Road Trips / Volo Auto Museum

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Since I'm working half-days for the next couple weeks, figure I'll take advantage of the extra time off on Friday the next 2 weekends (March 14-16 & March 21-23) & "get outta town"....

Thus...this weekend (March 14-16) I'm thinking of driving to Peoria IL, then maybe through Bloomington/Normal &/or Decatur &/or Champaign/Urbana & maybe as far south as Effingham IL to see some friends there, too :). Let me know if you're "in my path"...& maybe we can meet up ;).

Next weekend (March 21-23) is open....I could be persuaded to go up to WI...or to IN...or...???

THEN...some weekend soon (March 29? or April? May?) I'd like to visit the Volo Auto Museum in Volo IL (http://www.volocars.com). From what I understand, it is an awesome place.... Anyone interested in meeting there for some weekend fun?

Thinking spring & celebrating one year of '72 MC ownership ;),
Cort S, pig's valve & pacemaker-enhanced 29/swm

Last edited:
FWIW, looks like I'll be in Peoria Friday (tomorrow) night, then through Bloomington IL around lunchtime Saturday, to near Effingham for Saturday night, returning home Sunday....

Memories!

Memories!

Man, Cort, that really brings back memories. We used to do lots of weekend road trips to all the regoinal rod and custom shows. When I was managing the show at McCormick Place, I was also a judge and judging supervisor at lots of the other shows on the circuit.

Many, many dynamite road trips to you!

He he he...thank you :)...I LOVE road trips ... especially when I get to see old friends...and meet people I know from message boards, etc., which is exactly what this trip is about :).

Unfortunately, I'm not going for any car shows this time around...taking the dang 2000...but, ah well...better to be out of town this weekend...would be too tempted to get the older 4 out...still a bit too much salt on the roads for my taste...besides, kinda need that extra savings (on insurance premiums) for medical bills.... :(. Unfortunately, this trip means I'm missing the Chevy/Vette Fest this weekend...but, I need to get outta town for a while...been a long time since I've been away for a weekend.....

Outta here for now...will be back sometime on Sunday ... don't do anything I wouldn't do while I'm gone ;).

I'm baaacckkkk...and had a GREAT weekend!!!

FRI, MAR 14, left Elgin about 3:30pm [Chicago times]...arrived in Peoria [via IL RT 20, Plank Rd, I-39, IL RT 116, IL RT 150, into Peoria] about 6pm...went to a basketball game with a friend, then went to Sully's (iirc).

SAT, MAR 15, left Peoria about 11:30am...arrived in Bloomington (via I-74) about 12:15pm and ate lunch with Todd S (black/tan 88 SS) from the Monte-list at the Steak'n'Shake on Route 9 [missed seeing Derek A, tho]. Then, left Bloomington about 1pmish, arriving in Bellflower IL (via I-74, IL RT 136) about 2pmish, to visit with Alex W (72 MC, 85 SS, 71 MC parts car) from the 1st Gen MC club/board. Left Alex's about 4pmish...arriving in Wheeler IL (via IL RT 136, IL RT 47, I-74, I-57, IL RT 121, IL RT 33) to visit with my buddy Jay J (73 MC 454; 73-77 Yahoo club & NMCOA) and his family for the evening.

SUN, MAR 16, ate breakfast with my buddy and his family in Effingham IL, then went to see Charlie (72 MC) from the 1st Gen MC club/board, arriving in Pesotum (via I-57, IL RT 45) about 1pmish. Charlie took me for a spin in his 72 before I left there about 2pmish, arriving home (via I-57, I-74, IL RT 47, cutting across to Randall Rd around Batavia) about 5:30pm.

Tally of MCs I saw during my travels (perhaps too early for the older ones):
G1/70-72 = 3
G2/73-77 = 1
G3/78-80 = 1
G4/81-88 = 9
G5/95-99 = 41
G6/00-03 = 48

Ahhh...if only weekends were longer ;).

NOW...NEXT WEEKEND (MAR 21-23) I'm planning on another road trip...but, to where is to be determined.... I could be persuaded to go to Wisconsin, Indiana or Michigan...I know people in all 3 states...and it is always cool to meet people (as I did this weekend)!!! ;)

THEN..TRIP TO Volo Auto Museum (Volo IL) Mar 29...anyone want to go/meet there?

Last edited:
This coming weekend's road trip itinerary may look somewhat like this...let me know if you are on my way &/or want to meet up somewhere....

FRI, MAR 21...leave Elgin, headed for Marion IN (&/or other places in Indiana...?) via IL RT 47, RT 24, etc.

