged as I have planned everything around my original date, but at least I get to spend 2 extra days with my family, unfortunately my forum buddy paleogirl will have to experience her surgery alone, but I will be able to gain from her positive experience.
Just hope they don't postpone me again, the joys of the NHS.
Deb x

Hi all,
I am all prepared for my AVR on Monday 6th, then I receive a phone call today from my surgeons secretary to say that an emergency has come in and my surgeon needs to use my slot as the other patient is urgent, I am now going in on the 7th January and having my surgery on the 8th. This is double edged as I have planned everything around my original date, but at least I get to spend 2 extra days with my family, unfortunately my forum buddy paleogirl will have to experience her surgery alone, but I will be able to gain from her positive experience.
Deb x

Sorry to hear that, I know it stinks to have surgery postponed even a couple days. I think I said earlier I personally believe you have surgery when you are "supposed" to have surgery. IF it helps at all, dont blame NHS, it pretty common especially in larger centers that do alot of ER cases or heart transplants. Justin has had 6 or so heart surgeries 3 were postponed at the last min (you can probably read some of my rants here at the time lol) a couple surgeries were postponed a few times, to the point until they were wheeling him into the OR I didnt really believe they would happen, If it helps to think about it at least you are healthy enough they pick you as the one that can safely wait for your surgery. 2 of Justin's surgeries were ER cases that postponed other peoples OHS, and all in all it is much worse being the person that bumps someone than the person being bumped. Altho it is VERY hard to think that way at the time when you just want to get it over

Hi all,
I am all prepared for my AVR on Monday 6th, then I receive a phone call today from my surgeons secretary to say that an emergency has come in and my surgeon needs to use my slot as the other patient is urgent, I am now going in on the 7th January and having my surgery on the 8th…<snip>...unfortunately my forum buddy paleogirl will have to experience her surgery alone, but I will be able to gain from her positive experience.
Oh Deb - I'm so sorry they have done this to you :( It's rotten as you're all prepared psychologically after all this time :( The joys of the NHS indeed :( It is really not fair to patients and certainly the NHS should have contingency plans in place for emergencies otherwise all patients end up as emergencies in the end :( The joys of private medicine too - I was having problems just yesterday, a bit of stress, nothing as bad as you are having. I will be at the prey of the NHS when I'm discharged from St Anthony's ! I think your surgeon will be apologetic to you and will make sure he does a perfect job on you, and I'm sure the nursing staff will be more appreciative of the stress you are experiencing.
Anne x

I know waiting is the worst part so I can understand the disappointment to have to wait a couple more days. But I don't think this has anything to do with the NHS. I had my surgery at Mayo clinic and for the surgery and my CT scans, I was informed quite clearly that my appointments would be bumped if there were an emergency. That IS the contingency plan - if necessary bump a patient that can wait when an emergency comes in.

To Deb,

I am so sorry your surgery has been postponed. Paleogirl is exactly right, if surgeries continue to be postponed for emergencies then they all will be emergencies! At least it isn't a month away, right?

All of us here are awaiting good news on your recovery, you and Paleogirl next week.

Happy birthday to maisiejane. Am I right about this?

Hi all,
Deb x

Deb,
I am sorry to hear that your surgery was postponed. I know how nerve racking that can be. I, too had my surgery postponed because of another emergency, but figured that if the other individual needed it more than me, that was a good thing! Although it is not something we want to happen to us, it does happen from time to time no matter where you live! Glad that you are looking on the positive side and taking it as a little more time to spend with your family.

Wishing you all the best and before you know it, you will be 'on the other side'. :)

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay -- I know that is nerve-wracking. In all fairness, though, I'd say it's not something that happens just with your NHS. Delays seem to be common in all sorts of health-care systems, public or private-insurance-based -- because of emergencies, doctors' schedules, patients getting colds -- all sorts of things. Wishing you a smooth path from here on.

