Roasted autumn vegetable soup

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catwoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I love soups and all kinds of veggies. This soup is great for a lunch, with salad, some crusty French bread and a bowl of fruit for dessert. (I use my stick blender with this instead of a blender, since the soup is rather hot.) The next time I make this, I am going to test-taste it with a little nutmeg. Dunno how that will work, but it's worth a try.

It's a Weight Watchers recipe. POINTS® value 2 -- Servings 8 -- Prep time 25 min -- Cooking time -- 25 min -- Level of difficulty --easy

1 large onion, cut into large chunks
4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
6 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
4 cups winter squash, such as butternut, peeled and cubed
2 sprays cooking spray
3 cups fat-free chicken broth
1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400º F. In a large roasting pan combine onion, carrots, parsnips and squash; coat with cooking spray. Roast for 15 minutes.
2. Place vegetables in a large pot. Add broth and milk; season to taste. Cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes to allow flavors to combine. Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender in pot, and blend until smooth. (Puree soup in batches if necessary to prevent hot liquid from splatterng. Or allow soup to cool before pureeing.) Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.

Note:
You can add more water or broth to the pureed soup to achieve desired thickness.

Duffey:

I had never eaten or bought parsnips until I found this recipe. They look like white carrots.

I also have a recipe for oven roasted veggies (parsnips, carrots, winter squash, red onions, new potatoes, etc.) that uses a balsamic vinegar-olive oil marinade.

Marsha

Duffey:

I had never eaten or bought parsnips until I found this recipe. They look like white carrots.

I also have a recipe for oven roasted veggies (parsnips, carrots, winter squash, red onions, new potatoes, etc.) that uses a balsamic vinegar-olive oil marinade.

Marsha

I was just thinking I might be the only one here who isn't familiar with cooking parsnips but I see I'm not. I think I'll give this a try too. Thanks. I use Leeks a lot and I think I'll add some to the recipe. They just seem to help blend flavors together.

Hummm, nothing better than homemade soups especially when the weather starts cooling!

I've never made or tasted parsnips either but this recipe sounds wonderful & very easy to make!

Thanks for sharing it Marsha! :)

Marsha. I am not big on pureed soups but I would love your recipe for oven roasted veggies. I love all veggies but have never cooked with parsnip either.

Marsha. I am not big on pureed soups but I would love your recipe for oven roasted veggies. I love all veggies but have never cooked with parsnip either.

Terry:

I didn't puree it completely. I like textures in soups, so I left it a little chunky. You could puree about 3/4 of it and mash the rest so it provides some chunks. That's the way I like potato soup, too.

I was just thinking I might be the only one here who isn't familiar with cooking parsnips but I see I'm not. I think I'll give this a try too. Thanks. I use Leeks a lot and I think I'll add some to the recipe. They just seem to help blend flavors together.

I like leeks too. That would be a very nice touch.

Sounds like a yummy recipe. Parsnips have been a family staple since I was a child. Usually they were cooked and served along side a pork roast ("Pork & Parsnips".) I don't eat meats anymore, but I still do enjoy cooked parsnips. I'd like to try this recipe (I'd substitute veggie stock) but I don't have a blender. What's an imersion blender???

Jim

upon marriage, about 59 yrs ago, my husband asked me not to cook TWO things - one was parsnips; the other sweet potatoes. well, he didn't have to worry about parsnips because I didn't even know what they were, besides don't think they were sold in Miami at that time - my poor children grew up hating sweet potatoes because their dad had such disdain for them. now they buy, cook, order sweet potatoes and love them. but we never got into parsnips. He is a Chigoan and his mother was a Kansan so mayhap parsnips are a midwestern veggie? I love rutabaga and think they are similar.

I went to the store and purchased all the items to make the soup, Bina. After I get er done:p I'll be on the road. Tell me again, how do I get to Canada?:confused:;) Fred's bringing brownies for dessert.;):)

Just get on any highway that is heading North, but don't go too far,
I live in the southern area. None of that eskimo crappola for me.:rolleyes::D

Sounds like a yummy recipe. Parsnips have been a family staple since I was a child. Usually they were cooked and served along side a pork roast ("Pork & Parsnips".) I don't eat meats anymore, but I still do enjoy cooked parsnips. I'd like to try this recipe (I'd substitute veggie stock) but I don't have a blender. What's an imersion blender???

Jim

Jim, if ever you buy a stick blender, check out a mid range one.
Oster makes a great stainless one for around $60-$70 (cdn).

upon marriage, about 59 yrs ago, my husband asked me not to cook TWO things - one was parsnips; the other sweet potatoes. well, he didn't have to worry about parsnips because I didn't even know what they were, besides don't think they were sold in Miami at that time - my poor children grew up hating sweet potatoes because their dad had such disdain for them. now they buy, cook, order sweet potatoes and love them. but we never got into parsnips. He is a Chigoan and his mother was a Kansan so mayhap parsnips are a midwestern veggie? I love rutabaga and think they are similar.

I love rutabagas!!!! Thank heavens John hates them; that means there's more for me to eat.
I recently sprinkled nutmeg on some, and it really was good.

I don't care for mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallows & pecans, like they serve at Christmas & Thanksgiving. I prefer baked sweet potatoes. That is heaven.

Are parsnips similar to turnips, but not as bitter? I think I've had them and they were fine.

Marsha, I'm the opposite on the sweet potato. I need the added sweet for some reason. I just use butter or margarine and splenda. I don't need the cinnamon typically served with them. However, if you can get good sweet potato fries, that is one of the best things in the world!

Latest posts

Back