SAT, MAR 22...leave IN, headed for Flint MI (& maybe other areas in Michigan...?) via I-69

SUN, MAR 23...head home from MI via I-94

Unfortunately, this means I won't be visiting anyone in Wisconsin...sorry, but ya'll didn't speak up soon enough...this time, anyway ;).

Then...I already have some people interested in meeting in Volo IL, SAT, MAR 29, to tour the Volo Auto Museum.... [Maybe you Wisconsinites can come down for that?] Let me know if you want to go &/or meet us there :).

Considering 2 different '87 MC LSs & an '83 El Camino; 2000 has to go,

Last edited:
Cort,
Did you want to get together with us Michiganders? Flint is not that far. Set a place and time, perhaps we can meet.

Jim,

That'd be great.... I'm planning to meet up with some people from the 1st Gen MC club in Flint...the more the merrier ;). Looks like I'll be leaving Marion IN about 9am Saturday morning...so, arriving in Flint sometime between 1pm and 2pm, unless other people suggest I stop other places :).

As I finalize plans later this week, I'll post again....

Attempting to finalize plans....

IL / WI / IN members:
Volo Auto Museum...Volo, Illinois...March 29...time to be determined (opens at 10am, closes at 5pm)...I'm planning to go; I know a few others intend to come, too...would be great to have a bunch of people to tour the place :). Let me know if you plan to join us....

IL / IN / MI members:
I'm heading your way this weekend (March 21-23)...let me know ASAP [preferably by tomorrow (Thursday, 3/20) night] if you want to meet up somewhere....

FRI, 3/21...leave Elgin about 2pmish Chicago time for Marion IN (&/or other places in Illinois/Indiana?) via IL RT 47, to RT 24 (@ Forrest IL), to RT 35 (@ Logansport IN), to RT 18 (@ Galveston IN) into Marion IN.

SAT, 3/22...leave Marion IN about 9amish IN/MI time for Flint MI (& maybe other areas in Indiana/Michigan?) via RT 18, to I-69 (straight up past Fort Wayne IN, Battle Creek MI, Lansing MI) into Flint.

SUN, 3/23...leave Flint MI about 10-11amish MI time for home (with stops in between?) via I-69, to I-96 into Grand Rapids for a short stop, to I-196, to I-94, to I-294 (around Chicago), to I-290, etc....

Future roadtrips this year [paths to be determined]:
June 27-29...to Elyria OH (MC Nationals)
Aug 7-17...to near Johnstown PA (family reunion) then through Virginia & Tennessee (Nashville/Jackson) to Branson MO for the 1st gen MC gathering (& maybe into Kansas...?)
Sep 19-21...to Pittsburgh PA

Always cruise nights & shows...contact me for details..... And, ya'll can come visit me....

Looking forward to road trippin', seeing friends & meeting people ;),
Instant Messengers...AOL="fc72mc"...Yahoo="knightfan2691"
MC's Future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/
My MC Family & Story = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
G1=1970-1972...72...2nd owner, Mar '02
G2=1973-1977...76...2nd owner, Dec '98
G3=1978-1980...79...3rd owner, Oct '92
G4=1981-1988...81...2nd owner, Dec '99
Ga=1995-1999...uh, no
Gb=2000-200?...00...1st owner, Oct '99 ***FOR SALE***
RIP: 1976=Parents' [my] car ... 1988=Silver Bullet
*****WANTED: 87 MC LS (or) Olds Cutlass*****
http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html

The trip to Volo Auto Museum is THIS COMING Saturday :). Anyone joining us?

...I'm baaacckkk...and had a blast during my IN/MI road trip :). Had beautiful sunshine for Friday's drive.... It was good to re-connect with friends :). Had cloudy weather for the drive up to MI.... It was cool to meet some folks...and re-connect with friends as a "surprise" trip to just north of Detroit followed by drive to Flint ;). Had clouds and then plenty'o'sunshine for Sunday's drive.... Definitely nice to meet another person in the Grand Rapids area :). Jim, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet with you while I was in MI...definitely next time :).

...Course, now, it's "back to reality"....LOL.

Tally of MCs I saw during my travels:
G1/70-72 = 19 (most @ 1 location) [22 in 2 weekends]
G2/73-77 = 2 [3 in 2 weekends]
G3/78-80 = 4 [5 in 2 weekends]
G4/81-88 = 12 [21 in 2 weekends]
G5/95-99 = 80 (121 in 2 weekends]
G6/00-03 = 97 (145 in 2 weekends]

...Let me know if you want to meet up along my future travels :).

Spring is HERE!
Instant Messengers...AOL="fc72mc"...Yahoo="knightfan2691"
MC's Future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/
My MC Family & Story = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
Spotting MCs = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html

Latest posts

Back