Sorry to hear that, I know it stinks to have surgery postponed even a couple days. I think I said earlier I personally believe you have surgery when you are "supposed" to have surgery. IF it helps at all, dont blame NHS, it pretty common especially in larger centers that do alot of ER cases or heart transplants. Justin has had 6 or so heart surgeries 3 were postponed at the last min (you can probably read some of my rants here at the time lol) a couple surgeries were postponed a few times, to the point until they were wheeling him into the OR I didnt really believe they would happen, If it helps to think about it at least you are healthy enough they pick you as the one that can safely wait for your surgery. 2 of Justin's surgeries were ER cases that postponed other peoples OHS, and all in all it is much worse being the person that bumps someone than the person being bumped. Altho it is VERY hard to think that way at the time when you just want to get it over
Hi lynlw
I do remember you saying that I will have my surgery when I am meant to have it, and I must admit that it has made me feel better.
Thank you
Deb x

To Deb,

I am so sorry your surgery has been postponed. Paleogirl is exactly right, if surgeries continue to be postponed for emergencies then they all will be emergencies! At least it isn't a month away, right?

All of us here are awaiting good news on your recovery, you and Paleogirl next week.

Happy birthday to maisiejane. Am I right about this?

Hi mbeard,
Yes you are right it is my birthday, it has been an emotional but lovely day, to be honest I can wait 2 days, I am just thankful that it is not me that is the emergency.
Deb x

Sorry for the delay -- I know that is nerve-wracking. In all fairness, though, I'd say it's not something that happens just with your NHS. Delays seem to be common in all sorts of health-care systems, public or private-insurance-based -- because of emergencies, doctors' schedules, patients getting colds -- all sorts of things. Wishing you a smooth path from here on.

Hi SB,
I do realise it is not the fault of the NHS, and at the time of posting on the forum I was just lashing out.
I am happy to have 2 extra days with my family.
Thanks for your good wishes.
Deb x

I, too, am very sorry you have had your surgery postponed and know how difficult that is to cope with.
As the others have said, that is not just NHS that is responsible as it happens in many heart centers all over the world.

My first surgery, I did not realize it at the time but I bumped someone as I was the Emergency case.
I was the reason some heart patient was postponed because I had been in CICU struggling to recover enough to be well enough to be able to have the surgery. Had I not had it then, I might not have had another chance at it. That is something I will never know.

When it was time, four years later, for my second surgery, I was sure I would be bumped and prepared myself (as much as one can) to get the call pushing my date back and knew I'd have to accept that as 'paying it forward'. It didn't happen and I went to the same hospital, the same surgeon on the date scheduled.

I agree with LynW. You will have the surgery on the date you are intended to have it. We cannot know the mysteries of why things happen the way they do and we just have to accept.

Sending you ALL best wishes for a successful surgery and bump free, smooth recovery.
We'll be thinking of you and sending all good vibes as we do for everyone here.

Same thing happened to me...its frustrating but not much you can do. I was delayed 1 week. You are no doubt near the top of their list...My mindset was that until I showed up at the hospital on my big day and they started the prep, anything can happen to delay it. A guy came in a couple days after me with an aneurysm that had ruptured and really should not have even lived if you look at the odds. He was literally rushed right into surgery with no time to spare and bumped someone. Luckily he survived. So, anything can happen to bump those of us that are "planned". It doesn't make it any easier though :). Hang in there!

Hi all,
Deb x

Hi all, please disregard the above quote, I have just been called again and my surgeon performed the emergency last night so it is back on for Monday.
See you all soon and thanks for your support.
Deb x

Hi all, please disregard the above quote, I have just been called again and my surgeon performed the emergency last night so it is back on for Monday.
So my surgery mate is back with me - fantastic ! But what a rollercoaster ride for you ! Don't forget to change the date in your signature back to the 6th :)
xx

I guess I'd rather get bumped a day than get bumped later in the day, which can happen. More waiting and then maybe a more tired surgery crew? It'll be over soon, good luck!

Hi Deb!
I had a very similar thing happen to me. I went in on the scheduled date. I got all prepped, everything up to going into the operating room. I waited for a very long time; thinking about what I was about to do! Then they came in and informed me that because of an earlier case which had some difficulties, they were going to reschedule my surgery for two days later.

When I went back in two days later – the one thing that was amazing was I wasn't nearly as 'freaked out'. I think because I had already done that freaking, I was much more calm. It was also lucky for me that I was taken back early in the morning – everything went so fast from arrival to hospital to being asleep.

I wish you well. I'm sure that you'll do fine!

Latest posts

Back